Komplete 13, ladies and gents

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Komplete 14

Massive X isn't Massive 2, it's a completely different synth.

And even if it was Massive 2, that doesn't warrant patch compatibility. See Dune 1 and Dune 2.

Just curious If everything is still vst2 or will there be any vst3 updated plugins? Also any resizable GUI updates?

Thx

chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:44 pm Massive X isn't Massive 2, it's a completely different synth.

And even if it was Massive 2, that doesn't warrant patch compatibility. See Dune 1 and Dune 2.
As i said - they should have taken another name. Apart from that, the release was overhasty (missing features, bugs ect.) But i dont want to start another Massive X debate. If you're fine with Massive X, i am happy for you. I dont need another wavetable synth and i dont see that Massive X gets the same love from third party sound designers, that Massive 1 got. Sooner or later i will upgrade my Komplete but at the moment i'm not very attracted :shrug:

ozinga wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:00 pm
Just curious If everything is still vst2 or will there be any vst3 updated plugins? Also any resizable GUI updates?

Thx
VST2 still, GR6 does have resizeable/scalable GUI. That's all.

audiot wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:10 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:44 pm Massive X isn't Massive 2, it's a completely different synth.

As i said - they should have taken another name. Apart from that, the release was overhasty (missing features, bugs ect.) But i dont want to start another Massive X debate. If you're fine with Massive X, i am happy for you. I dont need another wavetable synth and i dont see that Massive X gets the same love from third party sound designers, that Massive 1 got. Sooner or later i will upgrade my Komplete but at the moment i'm not very attracted :shrug:
Massive X is pretty damn awesome. But, your decision of course.

I think you're also a bit quick to say that MX doesn't get the same attention as Massive 1. I don't know how long it took back then for Massive 1 to take off, and I was always surprised how much attention it got from the EDM producers (I guess NI simply did a good job to market it as a EDM machine, and probably it also was lucky that it got such a popular synth for Dubstep).

Anyway, to each his own. I'm pretty saturated when it comes to synths, and MX was one of the very few which really interested me, and I wasn't disappointed.

But, to get back to your point: It's pretty pointless, and also impossible to make the synth patch compatible, when its sound has nothing to do with a predecessor (even though it isn't one) anymore. And, IMO, MX sounds a hundred times better, and both synths can happily live aside of each other, especially when you own Komplete which has them both.

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:16 pm
VST2 still, GR6 does have resizeable/scalable GUI. That's all.
Thank You.

chk071 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:20 pm
audiot wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:10 pm

Massive X is pretty damn awesome. But, your decision of course.

I think you're also a bit quick to say that MX doesn't get the same attention as Massive 1. I don't know how long it took back then for Massive 1 to take off, and I was always surprised how much attention it got from the EDM producers (I guess NI simply did a good job to market it as a EDM machine, and probably it also was lucky that it got such a popular synth for Dubstep).

Anyway, to each his own. I'm pretty saturated when it comes to synths, and MX was one of the very few which really interested me, and I wasn't disappointed.

But, to get back to your point: It's pretty pointless, and also impossible to make the synth patch compatible, when its sound has nothing to do with a predecessor (even though it isn't one) anymore. And, IMO, MX sounds a hundred times better, and both synths can happily live aside of each other, especially when you own Komplete which has them both.
Yes, but they also could have programmed a synth with backwards compatibility in mind. A lot of developers do that. The fact is that Massive 1 was abandoned with the release of Massive X and Massive X doesnt get the same attention by 3rd party sound designers and i doubt that this will change (to much competition in wavetable department nowadays).

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:25 pm
imrae wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:47 am
EvilDragon wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:57 pm Dr. Julian Parker and his colleagues actually made a public paper based on this tech, modeling the MS-20 filter.

http://dafx2019.bcu.ac.uk/papers/DAFx2019_paper_42.pdf
This paper explains why oversampling is stuck in the "on" position; for best performance, they would need to re-train the model for every supported sample rate. Simpler to pick a high one and then upsample from whatever people are using!
No, that paper has nothing to do with old amps (old modeling tech, unrelated to ICM) always being set to HQ mode.
It's a reason to avoid offering control over oversampling for the new amps. In which case, for UI consistency, it is cleaner to not provide this option for the old amps either.

Interesting but perhaps unsurprising that NI / Universal Audio (given their influence on the market) get to release new products using the old VST2 SDK . I thought mistakenly that VST3 was the only option for new plugins. I am likely very misinformed. Anyone care to educate me on this?

Scotty wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm Interesting but perhaps unsurprising that NI / Universal Audio (given their influence on the market) get to release new products using the old VST2 SDK . I thought mistakenly that VST3 was the only option for new plugins. I am likely very misinformed. Anyone care to educate me on this?
I think Steinberg does not distribute the VST2 SDK to new devs.
But devs that already have it can use it for new plugins as well.

Me thinks... :)

- Mario

mabian wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:52 pm
Scotty wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm Interesting but perhaps unsurprising that NI / Universal Audio (given their influence on the market) get to release new products using the old VST2 SDK . I thought mistakenly that VST3 was the only option for new plugins. I am likely very misinformed. Anyone care to educate me on this?

- Mario
yes. this is why Plasmonic will not have a VST2 version. his company is new and Steinberg would not let him access the VST2 dev kit. only VST3

https://rhizomatic.xyz/index.php/plasmonic/

Yes. The original Massive actually had a well designed GUI.

Massive X, the synth thats like Marmite. You either love it or hate it. :)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:36 am
Yes. The original Massive actually had a well designed GUI.
and a browser

dayjob wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:04 pm
mabian wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:52 pm

- Mario
yes. this is why Plasmonic will not have a VST2 version. his company is new and Steinberg would not let him access the VST2 dev kit. only VST3

https://rhizomatic.xyz/index.php/plasmonic/

Actually AFAIK you can still build VST2s with VST3 SDK.

Return to “Instruments”