Waldorf Lector

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:27 pm Tone2 Icarus is also impressive.
Yeah, thanks for reminding me that I should first look at what I already have. I have Icarus 2 and just never looked at the vocoder at all. Obviously you have to use samples instead of putting the vocoder on an audio track, but from a tutorial I just watched it sounds good and is easy to use.

I found Lector to be very low in cpu use, seems could be good for live situations.

I'm fan of Waldorf stuff, but what regards Lector it seemed to me that Virsyn Matrix can born more special\unusual (for software) character, though probably he weaker a bit feature wise. I'm have'nt them, but tried demo once for both. And diring demoed Lector i remember found some question\issue, wrote to sup but got no reply. But it seems for current price have something to think about.

crystalmsc wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:20 am
chk071 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:11 amLector sounds like a Waldorf synth.
Yes, especially tempting for Waldorf fans such as myself. This is my last puchase after owning all of their plugins and a great addition to that. Love their audio processing since using my uWave XT, uQ, Pulse+ and D-Pole. Their newer plugins sound more on the crisp side, instead of thick and fat like the old waldorf.
I think they still sound pretty thick, especially Largo. I agree on the "crisp" though, they're much brighter now than they used to be.

c_voltage wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:41 pm I'm fan of Waldorf stuff, but what regards Lector it seemed to me that Virsyn Matrix can born more special\unusual (for software) character, though probably he weaker a bit feature wise. I'm have'nt them, but tried demo once for both. And diring demoed Lector i remember found some question\issue, wrote to sup but got no reply. But it seems for current price have something to think about.
The last couple of days I've been comparing the demo of Lector to a couple of vocoders I already have: Bitwig's vocoder, Xils V+, Virsyn Matrix, the vocoder module in Tone2 Icarus2 and Izotope VocalSynth 2. I also have Eiosis Els Vocoder, but unfortunately I can't get it to work anymore on my Mac.

After some comparing, I narrowed the tests down to the two oldies: Lector (because, well, that's the one I'm demoing) and Matrix (because it's bloody fantastic). For that robotic sound that I'm looking for, i.m.o. none of them come close to Matrix. It's intelligible and has a kind of weight to the sound that the others lack, at least in my experience. Matrix indeed lacks several of the sculpting tools that Lector has. And I too encountered some small but annoying bugs in Lector (and I hate the preset system). Still, it has a nice sound, lots of knobs to fiddle with and the current price is tempting.

RichN wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:05 pm For that robotic sound that I'm looking for, i.m.o. none of them come close to Matrix.
Yes, that i meant exactly.

BTW, meanwhile bought Lector now, and last couple hours did test it. Well..nonetheless not a bad thing, i would say, a bit better than it seemed to me in past years. But really a pair mini-bugs during walk thru presets was catched:

1) sometimes after switch to other preset, stay quiet hanged sound, and it's not "by design" - i did check all knobs, it's not should sounding. What is confirmed by that if save DAW project in this Lector "hanged" condition, and reload project - Lector will properly silent. I haven't identified the pattern for reproduce yet, but it looks like a random behavior.
2) reproducible bug: load preset "Crazy Pitch Latch T" (it's demonstrate modulation pitch by LFO), LFO stay in Sync mode, and if try to turn lfo's Speed knob - nothing occurs (and show no info about changed synced time measures in upper info screen), then just disable\enable Sync button and try to adjust Speed - all is changing by sound and displayed.

And this at first time use. It seems that plug condition leaves much to be desired.

RichN wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:05 pm For that robotic sound that I'm looking for, i.m.o. none of them come close to Matrix. It's intelligible and has a kind of weight to the sound that the others lack, at least in my experience. Matrix indeed lacks several of the sculpting tools that Lector has. And I too encountered some small but annoying bugs in Lector (and I hate the preset system). Still, it has a nice sound, lots of knobs to fiddle with and the current price is tempting.
Thanks for the insights. I wonder how close the Matrix Vocoder ios app is to the desktop version, at least sound-wise? I would expect very similar, with the bonus of a touch interface. Picked up the app for $4.99 in a recent sale.

Been tempted by the APD sale here, but had a Waldorf Lector demo previously that I barely took for a drive, though I found the interface was rather busy. All the feedback here leads me to believe I'm better off skipping the sale. Maybe I'll try using Largo as a carrier for MVocoder instead.

Had to pick this up, as i dont have too many vocoders and theres alway room for new flavours. What is really great - when checking out you can add largo for 29,- to the cart which is great as i missed the sale lately on largo and for that price it´s awesome! .. oh, on audioplugindeals for those who don´t read the first page.

Xbucket wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:00 pm Had to pick this up, as i dont have too many vocoders and theres alway room for new flavours. What is really great - when checking out you can add largo for 29,- to the cart which is great as i missed the sale lately on largo and for that price it´s awesome! .. oh, on audioplugindeals for those who don´t read the first page.
Wow. Now that's a nice deal.

Now it's time for a bigger GUI update for both.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

frackermak wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm Just bought this on offer from Audio Plugin Deals.
Can't work out how to load the presets.

The VST is looking for .fxp files. (VST3 Windows)
The presets I've downloaded from the Waldorf site are .vstpreset
Not sure what I'm doing wrong? :?

Can anyone help please?

Thank you.
Could you tell us where you downloaded the presets on the Waldorf site? I registered my serial on my Waldorf account and don't see any presets files for download (only the installer and manual files). Thanks!
A well-behaved signature.

Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:06 am The presets can be downloaded here https://waldorfmusic.weclapp.com/webapp ... /home.page
Great, I appreciate it! :)
A well-behaved signature.

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:27 pm I have a hunch Arturia will have a vocoder (Roland VP-330 or Moog/Bode 7702?) in V-Collection 8.
Did you know the VP-330 has already been done, and done well?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=398620
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

I'll get lector when it's on sale again. Happy with largo, low cpu.

Return to “Effects”