Channel Strips (e.g., Fat Channel XT) vs. Individual Plug-Ins

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:31 pm Prefix is not a channel strip at all.
Could be used as such, if that's what's necessary. Variety of Sound has another one, though, which is - NastyVCS.

Personally, I really like channel strips. They help with my workflow as far as just using 1 thing and saving cpu. However, they are limiting either because of sound of the strip altogether or the compromises on features. In that case, I would use just individual plugins... but I think that whole debate goes into k owing what sounds you can get from your strips.

I have the IK strips, Neutron/Nectar 3/Ozone 8, BT Analog Trackbox and usually use those less of the time. My individual plugs I probably use the most are Slick Eq GE & Kotelnikov. There is a 3rd option that I find works just as well & that is using host that are just like channel strips but manufacturer specific. Example: Reason Rack plugin, Waves Studiorack, Magix Independence FX, T-Racks Suite, Amplitube 4/Guitar Pro (I use these as channels as well).

Some elements of the mix or songs need different things. Some need more flavor, some need more precision. Sometimes an individual plug can do just as much as a strip to maintain the character of your track (Like Izotope Trash2) So for me, I just go by ear and then choose the tool I need/ the workflow I'm trying to achieve. Strips for sonic behavior & workflow, Plugin Hosts for flavor & Individual plugs for maybe all 3 just depending.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

A couple of you have mentioned Neutron. Is that considered a channel strip?

schpaeckulum wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:34 pm
jens wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:31 pm Prefix is not a channel strip at all.
Could be used as such, if that's what's necessary.
No, it can't be used as a channel trip because it's not a channel strip.

If Prefix is what is needed then what is needed is not a channel strip.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

mwooten777 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:25 pm A couple of you have mentioned Neutron. Is that considered a channel strip?
Yes, very much so.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Also, bear in mind that some channel strip plugins give the option of using the individual modules as stand alone plugins, or as part of the strip. I think the advanced version of Neutron allow this, but not the standard version. I'm not sure if many other strips also take this approach, but it provides greater flexibility (if you think you might need it).

mwooten777 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:25 pm A couple of you have mentioned Neutron. Is that considered a channel strip?
Indeed.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Return to “Effects”