RAPID Synthesizer | Rapid 1.8.0 released | Free "SP - Granular Elements"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic

sircuit wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:14 pm Right click - to see the actual value. You can also copy it. Rapid is a synth that does not accentuates the use & display of numbers - kind of lets you going with your gut. Some people like it, some not. Imho this way gets faster results (the OCD in many people is pushing them/us to either type in values or adjust the knob until the value is round - and that’s not a “rapid” approach [pun intended])
Rapid make it more "trust your ears" not the numbers sort of thing? I like it in way, but maybe difficult for follow some tutorials when they use numbers for beginner like me :D

There is a lot to love about Rapid.
But I think the complete exclusion of a midi out on what at first glance appears to be a multi timbre instrument confuses me.
If I work hard on a midi Arp line which the Synth encourages and I achieve a good result I cannot export that Arp.
I am not liking the bandpass filters at all, without decent bandpass gritty acid lines will never cut it.
The flanger and phaser seem to output a high pitch whining noise I find obnoxious.

Something about the modulation effects that I don't get on with. I can't seem to make the chorus not sound like a comb filter. I think they need more controls personally.

Mik_lo wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:42 pm Something about the modulation effects that I don't get on with. I can't seem to make the chorus not sound like a comb filter. I think they need more controls personally.
The chorus is another insert effect that needs a bit of love and care.
Ruta Sound have done an outstanding job on nearly everything bar:
Bandpass Filters
Phaser
Flanger.

Jonas Harmon Lane wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:25 pm without decent bandpass gritty acid lines will never cut it.
You mean acid lines like the TB303 ?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:24 pm

You mean acid lines like the TB303 ?
As much as I love the TB303 with its basic filter I mean more like the bandpass in Dune3.
It has clarity, grit and yet retains everything I like in a good bandpass filter.

The TB303 uses a Low Pass Filter for its classic Acid sound. Dune 3 also has a dedicated Acid Low Pass.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:50 pm The TB303 uses a Low Pass Filter for its classic Acid sound. Dune 3 also has a dedicated Acid Low Pass.
But I am talking about the limitations of Rapids bandpass, any mention of acid and some naturally assume a 303.
Anyway anyone that is remotely into Psy should know what I mean about Bandpass Filters.
You should download a free demo of Dune3 from the Synapse web site, test it with a wide range of settings and then come back to Rapids Bandpass Filter.
If you followed my instructions carefully you are in for a bit of a shock.

lol..
oh such Irony. Teksonik beta tests for Synapse Audio.
I am going to go out on a limb here and take a wild guess that he is very familiar with Dune 3.
rsp
sound sculptist

Jonas Harmon Lane wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:06 pm But I am talking about the limitations of Rapids bandpass, any mention of acid and some naturally assume a 303.
Name the synth that is mainly responsible for the "Acid Sound'.
Jonas Harmon Lane wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:06 pmYou should download a free demo of Dune3
I've owned Dune from version 1 all the way to Dune 3 and have done hundreds of patches for it.

I don't ask Rapid to do Acid sounds since I have other synths for that. I'm asking it to do more complex layered sounds and it does those with brilliance. :wink:

Teksonik wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:16 pm [

I've owned Dune from version 1 all the way to Dune 3 and have done hundreds of patches for it.

I don't ask Rapid to do Acid sounds since I have other synths for that. I'm asking it to do more complex layered sounds and it does those with brilliance. :wink:
You are lucky to own both then. I don't have that luxery.
I am glad that at least you will concede that Rapids bandpass aren't up to snuff.

Jonas Harmon Lane wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:06 pm
Anyway anyone that is remotely into Psy should know what I mean about Bandpass Filters.
You should download a free demo of Dune3 from the Synapse web site, test it with a wide range of settings and then come back to Rapids Bandpass Filter.
This! I'm not that remotely into psy, and i absolutely agree, Rapids bandpass filters aren't really good for the typical psy acid/squelch patches, Dune's BP filters are much better for that.

I also agree about the modulation effects, they don't hold up to the quality of the other effects.

Other than that, Rapid is a really great synth and I use it a lot, especially for various morphing and evolving wavetable sounds.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I have Dune 3 and Rapid and both are some of my favorite synths and I also make Acid stuff sometimes and Rapid can create great Acid sounds with its analog filter!
Last edited by clipnotic on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I agree with this:
"Something about the modulation effects that I don't get on with. I can't seem to make the chorus not sound like a comb filter. I think they need more controls personally".

OK in small doses but the Chorus just doesn't sound good to me apart from as a special fx mixed in a bit.

Jonas Harmon Lane wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:21 pm I am glad that at least you will concede that Rapids bandpass aren't up to snuff.
I'm not "conceding" anything. I simply said I don't ask Rapid to do Acid sounds. I don't have a problem with Rapid's Bandpass filters.

Return to “Instruments”