Upgrade advice, metal case? quiet case fans & monitor suggestions?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am going to upgrade my system a little and would like some suggestions based on your real world use and experience.

I am more than happy with my computer in terms of performance, it is brilliantly fast and does all that I ask of it so I do not need to upgrade any of my actual system.

At the moment it is housed in a heavy duty metal 19" rack case (which is ok) but the case fans are extremely loud and certainly need changing. I also use two 19" wide screen monitors which have performed perfectly until one died last week (they are around 9 years old so need replacing).

I have been researching new cases, fans and monitors but there so many brands now with many I have never heard off so I am guessing they are Chinese or something.

So here are my questions.

I want the best and quietest fan cases - by the best I mean a trusted and proven brand in terms of quality, performance and longevity. By quietest I mean just that, the quietest.

I would like a 36 - 40" widescreen monitor again that is a known quality brand. I only use my computer for running my DAW so I wont need fancy hi-def or anything but as I tend to work close to my monitor it should be easy on my eyesight. The reason I previously used two monitors is I had my daw piano roll on one and the mixer on the other.

Is there any benefit to keeping my system in its 19" metal rack case (heat dissipation maybe?) or is a new plastic case better?

I wonder if a plastic case is better for noise deadening?

Many thanks everyone.

How tall is your rack case? If it's less than 3U, you might consider upgrading there. You can reduce fan noise by increasing you case and fan sizes. Btw, I'd recommend Noctua fans.

Speaking of fans, in order to take advantage of your rack case's inherent airflow (front-to-back), you should have a motherboard with it's proc and RAM aligned as such--this was once called BTX, I believe. To find a proper mobo like this you're probably shopping server boards ...

I have a 3U, steel rack case and I love it. I've had it for over tens years and it's still kicking ass. I think it cost me like ~$2-300? ... Well worth it; cases like this are good forever. https://www.gtweb.net/product/3u-quiet- ... x-chassis/
Inside, I have a Supermicro server board, a Xeon proc, a GTX 1070 (Founders, because it fits) and Noctua fans ... Plainly my best, most useful build and it's by far my quietest build (un-padded condenser mic in the same room usable). All previous systems I built, based on high-end gaming boards--including one which resided in this same case--were all poor by comparison.

On another note, there's loads of amazing and inexpensive rack gear which is sold as server/IT equipment which you can use for music. By contrast, a lot of such things sold as 'pro audio gear' can be a rip.

This:
lunardigs wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 am How tall is your rack case? If it's less than 3U, you might consider upgrading there. You can reduce fan noise by increasing you case and fan sizes. Btw, I'd recommend Noctua fans.
I second Noctua fans. I used to use 3U server rack cases, and they were great until I eliminated all of my rack mount audio gear, and eventually switched to tower cases. I've just recently upgraded my two "production" machines cases, and did a ground-up build to upgrade my sons gaming rig. All of them use full size ATX motherboards, mine with very large aftermarket {forced-air} CPU coolers. His uses the provided Ryzen cooler. Mine I upgraded for more HDD slots with hot-swap removable trays, and replaced my sons case for ease of access and improved air flow over his existing case. Both case choices have exceeded my expectations for build quality/craftsmanship, as they are truly 'elegant'... have performed as anticipated, and are by far the quietest cases I've ever 'not' heard.

I chose these for my needs:

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-de ... 6811352048

and this for his build, which I would have gotten for myself as well, had I not needed the increase in HDD/SSD accommodations.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-de ... 6811352085
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

double post
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Thanks for your replys both of you. Yes my case is a 3U server so if i was going to change it would have to be a full size tower as I have 4 high speed evo drives to house.

Having just googled Noctua fans they do look beefy but how silent are they?

They try to make them as quiet and air efficient as possible. They use features like textured fan blades to reduce shearing; tapered and stepped ports; rubber bushings; "Microstructures" on surfaces, etc. They also offer a pretty wide selection of speeds (RPM) across the line. db is major stated spec as well.
Moreover, their kits usually include a couple of 'speed reducers' (inline resistors) which you can use to lower noise even further.
Last edited by lunardigs on Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By the way, don't forget your PSU! This is one fan for granted which you cannot change--not without voiding the warranty.
Generally speaking, the higher the wattage, the higher the heat tolerance and less noise as a result of the fan not working as hard. This may mean overshooting your system's actual needs a bit, but it's worth it. Not to mention better system stability from plenty of power.

Last edited by Pictus on Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for all of the information.

Does anyone have any personal experience of specific fans as I'm sure we all want quiet systems????

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”