Some doubts about eletric guitar

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Ksamphos
KVRist
85 posts since 8 Feb, 2019

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:03 pm

I never had an eletric guitar - though I play the acoustic - and I have no experience of how eletric instruments work. However, I often see on local ads eletric guitars and basses for good prices. They are among the easiest instruments to find.

My doubt is how this instrument works... I mean, If I plug It on an audio interface, I can record It with great quality of sound or I need other equipment? The amplifier of a Focusrite interface is enough to record It with phone?
Also, from where comes the differences of sound? Do I need other sort of hardware other than the guitar itself? Or software?
I have no intention of playing it loud, but only of recording.
Does the body of the guitar needs to be big? Does it make difference? I have seen empty-bodied eletric guitars and I wonder if this kind of instrument can be small or if the size is relevant like in acoustic ones. Can it be played with no-nails right hand?

This is an example of the kind of sound i would be looking for:
https://youtu.be/_T6_qzwjR_A
Better than this only the silence. Better than the silence only John.

The Noodlist
KVRAF
3025 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:36 pm

Semi acoustic, neck pickup with the tone rolled off. Tapper Mike is your man in the guitar thread.
viewforum.php?f=298
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

BertKoor
KVRAF
12170 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:06 pm

Yeah, this belongs in the guitars subforum.

This looks like a comprehensive article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_guitar

Any questions?
If I plug It on an audio interface, I can record It with great quality of sound or I need other equipment?
Your interface needs a so-called "Hi-Z" (high impedance) input. That's always a 6.3mm (1/4") TS (tip-sleeve) "jack" connection, like a big headphone plug. Usually the manual will state it's usable for instruments, the front panel might have a small guitar icon next to the input.
This is an example of the kind of sound i would be looking for
Ah, mellow jazzy... Typically a semi-acoustical guitar with humbucker pickups (good ones were never cheap). No effects, not that picky about the amp.

Even though there are no effects involved and the amp choice is not relevant, I would say you won't get a convincing tone like that by plugging the guitar directly into the interface and call it a day. You do need something extra. Skipping the amp, its speaker, the microphone in front picking up some acoustic room reverb: that's the icing on the cake to not make it sound super sterile.

There are so many variables in the sound: playing style, pickups, construction of the guitar, effect pedals, amp choice, speaker, microphone and setting of all the pots.

You can discuss stuff like this all day and each player has his own favourite and unique gear. We won't ever agree on anything. Truth is, we all just bought something random decades ago, made use of whatever we could get hold of, and fell in love with it. Or never satisfied, always shopping for something else because grass is always greener on the other side.
Can it be played with no-nails right hand?
Sure. Broken nails only bother classical acoustical guitarists. 99% (of non-jazz players) use a pick / plectrum.

Did you know that Mark Knopfler (got famous with Dire Straits) as a child wanted to sound exactly like Hank B. Marvin of the Shadows, and so he bought a bright red Fender Stratocaster. Little did he know, he never played it with a plectrum but picked with his fingers. That resulted in a somewhat unique technique and sound, which ultimately made him famous. But he never sounded like Hank B. Marvin.
Be careful what you wish for...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

Ksamphos
KVRist
85 posts since 8 Feb, 2019

Post Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:36 pm

I didnt know about Mark Knofler, but Ill research about It! Thank you for your detailed explanation, Im guessing Im going to try a les paul, but Ill write more about it on the guitar session

The Noodlist, thank you for posting it on the guitar session, Ill keep writing there. :wink:
Better than this only the silence. Better than the silence only John.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”