Reason Studios recruit Beta Testers!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I can see the upside to users who want to test new features, but a downside to providing reports, to then pay for an upgrade at full upgrade price after a person was able to provide extensive reporting.

It's a point release i.e. a free one.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

vertibration wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:18 pm Whatever floats your boat I guess. I can see the upside to users who want to test new features, but a downside to providing reports, to then pay for an upgrade at full upgrade price after a person was able to provide extensive reporting.
It's only a downside because of your unrealistic expectations :)

I mean look at it that way - if you were a real tester, you'd have a list of things to check out daily, a deadline and super detailed, standardised reports to prepare. In this case, you might never test anything specific and never send any bug reports (even if you find them).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

vertibration wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:21 pm Why would anyone want to join their beta testing program? They dont reward active testers with an NFR, nor do they even offer upgrade discounts to testers who are extremely active. Its not really worth anyones time. Literally every other company provides at least something as a thank you for taking the time to produce bug reports
That's it! I would be a beta tester for 100 € per hour! :D

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:19 am ........

I mean look at it that way - if you were a real tester, you'd have a list of things to check out daily, a deadline and super detailed, standardised reports to prepare. In this case, you might never test anything specific and never send any bug reports (even if you find them).
This is extremely rare in my experience.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:19 am ........

This is extremely rare in my experience.

rsp
What is? Getting paid to be beta-tester or finding a bug? :D
Music tech enthusiast

lol. a list of things to check out daily.... super detailed standardised reports to prepare.

I would not have called the Reason 11 a public beta. I recall you had to apply for it and then they selected whom they wanted to allow to test.
A public beta is available to all to test.
rsp
sound sculptist

I would love to get paid to be a beta tester... unfortunately, I'd probably never find a bug which hasn't been found before.

I guess it's with all the stuff you get paid for. At some point, it isn't as much fun as it sounded like intitially. :)

Unless you are an official employee of a company, I don't think anyone is paid in a traditional sense to be a beta tester.
rsp
sound sculptist

Yeah, I'm sure it is like that.

zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:19 pm lol. a list of things to check out daily.... super detailed standardised reports to prepare.

I would not have called the Reason 11 a public beta. I recall you had to apply for it and then they selected whom they wanted to allow to test.
rsp
Why "lol"? I meant if you were a REAL beta-tester that's getting rewarded / paid for their effort, you'd have a list of scenarios to test & detailed reports to fill out. That's NOT how Reason's OPEN beta (or Live's or Bitwig's) work.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm
zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:19 pm lol. a list of things to check out daily.... super detailed standardised reports to prepare.

rsp
Why "lol"? I meant if you were a REAL beta-tester that's getting rewarded / paid for their effort, you'd have a list of scenarios to test & detailed reports to fill out. That's NOT how Reason's OPEN beta (or Live's or Bitwig's) work.
I test for a few companies, this is not what its like at all. They want you to test alphas, betas, and pre release candidates for bugs. You arent mandated, or told you have any sort of deadline. If you feel like testing and reporting, you do. You use the plugins you want to test in projects, and if a bug pops up, you report it. Companies provide NFR's most of the time, or give the NFR if testers are very active. Reason's open beta is not a real open beta. They choose who they let in, gather up reports, and let all the beta testers go. That is a lame thing to do for their efforts. Just sayin, that is not how companies that I work with operate

vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pmCompanies provide NFR's most of the time, or give the NFR if testers are very active.
If that's your only reward, then you're not a REAL beta-tester :)
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm

What is? Getting paid to be beta-tester or finding a bug? :D
You laughed so I thought you were joking.

I can check my email but I don't think Reason's beta testing was an open beta test. You had to apply and be approved.
I am not a Live user so can't comment on that.

You don't get paid.... but indeed companies either give you an NFR a discount or a an option to constantly renew a temporary license. That has been my experience with all companies I have beta tested for.......

And no.....
I have in over 15 years of beta testing,,, rarely have a list of test and detailed reports to fill out (unless you find a bug/crash and different companies have different expectations of detailed).
Sometimes you get a build and asked to test some specific things.......and sometimes there is indeed a list of tasks with feedback. But such structured methodology in my experience has definitely note been the norm.
rsp
sound sculptist

vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:37 pm

rsp
I test for a few companies, this is not what its like at all. They want you to test alphas, betas, and pre release candidates for bugs. You arent mandated, or told you have any sort of deadline. If you feel like testing and reporting, you do. You use the plugins you want to test in projects, and if a bug pops up, you report it. Companies provide NFR's most of the time, or give the NFR if testers are very active. Reason's open beta is not a real open beta. They choose who they let in, gather up reports, and let all the beta testers go. That is a lame thing to do for their efforts. Just sayin, that is not how companies that I work with operate

Mirrors most of my experience too.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”