Reason Studios recruit Beta Testers!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 pmYou don't get paid.... but indeed companies either give you an NFR a discount or a an option to constantly renew a temporary license. That has been my experience with all companies I have beta tested for.......

And no.....
I have in over 15 years of beta testing,,, rarely have a list of test and detailed reports to fill out (unless you find a bug/crash and different companies have different expectations of detailed).
But that's what I mean. Proper software testing is performed by a dedicated group of employees or people temporarily hired for this specific job.

What you've participated in is just 2nd wave, where they hope to catch rare bugs resulting from weird hardware & software configs or weird worklfow of the end-user.

Sure it would be nice to be rewarded somehow, but if you're not being expected to actually test specified things and obliged to report on bugs, you shouldn't also expect an NFR license or discount. It's a privilege you don't have to take. At least IMO.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Indeed, this is more akin to my "Real'" beta testing experience with other companies more than public beta testing.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by zvenx on Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:54 pm
zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:47 pmYou don't get paid.... but indeed companies either give you an NFR a discount or a an option to constantly renew a temporary license. That has been my experience with all companies I have beta tested for.......

And no.....
I have in over 15 years of beta testing,,, rarely have a list of test and detailed reports to fill out (unless you find a bug/crash and different companies have different expectations of detailed).
But that's what I mean. Proper software testing is performed by a dedicated group of employees or people temporarily hired for this specific job.

What you've participated in is just 2nd wave, where they hope to catch rare bugs resulting from weird hardware & software configs or weird worklfow of the end-user.

Sure it would be nice to be rewarded somehow, but if you're not being expected to actually test specified things and obliged to report on bugs, you shouldn't also expect an NFR license or discount. It's a privilege you don't have to take. At least IMO.
Depends on the size of the company.
Smaller developers you are the first testing beyond the actual coders.
But yes larger companies do have QA teams that do that. And you come in later, sometimes the next few days, but it is definitely not about rare bugs etc, and often beta testers are testing months before the Public even knows the product exists.

How many companies do it though is, and vertibration already said it, depends how active you are as a tester.

Some developers at release go thru who reported stuff etc(who is naughty and who is nice) and give those NFR's..
And of course some developers if you do not contribute much will slowly but surely drop you from future beta testing of their products.
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sound sculptist

I don't really use Reason. Last time I really used it was 2.5.
Why? I prefer working in my DAW (SVP then Cubendo). Had a period when Reason was all the instruments (beyond bass and guitar) I had to work with and got quite familiar with it for a bit. Then Cubendo became my main DAW, got my studio back up and running and got more into software instruments, and my use of Reason dwindled.
All I wanted was the sound from it, so Reason as a vst has been on my request list for them for almost 17 years.
I had upgraded from Reason 2.5 to 8 a few years ago because one day I had to re open an older project, but beyond that never really used Reason 8. But figured Reason as vst's would get much more use, so I signed up. (which to me signifies it was not a public beta)

Submitted quite a few bug reports that they were able to fix, but just was surprised at the end of it all there was no NFR or even a $30 off for the upgrade (which is when I usually upgrade Reason since I don't use it much (when the $129 goes to $99 on sale).
That was my first and as of today the only experience, with a company who does that.

Anyway, one day hopefully Reason 11 upgrade will go on $99 sale and I will buy the upgrade.

rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm Anyway, one day hopefully Reason 11 upgrade will go on $99 sale and I will buy the upgrade.
It's $115 with "FORUM" code at checkout here:

https://www.jrrshop.com/propellerhead-reason-upgrade
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:46 pm
vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pmCompanies provide NFR's most of the time, or give the NFR if testers are very active.
If that's your only reward, then you're not a REAL beta-tester :)
Bro, you dont have a clue....

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm
zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:07 pm Anyway, one day hopefully Reason 11 upgrade will go on $99 sale and I will buy the upgrade.

oh shite.
Thank you.
rsp
sound sculptist

vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:44 pmCompanies provide NFR's most of the time, or give the NFR if testers are very active.
who do you test for?

vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 pm
who do you test for?
I don't. I never said I do. I don't work in audio industry.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:44 pm
vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 pm
who do you test for?
I don't. I never said I do. I don't work in audio industry.
Then let me inform you that as someone who does beta test for companies, you are incorrect

zvenx wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 pm
antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm

oh shite.
Thank you.
rsp
Or $116 here: https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products/da ... 11-upgrade

Both are totally legit & thoroughly tested by me ;)
Music tech enthusiast

AudioDeluxe is my first call software store, and I have bought from JRRshop too.
Thanks
rsp
sound sculptist

vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm Then let me inform you that as someone who does beta test for companies, you are incorrect
Good to know. I'm gonna go and tell out IT Q&A dept. they shouldn't expect salary going forward and instead we'll give them NFR licenses ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast

Ah you were extrapolating from your own industry.
My beta experience has been either:
1) Small Developers.... you test it straight from the coder.
2) Larger Companies....There is a QA department, and they test it to make sure there is no obvious huge crash that will mess up people's computers etc and you get it a few days later (you can tell from the build date and when you get it to test). I have also gotten products in its Alpha stage to test.

But in both scenarios if it is a new product or a big upgrade (from a version 2 to version 3 for instance), you get it to test weeks if not months before the public gets it.
If it is a point update 2.1 to 2.2 for instance, you get it a days/weeks/ sometimes months ahead of the general public depends on what new features are implemented or what it fixes.
If it is a hotfix, you may get it a day or two or a weekend before the public.

rsp
sound sculptist

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:52 pm
vertibration wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:45 pm Then let me inform you that as someone who does beta test for companies, you are incorrect
Good to know. I'm gonna go and tell out IT Q&A dept. they shouldn't expect salary going forward and instead we'll give them NFR licenses ;) :D
What are you talking about, your profile says you work for a Bank, what does that have to do with audio software? Weird man

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”