The next Live update?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am starting to believe that Apple secretly acquired Ableton and stopped Live's development :lol:

I don't really have any wishes for next Ableton. It's fine for me as it is :party:
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The beta is still being updated once a month or so.

Every time I log into my Ableton account about every 2 months or so there's a new version of Live Lite in my account... doesn't look like development has stopped to me. :P

Just checked, and we're on 10.1.8 now .... that's a recent update.
https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-10/

Yeap.. it's been like what? a year and a ha'f since we've seen a major update from Ableton? I think they are done for. Too many Daw's have now copied their precious Session View(clip launcher) feature and they've lost the edge. Bitwig is what Ableton should have been by now and that ship sailed long ago.

Ghlow wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:33 am Yeap.. it's been like what? a year and a ha'f since we've seen a major update from Ableton? I think they are done for. Too many Daw's have now copied their precious Session View(clip launcher) feature and they've lost the edge. Bitwig is what Ableton should have been by now and that ship sailed long ago.
What exactly is missing for you in Live 10?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:54 am
Ghlow wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:33 am Yeap.. it's been like what? a year and a ha'f since we've seen a major update from Ableton? I think they are done for. Too many Daw's have now copied their precious Session View(clip launcher) feature and they've lost the edge. Bitwig is what Ableton should have been by now and that ship sailed long ago.
What exactly is missing for you in Live 10?
Can't answer for them, but to me, the fact that MPE is still not native to Live is/was a great indication that Ableton have a different idea of where to take Live than I do.

I whinged for years about having a full screen or even a separate piano roll editor, I don't want to have to click drag the sub window for an expanded view; it feels like in Live I spend half my time dragging windows around. What happened instead was dual monitor support, without any change to the piano roll editor.

We all complained forever about having a universal LFO, we got it with Max 4 Live, so Suite only. M4L is, interesting, we have this super UX DAW with an object oriented music programming environment grafted on. No polyphonic aftertouch, SysEx, MPE, Event list etc. but you can make a synth from scratch if you want to.

Basically Ableton are smart, I'm the dumb one, I want a great UX DAW with modern and some legacy features, they're fully aware that their audience is mostly millennials working IT, who would 100% admire a great UX DAW with a built to order music programming environment like M4L as a bonus.

So after a nice musical guy in Moss who can program made all the great controller extensions for Bitwig, it's a natural jump for me. Full screen piano/audio editor, MPE, native modulation system, customizable keyboard shortcuts.

If Live gets MPE and a native LFO, I'm definitely still interested. Jitter grafted on is pretty amazing, and I love the routing in Live. Bitwig is like Logic that way, kinda hidden from the user. Only thing missing is some map like you get in Reaper or DP.

At least live 10 can be considered an upgrade unlike protools 12. You should be grateful for what you get considering avid hasn't put any real effort in upgrading theirs except for cloud collaboration.

Ableton is preparing for big surprising update for non-intel CPU Mac support to shock the DAW market.

Being a Live and Mac user, KVR exposes me to some atrocious posts. Very traumatic. Both themes are like a freak magnet.

(yes, yes, I can apply that to myself too).
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

I suspect all Live developers have been employed on 'PUSH +' a revolutionary stand alone version of their controller and DAW in hardware in an attempt to beat Native Instruments to the market...wait, what? Dohhhhh

The 'ongoing' betas for the last 18 months or so have been nothing more than bug fixes and adding a new controller scripts, there haven't been any real feature updates for a long time. This may (I hope) mean they are working on something bigger an better - maybe even a 10.5, who knows....but with the new Logic, new StudioOne and Bitwigs fairly constant stream of updates every 3-4 moths it will need to be a big one to just catch up with many aspects of other DAWS.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:45 am but with the new Logic, new StudioOne and Bitwigs fairly constant stream of updates every 3-4 moths it will need to be a big one to just catch up with many aspects of other DAWS.
Bitwig just adds more instruments and effects, nothing interesting as DAW development.

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 am
I think you're mistaking me with someone?!

I never shove Bitwig into anyone's throat
:wink:

Although you are right, no BW throating in this thread.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:08 amAlthough you are right, no BW throating in this thread.
Not by me, at least ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”