Music theory and composition course that I benefited from

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Just sharing a course on Udemy that only costed me 10$ but gave me trememdous help.

each lesson is under 10 minutes, which makes it so easy to complete.

https://www.udemy.com/course/music-composition-1/ (https://www.udemy.com/course/music-composition-1/)

Probably my favorite music theory course online: Hack Music Theory - https://hackmusictheory.com/home

looks useful

PentaPanda wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:19 am that only costed me 10$
At the site it costs $49.99.

Bought the same course year or two ago.. Maybe I should begin it.. Right after I finish the beginner guitar lesson that I did start a year ago :lol:

I looked at the page for a bit, it looks like people shill for it in comments. I googled the teacher, who is a really good orchestrator. He is at pains to place 'Award-winning composer' in front of everything I found from him in searches. He has been into VSL since 2007 (I see at their forum), and if the things I heard are that he's extremely good at it. I think there may be wiser expenditures than this out there if you don't have a lot of bread, but he knows what he's on about.

> he knows what he's on about.

Probably yes. But can he teach as well? Transferring knowledge requires different skills than applying them.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Unknown, unless one trusts the remarks on that page, lot of 5 stars and kind of glib assessments of how great their experience was. He does speak very simply/directly and clearly. I was suspicious of 'Award-winning composer' every single time and having never heard of this composer checked it out. Unclear on what award(s) is/are referred to.
TBPF, the music I found is really old-hat. Pleasant, tame, professional but in the bigger picture, it's well-trodden ground. But either he has access to really good orchestras or is fantastic with VSL libraries (& mixing) and so forth.

and no one here is saying just how they benefited, from what. A member with two posts promoting such a product looks pretty shillish. Personally I don't find that people are taught how to compose but are taught tools and mechanics which serve that. Anyone I met in school who was a composition major was obviously composing during high school or earlier or they won't be in that major, so the higher education was guidance on top of emphasis of say counterpoint or further interrogation of ancillary subjects like poetry, scansion/meter, cross-disciplinary areas. You're going to get most of chops in 'Music Theory', ie., harmony class; then analyze form and talk about/write about that (with guidance or maybe not, 'go write a paper and be graded').

that said, maybe 50 bucks is a good deal

jancivil wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:58 am
Udemy are one of those places where they basically have constant sales. If its currently more than $15, hang on a week.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Ok, being that 10 or 15 bucks means a coffee and a sandwich at starbucks and maybe a donut, you could do worse with the money

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:39 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:58 am
Udemy are one of those places where they basically have constant sales. If its currently more than $15, hang on a week.
...aaaaand they're on again. FWIW.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

€16,99 hurry up, Thomas! :hyper:

Udemy upcharges you if you search for specifics. They know u want it. Just make a new account with a new ip. Or ask them and they will help you get a discount. They are just printing money with there ready built course system.

Return to “Music Theory”