Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

I did buy serum actually, because of the rent to own thing mostly. Maybe that's something
which might help a lot of fans out if it can be arranged.

Good point. A lot of companies are moving to that model. But it requires some sophisticated infrastructure to implement it and enforce it. The voluntary upgrades also function as sort of a simplified version of that, though it is not strictly enforced.

I think it would be reasonable to charge extra for that, to cover the cost of the service.
Something like splice must be relatively easy to build in for the developer, otherwise
it wouldn't be much of a service. Worth looking into maybe.

-Cheers

deleted

Yes it is actually better for the developer since in theory it provides more regular income.
It is very popular now days with advanced products like Adobe Photoshop.
Instead of forking out a thousand bucks you pay ten dollars a month.
I actually prefer that.

I'm not sure though that it is practical with a plugin.
My guess is that most of our users would not want regular withdrawals from their credit card.

It could also be difficult for a small developer because all someone has to do is buy the product and then change their credit card number, which I do all the time. And then the developer has to go chasing down the user to correct the problem. Then instead of being a developer you turn into a collection agency. Seems to me that could turn into a disaster for everyone unless you are a big company like Adobe who has a unit of people dedicated to shaking people down.

I actually consider the release a huge success.

There have been a lot of complaints about my terrible instructions. But not a single complaint about the new license system. It seems to be working flawlessly. In fact the server reports that many people are even using it for Fathom Pro when they don't even really need to, it's that easy. Then again we tested the hell out of it in the beta so maybe that is why.

No bugs yet either except the Apple Mac OSX security problem which we now seem to have a solution for.

I just created a free Metamorphic Sample Pack.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

You can load those into Fathom Mono, Fathom Pro, and obviously AVX and Vector.

Also, the buy page now contains links to the Intel AVX and Fathom Vector pages.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/buy

These pages provide a detailed explanation of Intel AVX and Fathom Vector including screenshots of all 16 oscillator pages.

Fathom Vector 3.1 will be coming out in the next couple days probably Tuesday.

It includes a bug fix for no click note starts when AVX is enabled.

It will also include Fathom FX.

Fathom FX is a separate plugin consisting of all modules except the oscillators with a new host input module. The host input module includes independent output connection controls with volume, pan and built in delay for each connection and independent direct host output. All filter and effect controls can still be modulated with the same modulators. Song position modulation such as LFO's works exactly the same way. Monophonic note modulation such as ADSR's is also available if your host provides the ability to route midi on the track to both the synth and the effect.

Fathom FX is free to anyone running Vector.

Hi guys,

I'm just getting back to Fathom, I haven't used it in a long time. Is it possible to modulate or automate an envelope? Let's say I would like to have an LFO modulating the decay time of the volume envelope, or automate from the host the attack time of the filter envelope.

PS: I'm not sure if this is the thread I should be asking this sort of stuff, so let me know if I should post this elsewere.

You can kind of do this, but it's clumsy -- I don't think the design is really intended to support it.

It looks like you can't modulate the "ADSR easy" envelope, only the full multisegment envelope, and not all the controls. Set it to one segment, move the control points so that the segment is horizontal, reduce the segment width, increase the segment center, and play with the ramp up/down controls. You can modulate width, centre, ramp. When you decrease the ramp, you'll probably want to increase the width to compensate.

You can modulate the time period of any modulator with any other modulator. For instance you can modulate the time period of an ADSR, Multi-segment envelope or LFO with another modulator.

Unfortunately you can not modulate individual segments such as only the release segment in relation to the other segments.

However, if you are clever you can do this. You can modulate one ADSR with another ADSR. Copy the first ADSR to the second ADSR and modulate the first ADSR with the second. Set the modulation type to add. Then in the second ADSR set all the segment curves down to zero so they don't change the timing of those corresponding segments in the first ADSR, and set the release segment of the second ADSR to a flat value of one. Then the first ADSR period will only be increased during the release segment.

I think that should work, though I have never tried it.

It is also not possible to use MIDI CC to modulate the ADSR, wanted to make my presets easy for keyboard players to use.. Feature request?

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:50 pm And then the developer has to go chasing down the user to correct the problem. Then instead of being a developer you turn into a collection agency. Seems to me that could turn into a disaster for everyone unless you are a big company like Adobe who has a unit of people dedicated to shaking people down.
I think Adobe has already thought about that with their cloud subscriptions, and devised a clever solution. No pay, no worky.

But you do get to keep the files that you saved on your computer, although you will no longer have access to the applications. So if you depend on them, then you must keep paying for it. No collectors necessary.

Not a fan of this method, as I prefer perpetual licenses only, and have found alternatives to Adobe Creative Cloud.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Thanks ahanysz and Everett for the suggestions!

Fathom Version 3.1 Released.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

This includes Fathom FX for Fathom Vector.

Soon I will be sending out download emails to everyone using Pro AVX and Vector.
Last edited by FathomSynth on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

FathomSynth wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:44 am Fathom Version 3.1 Released.
https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

This includes Fathom FX for Fathom Vector.

Tomorrow I will send out download emails to everyone using Vector.
you call Fathom Vector now Fathom?

i own only Fathom Pro. discovered after the vector came out...
this is not for Fathom Pro (and will Fathom Pro get MPE?)

Return to “Instruments”