Cherry Audio Voltage modular

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums Voltage Modular Ignite Voltage Modular Nucleus

an envelope for a simple curve? for MPE? attack somewhat higher, decay at full. and of course you can change it?

crystalmsc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:26 am Hi Captain, it's great for being in touch with the maker. Thank you for creating such an awesome module, I really like your perception of sound. You also add more modules to bundle with no extra cost, which is very nice. Will there be more stuff for this? Such as interesting update/presets/bundle, would love to see more of this series. A dedicated 224 module maybe? With some extras such as the HD and Super Massive version with freeze. I'm more into the the original than the XL, but never hurt to have that as well.
Hey, you are welcome! I assume you mean the Lexicon 224(XL)? :) The path from a single modulated delay line to a fully-fledged reverb is a long one, but yes, I have been toying with ideas for a dedicated reverb module, let's see if something comes out of it. I currently have several new modules under construction, I just have this bad habit of spending a lot of time on details that probably wouldn't matter that much in the final product... but I want to get them just right before I move on. :lol:

Captain wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:06 am
crystalmsc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:26 am Hi Captain, it's great for being in touch with the maker. Thank you for creating such an awesome module, I really like your perception of sound. You also add more modules to bundle with no extra cost, which is very nice. Will there be more stuff for this? Such as interesting update/presets/bundle, would love to see more of this series. A dedicated 224 module maybe? With some extras such as the HD and Super Massive version with freeze. I'm more into the the original than the XL, but never hurt to have that as well.
Hey, you are welcome! I assume you mean the Lexicon 224(XL)? :) The path from a single modulated delay line to a fully-fledged reverb is a long one, but yes, I have been toying with ideas for a dedicated reverb module, let's see if something comes out of it. I currently have several new modules under construction, I just have this bad habit of spending a lot of time on details that probably wouldn't matter that much in the final product... but I want to get them just right before I move on. :lol:
always curious what comes next... (gladly i know one developer, who have somethings in the pipeline..)

and the stuff you added, i have, except the probability router bundle..

WasteLand wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:01 am an envelope for a simple curve? for MPE? attack somewhat higher, decay at full. and of course you can change it?
I don’t think an envelope would work as a scaling function would it? An envelope is time based whereas a scaling curve is input vs output function right?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:15 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:01 am an envelope for a simple curve? for MPE? attack somewhat higher, decay at full. and of course you can change it?
I don’t think an envelope would work as a scaling function would it? An envelope is time based whereas a scaling curve is input vs output function right?
yes you are right, too much in my head (vectors, phase distortion, additive, FM, MPE), a curve in equator you see it isn't time based. as in cypher 2.

it reacts to value.

but an envelope can be used, for example for pressure, that it comes later on, after you strike.
so pressure, when you play, will not immediately function.

but a curve that reacts to value... can be done, of course... can it be done with the poly stuff already in voltage modular (including third party)?.

yes, but to make a nice curve?? it will not be visual. i am not a module designer..

midi to cv, under a certain voltage (i.e. cc value) no reaction, then reaction linear or exponantial.
there are modules for it. i hope i have them. and i shall put my vulcan ears on...

i made 2 very simple MPE templates, without curves, but for polyphonic and monophonic modules (for each voice a module..) and even MIDI CC (roli rise/lightpad in XYZ mode or rise controller mode, not MPE of course, in a way MPE could be more extended..), and one template extra, with MIDI input, so you can for instance use a roli seaboard block and a lightpad M, seperately.

pekbro wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 am The Vult stuff is good, practically the only stuff you would need. He needs to make some more
hardware that guy :tu:
Are the Vult modules available for VCV Rack the same as those available for Voltage (even if they may have different names)?

bharris22 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:37 am
pekbro wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:36 am The Vult stuff is good, practically the only stuff you would need. He needs to make some more
Are the Vult modules available for VCV Rack the same as those available for Voltage (even if they may have different names)?
not all are available yet, in VM, the most important ones as the developer said in a reaction to an e-mail from me. but more ports are coming ánd polyphonic versions. (the last i know for sure, but about ports, the formulating was a bit strange, but i think he meant, i will start to port more. he has more projects, so it will take some time, he must finish a another project.).

but the modules avialable in VM are definitily as good as in VCV.

Thanks. So if I understand correctly, there is overlap, and the VM modules are (currently) as subset of those available in VCV?

bharris22 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:49 am Thanks. So if I understand correctly, there is overlap, and the VM modules are (currently) as subset of those available in VCV?
VCV rack, the vult bundle, is it called, i bought it. then you get the polyphonic versions, and perhaps some more modules, don't remember. vult was first on VCV, then came to VM.

you can call it a subset, what is available in VM, but the best, or most important are there.
more will come (a few months back, 2 modules were added to one of the 2 VM vult bundles) and polyphonic will also come.

they are the same, different names.. porting isn't easy, or that easy: VM modules are java, VCV rack modules are C++. but vult has it's own language, and uses also another language, made especially to mimic electronic components. lost the link. you can use vult language in VCV...

(with language: programming language, or pre-built language?? don't know the real specifics, but the concept seems pretty good, saw some examples of the code. heat that is factor for how a component works for example, for nonlinearities.)

EDIT: i first bought the vult bundle for VCV, the newer version works better for me, but still, there is something about VCV rack and me, that does not work. it is great, as VM. it is personal, can put my finger on it.
i have bought both vult bundles for/in VM, and in VM i use them. o yes, FLUX was mentioned in a post on the cherry audio forum (on their own site), leakage can do the same, with some improvements.

Just did a side by side comparison and these seem to be the Vult modules in VCV Rack that VM doesn’t have :-

Bypass (Stereo Channel Effect Bypass)
Flame (analog distortion)
Flux (Quad Voltage Processor)
Freak (manifold filter)
Hyperpower (Infinite Power Supply)
Incubus (Nightmare synthesiser)
Julste (Simple Low Pass Gate)
Noxious-Polyphonic (has more functions than mono)
Send (Stereo Channel Send/Return)
Splie (Active Buffer)
Tohe (Tone Control)
Vessek (Complex Analog Oscillator)
Vortex (Russian Filter)

I haven’t used many of those in VCV yet apart from Incubus which is a big old unit

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I've never used VCV Rack actually. I like VM because it's kind of a unified workflow between
eurorack and pc, like a lite eurorack DAW I guess. Not really interested in VCV myself.

pekbro wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm
I've never used VCV Rack actually. I like VM because it's kind of a unified workflow between
eurorack and pc, like a lite eurorack DAW I guess. Not really interested in VCV myself.
Don’t really understand the difference. VCV rack can work standalone or send/receive from a DAW just fine and it’ll even be usable as a plugin when the next version is released. There’s already a forked plugin called VeeSeeVeeRack, but it’s non-official and stuck at version 0.6 so incompatible with a lot of current modules.

I use both together sometimes as VCV can host VM as a plugin within itself as instrument or effects.

There’s room for both. Unless you’re CherryAudio and see them as a rival (I have no idea of their position on this) or a VM module maker who sees the 2000 or so free modules in VCV as competition or maybe don’t like the prices their modules sell at, I just see it as more of a good thing.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

I think it's more just the UI and the lite-weight of VM that I like. Honestly though,
not overly into modular software anyway. VM is fun, but I don't have too much into it,
or even use it super often.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:55 pm
pekbro wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:43 pm
Don’t really understand the difference. VCV rack can work standalone or send/receive from a DAW just fine and it’ll even be usable as a plugin when the next version is released. There’s already a forked plugin called VeeSeeVeeRack, but it’s non-official and stuck at version 0.6 so incompatible with a lot of current modules.

I use both together sometimes as VCV can host VM as a plugin within itself as instrument or effects.

There’s room for both. Unless you’re CherryAudio and see them as a rival (I have no idea of their position on this) or a VM module maker who sees the 2000 or so free modules in VCV as competition or maybe don’t like the prices their modules sell at, I just see it as more of a good thing.
i don't see them really as rivals. VCV rack i have, and some bundles, and 1 or 2 modules (i mean bought...). don't use it that often, something personal.

i have also reaktor, with a nice arsenal of packs (blocks) (everything turns, toybox audio, euoreakt), full reaktor by the way, so also the bento etc.

also have softube modular, the only module i don't have is the spring reverb..
i use all 3 in another way. and the complement eachother.

if i say i don't use VCV rack that often, i see the great potential, it is has nice modules, the new hora detour, for instance (have bought the bundle, a time ago, so have it "full"). but there is something about, i really don't know. o i use the term potential, it is already a great soft modular. i see the potential for me, but something, holds me back. will buy bundles, if they are great. perhaps even the vst plugin when it comes... depends on if i can find my way, i can find my way better in vcv rack, but still. it isn't that it is too complicated, no, no learning curve, but as i repeated: i really don't know.

there is another great free soft modular, sounds terrific by the way;

http://xsrdo.blogspot.com/

and you have solorack (i don't have it, almost bought it, but 3 ecosystems, or 4 or 5 with xrsdo...).

and a buchla system in blocks, in reaktor... yeah...

i use VM for totally different stuff than softube modular, i can do a lot with softube modular, the some thing with reaktor.

They are all great I'm sure, I don't see them as rivals either, I just don't need them all, I have
Reaktor as well, but only the free blocks and really don't use it much either. Maybe when
I have arranged for better connectivity between the modular synth and the PC I'll want to dig
deeper into it. Until then, eurorack and VM meet my modular needs well enough interestingly.

*I also like to use VM with hardware synths, like the Pro 3. The Pro 3 has an amazing sequencer
in it and VM provides a lot of no-fuss options for working with it.

Return to “Instruments”