The Most Overrated and Underrated VST/AU (Effects And Instruments)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

replicant X wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 pm Underrated: almost all plugins
People tend to search new plugins without using plugins they already had.
yes and no. My personal consesus: there is an abundant amount of incredible stuff available. What is overrated and what underrated is more depending on personal or general perception:
Plugin A does incredible stuff and everyone is using it, or at least talking about
Plugin B does equally incredible stuff, but is way less talked about
Plugin C does equally incredible stuff aswell, may be talked about a lot too, but way overpriced (above comparable competitors), or has other nagging things that might put people off.
If everyone and his mother was raving about TAL Mod and there
was a small company noone ever talks about named u-he with plugins called Diva, Repro, or Zebra, it would be the latter that'd be underrated and TAL Mod the overrated one
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I have no idea...so I'll just read your opinions

Serum does seem a little overrated to me though, because for a lot of musical genres - it's completely overkill

Those ol' dogs Albino 3, and FM8 are underrated

Chiming in just to agree about TAL-Mod (it deserves more praise). Very underrated and under-the-radar synth. I've tried all VAs I could think of, and nothing has the weight TAL synths have.

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:33 pm Chiming in just to agree about TAL-Mod (it deserves more praise). Very underrated and under-the-radar synth. I've tried all VAs I could think of, and nothing has the weight TAL synths have.
Never tried it, but I want to. I don't have a clue about modular synthesis, but I want to start learning

It isn't even truly modular. Think of it more like regular synth with a very easy to use “hands on mod matrix“
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

replicant X wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 pm Underrated: almost all plugins
:D

perpetual3 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 pm Underrated: TAL Mod

Why? Because it nails the essentials: oscillators, filters, envelopes, modulation. Spend some time exploring OSC1&2 voice stacking, detune, and spread. Besides the reverb, the effects are very good. The delay gets a special mention for the way the feedback is ramped, turning into a looper around noon. On many delays, the feedback goes wild and unmanageable fairly quickly.
Beyond noon it gets louder and louder, dangerous, not least since the global volume control does not influence the volume and the delay continues even after disabling and re-enabling the plugin in the DAW :)

In Sylenth1 turning feedback to 100% also creates an endless loop at constant volume, very nice. And the global volume and the DAW's plugin on/off ends the delay.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:42 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 pm Underrated: TAL Mod

Why? Because it nails the essentials: oscillators, filters, envelopes, modulation. Spend some time exploring OSC1&2 voice stacking, detune, and spread. Besides the reverb, the effects are very good. The delay gets a special mention for the way the feedback is ramped, turning into a looper around noon. On many delays, the feedback goes wild and unmanageable fairly quickly.
Beyond noon it gets louder and louder, dangerous, not least since the global volume control does not influence the volume and the delay continues even after disabling and re-enabling the plugin in the DAW :)

In Sylenth1 turning feedback to 100% also creates an endless loop at constant volume, very nice. And the global volume and the DAW's plugin on/off ends the delay.
I like having the option for endless loop as well as being able to ride the feedback, helps add some character to the tail. Erica Synths Zen Delay does it best.

pretty sure there was such a feature and warnings on their programming cassette tapes for my dx7
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

My opinion:

Under-rated Cableguys Curve
Audiare Zone
NI Absynth

I don't know about over-rated.

Does Curve get updated? I looked into it the other day, and I liked the sound. But when I get something like Unfiltered Audio Lion for $15 with vouchers/sales, I'm not sure if Curve is priced too high for what it is.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:53 pm Does Curve get updated? I looked into it the other day, and I liked the sound. But when I get something like Unfiltered Audio Lion for $15 with vouchers/sales, I'm not sure if Curve is priced too high for what it is.
I plan on buying it in the everything bundle when they have their next sale. That makes it pretty cheap really. I mean not $15 but still a nice price for what it is.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

I don't think Curve's been updated since i bought it last year. I got it in the Cableguys bundle. It has a lot of useable presets and sounds better to my ears than Lion which i do also have. Obviously Cableguys have updated Shaperbox, they haven't said anything about Curve.

replicant X wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 pmUnderrated: almost all plugins
Guilty as charged, m' Lud. I realised that this week, as I've been porting songs across from Orion and Cubase to Studio One. Lately I've been focused on the plugins I've bought most recently but going back to the things I was using a couple of years ago on our new album, I've realised just how many really great instruments I have that I should be using more. The stand-outs for me were Equator, which is just about the best pad machine I own; Substance (Kontakt instrument), which has a sound that really suits our music; and TRK-01 Bass, which is the perfect quick and easy thing for those little filler parts that really pull an arrangement together.

When I add those to my mix, I end up with 8 or so things that are indispensible and allow us to do everything we do and anything we might want to do in the future. Then, on top of that are more new things, like Sample One XT and Impact XT in Studio One, which I am finding very handy, both for the content that comes with them and for loading up my own stuff.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Instruments”