Contest: September "Submission"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Monkeys have broken into a nuclear plant and they have gone bananas and someone has forgotten their nunchucks at work.

You will write a song that reminds you of those things.
In my mind, this could be 2 or 3 different genres, but it's up to you how you interpret the theme. instrumental or with vocals.

The monkeys where only 3 min inside the nuclear plant so you got 3 min.

Submitted by September 25, 22:00 Swedish Time

1 - Encoded in either .mp3 .ogg (.Wav .Flac) format.
In use of Wav or Flac, you need to offer Mp3 also, so people can choose.

2 - Time Limit: 3 Min

3 - Entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK (note: THIS MEANS A DOWNLOAD LINK) in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out. These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide.

Providers:
2 - watto
3 - slartibartfast

In addition...
http://www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more.

4 - Submitted by Sep 25, Around 22:00 (Swedish TIME )

5 - Your entry(s) must be composed specifically for this contest (or, if a cover, arranged/recorded specifically for this contest).

6 - Your entry(s) must be created with audio plugins or software studio.

7 - Your entry should have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle" (eg "1909_MonDieu_OxygeneXVII.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please do not use spaces and special characters in the filename. Special considerations will be given to those that have the hosting agent change the file name.

8 - If you are going to tag your mp3--and you should--the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune.

9 - One person can participate either with one entry, with one entry and one collaborative effort or with two collaborative efforts.

10 - Every submission has to be tagged with:
a) used instruments (virtual and 'real')
b) players' and singers' names (if other than entrant; collabs are allowed, sometimes encouraged, but they must be credited)
c) origin of loops and samples, if they're not free of copyright (this includes CreativeCommons material; please read and follow the license of the samples and loops you use); naming the origin of copyright free loops is also encouraged, but not mandatory. Please only use samples you are legally entitled to use.
d) name(s) of composer(s) -- if an entry is a cover this should be noted in the file name and/or the mp3 "Title" tag as well as the submission post (not everyone reads the submission posts).

11 - If there are strong doubts about the origin of the composition or parts of it, the participant should have the possibility to send a project file to the moderator, who could give it to a trustworthy person with the right host to examine it. Important: the participant should not be forced to do it.

12 - Resubmission of your track is allowed in the same post, so long you do it before the voting begins.

13 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

14 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until early a.m, October 1st. Anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified; any entrants not voting will also be disqualified.

If you have questions, send a private message to hellfog.

From one of the deleted scenes in Run Lola Run, evil monkeys break into a power plant and get a hold of a pair of nunchucks, blocking Lola’s path, a battle takes place... that’s a lie but kinda what I imagined.
All samples are from MusicRadar, cherry picked from their free and royalty free samples and loops.

https://soundcloud.com/wild-parsons/bat ... pringfield

Logic Pro X
EXS24
Phat FX
Step FX
Wavesfactory Cassette
Cytomic The Glue
Overloud GEM Tape

This is my first submission to the competition. Artist Name: Samplehound. Track Name: If You Pay Peanuts

This is a slightly bonkers piece. I don't think there is any doubt it's original work, nobody would write this under normal circumstances. Enjoy!

part 1 - cinematic - the monkeys discover the reactor and are in awe
part 2 - nuclear fusion - they settle in and run riot
part 3 - latin piano - sirens go off and police are called. Monkeys alarmed and run for it
part 4 - atmospheric - all appears to be calm again - but no, the monkeys are still there!

https://soundcloud.com/samplehound/if-y ... LHxgArSnKx

a) Kontakt (piano, strings, EP, bass, soundscapes) ; Synthmaster 1 and Massive X - (monkeys) ; Superior drummer 3 (drums); Omnisphere (cymbals) ; Magic Death Eye Stereo Compressor ; Fabfilter Pro-L,Q,R

c) siren samples from Sample Focus

d) composer Rich Townsend

I used to work at this nuclear plant. One night these wild monkeys broke in. They were supposedly looking for bananas. But somehow they got hold of some nunchucks and when they entered the control room they managed to flip that special control which suddenly immersed our entire city in quadrantic gamma rays, causing our time and space dimensions to vibrate in unknown incoherent patterns.

I can still sense that feeling we all had the same instant that it happened. I notice the tension in all spatial coordinates, and man I still hear the echo of their voices which reverberated through the ether that day.

It gives me these primate dreams.

https://soundcloud.com/turbotobben/primate-dreams

Gear used:

Background ambience: Classical guitar, DS Tantra and ValhallaDelay
Main guitar: Fender strat, Line 6 HX Stomp, ValhallaDelay
Pulse: EZ Drummer
Voice: https://sampleswap.org/ (Creative Commons license)
Monkey sounds: some google site
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Who Let the Chimpanzoids Out?

Instruments
Knif Audio Knifonium
Unfiltered Audio Lion
Synapse Audio Obsession
DS Audio Thorn
Rob Papen Punch2
Arturia ARP 2600 V3

This song started as a cover version, then mutated and became quite unrecognizable. I don't think you would guess the root unless I tell you (oreisnepav).

2009_harvon_Don't_go_bananas

MuseScore, Tracktion Waveform 11 free
Vielklang2CM (very necessary tool for me)
SF2 soundfonts
DAW reverb

https://soundcloud.com/user-2508491/banana-meltdown

Tracktion Waveform
Toontrack EZDrummer; Arturia Analog Lab; Toontrack EZKeys
Real guitar and bass.

Here for my embarrassingly literal interpretation of the theme: Monkeys.

Started from noodling on a small eurorack system, with digitone serving as an multiFX and providing some extra bass. Additional monkeying around in Bitwig. (Audiodamage EOS, Fabfilter plugins, U-he Satin.)
Qw, music from twelve weeks in quarantine is now streaming on spotify and bandcamp. This is a collaboration with the the smallest of worlds VR art project, that documents our living spaces in times of isolation. You can join their project here.

The idea for this came from failing to find a way to make an actual song out of this and from listening to Blue Jam back in the day...

https://soundcloud.com/user-470387013/2 ... s_decision

Used Ableton Live 10 Suite and the following plugins

Drums - UJAM Vice
Bass - UVI Synth Anthology 2 / ARP Odyssey with D16 Group Tekturon and Godfazer
Pad - Korg MS-20 with Output Movement, Softoys Effect Rack, Valhalla Shimmer

Lead-split between Reason Studios Europa (Left) and Arturia Jup-8 V3 (Right)
with Infected Mushroom Gatekeeper, Arturia Delay TAPE-201, Eventide Blackhole

Samples for sirens and monkey chatter at the end were downloaded as part of my sounds.com subscription

Track mastering - Neutron 3

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Nunchucks in a nuclear plant? Left lying over the coolant rod controls? Monkey's in the control room? What could go wrong? Someone call the safety inspector...oh.

It's a Simian Meltdown Fiasco.

For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to do it as a string trio plus English horn and a smattering of percussion. I'm not sure why I thought it was a good idea. I just did.

I used Ableton Live 10 with Kontakt for all the instruments, which are from the VSL set in the Kontakt Factory Library. EQ and reverb are Live native effects.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuke Island
  • 0.00 - 0.44 Monkeys approaching the forbidden island *
  • 0.42 - 1.37 Monkeys quietly broke into the nuclear plant
  • 1.38 - 2.22 they go bananas
  • 2.22 - 3.00 someone has forgotten their nunchucks at work
    (and by mistake, they took it for a music instrument)
* I borrowed the Secret of Monkey Island theme for my intro

HW:
Standard-D 'Swamp' DIY Strat guitar, Alesis solo tube pre, Shure beta58, H&K Tubemeister 5, custom DIY cabinet, Alesis Nanoverb, Custom BEAD-bass, Zoom MS-60B, Electro Harmonix Soul Food, Behringer Model D
SW :
Minimogue VA, NI Bandstand, NI Battery, NI Massive, Glaceverb, Camel space, KeFir, LFX-1310, Kjarehus classic bundle, Fusion Field, Nuclear Cranium

Hey Hey

DAW
Tracktion 7

Instruments
Peavey electric Guitar
Yamaha acoustic guitar

Plug-Ins
Addictive Drums 2
Tracktion 4-Band EQ, Low/High Pass Filter & Delay
TDR Feedback Compressor
OrilRiver
Wider
Sampletank 3
OldSkoolVerb
Vocal King
Dead Duck Filter
Master Mix
can't sing, can't play, looks awful.....

This was a bit of a rush but it looked like a fun competition - and I had fun. If I'd had more time it would have been better but hey.

https://soundcloud.com/taptapdoubletap/ ... ap-bananas

Instruments:
Tracktion Waveform 11
Samples from a Billy Jones song from 1923 which is (famously) out of copyright.  
Trumpet sample from Black Octopus
Trombone sample from Black Octopus
Shaperbox 2
XO by XLN
GRM Tools - Space Grain, Reson
Saturn 2
Valhalla Supermassive 

Nuclear Monkeys

Song info comes later

Return to “Music Cafe”