Silly MIDI history question - why is there a helicopter in General MIDI?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

justin3am wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 am 128 shoulda been fart. I'd use that way more than gunshot.
At least in Europe its easer to use your own fart in a concert than a gun...

id rather you did neither if im stood near you. thanks :)

For that sound you wouldn‘t mind...

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:20 pm For that sound you wouldn‘t mind...
not the sound that worries me :scared:

vurt wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:56 pm
rrivers wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 pm Because they're WAY cool (although I'll have to admit I'm a bit biased in that regard, since I'm a retired Army helicopter instructor pilot :D )

AND
Pink Floyd, The Wall :wink:
you just became one of the coolest kvr members :tu:

do we have any astronauts/cosmonauts to beat this guy?

ill even take fighter jet pilot although, thats just equal when it comes to military helicopters.

other than that actual samurai or ninjas, or anyone who has swam with great whites, outside a cage :)
LOL!!
Thankfully, I flew a LOT better than I play music.
Although I was known to sing while flying on occasion... :lol:

rrivers wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 pm Although I was known to sing while flying on occasion... :lol:
"Volare"?

DSmolken wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:44 am
rrivers wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:35 pm Although I was known to sing while flying on occasion... :lol:
"Volare"?
Nah, more like Def Leppard "Armageddon It", or Judas Priest "You Got Another Thing Coming".
Or anything by the Rolling Stones broadcast by AFN (AM) that we happened to pick up on our ADF's. :D
Of course, Pink Floyd was good for the occasional border cruise listening ~
"Learning to Fly" came out while I was in flight training, so it seemed fitting 8)

rrivers wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:39 pm
DSmolken wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:44 am
"Volare"?
Nah, more like Def Leppard "Armageddon It", or Judas Priest "You Got Another Thing Coming".
Or anything by the Rolling Stones broadcast by AFN (AM) that we happened to pick up on our ADF's. :D
Of course, Pink Floyd was good for the occasional border cruise listening ~
"Learning to Fly" came out while I was in flight training, so it seemed fitting 8)
please tell me you played the doors and jefferson airplane on the onboard sound system, flying low and slow over houses??? :wheee:

Viet Nam PTSD

Hi all,

I think it's important to point out the the General MIDI specification actually does not dictate what the actual sound of a patch actually contains, just what the name of that sound is. Of course most people expect an acoustic piano to sound like one. But when it comes to sound effects, there is no telling what people may want. I suspect that they just came up with a list of names, and it was just left at that. What people put into the patch called "helicopter" was not necessarily a helicopter. Users had to play the sound to find out what it actually was.

Regards,
Dave Clark

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”