Considering Kyma

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:32 am
Michael L wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:43 am Scot wrote a 2012 CM article about cutting waves out of samples, finding the fundamental and then drawing in extra harmonics up to 32, like Kyma but with scissors, paste and crayons.
That sounds... painful. 😂
Not as painful as paying "a ridiculous amount of money" for something that will not make your songs "better or more original." :shrug:
Last edited by Michael L on Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

zakbelica wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:32 am Yes, it's rarer in mainstream music production... I think Amon Tobin and Richard Devine use it every once in a while. Here's a resource that may help, the Kyma newsletter:
https://news.symbolicsound.com/
Yes, those were two people who came to mind. I’m not positive, but I think BT might also use it... but then, he uses everything. 😂

I found a not bad price on a used Paca, so I’m considering that as a slightly less expensive option to dip my toe into the pool. That actually might be enough for me, since I’m not planning on giving up my main DAW. I won’t know until I try and find out how quickly I run out of resources.

I’ve also been playing around with the Sound Particles demo this evening, and that’s a lot of fun. It does let me generate some of the granular and spacial bits of sound I might want to get out of Kyma, although to be honest it’s just making me more interested in Kyma. It’s cheap enough that I could pick that one up eventually too if I really want it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

For example, looking at the timeline, I’m not really sure how much would use that in a musical context with sounds in the timeline coming in and out and being in layer by prerecorded MIDI data in sync with other tracks.
I swear English isn’t my second language! I’m usually typing on my phone, and it has a tendency to garble things which slip past. Even I’m not sure what I was trying to say here!

Basically as far as I can tell there isn’t a single master multitrack midi piano roll to accompany the timeline, which sort of hinders the ease of using it in a musical context.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Complexity is what keeps me away from Kyma and $.
Some threads on Kyma.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/searc ... words=kyma
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 0&t=165939

Hmmm, Sound Particles looks interesting, but pretty pricey, like they think they're competing with Autodesk. Free educator licenses, though, might give it a go.

I'd love a Kyma if someone wants to give me one for nowt, but couldnt justify the cost of one. And personally, right now more interested in getting my head around Houdini. I talked myself out of the Kyma 'wondering' a long time ago on the basis of Max4Live and Csound/Cabbage, and I spend more time on the modulars anyway.
If it was software, which it kinda could be by now, I would happily pay twice what they're asking for Sound Particles, but the hardware specs look less and less like good value as time goes on, and even if was interested in spending that much, that's what would put me off. The Pacarana is what, ten years old now? That's about how long the Capybara lasted, kinda thought we'd have seen a new hardware unit by now.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Interesting (offtopic) fact : Houdini (and Touch Designer) were significantly influenced by Csound ancestor CMusic...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

In a parallel universe — MetaSynth for Windows & Mac should be out by the end of the year.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

^^^
How do I get to that parallel universe?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm ^^^
How do I get to that parallel universe?
deeeeeeeeeee emmmmmmmmmm teeeeeeeeeee.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:24 pm^^^How do I get to that parallel universe?
Follow the yellow brick road: https://uisoftware.com/2020/05/24/known-issues/
They rewrote their 3D software, and MetaSynth is next. It will be a 'new' product, not an upgrade.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Looks like I will not have to go to that parallel universe after all. :)
In this universe I am on Windows 10 so I am happy with the news!

Pfff.Richard Devine endorse anything , just like Jordan Rudess .,
Kyma ,reaktor , max msp , I'm sure he can't even make a basic counter in core

Lesser known artists like Christian Vogel actually use it and are an active part of the community .
IF you want to get into kyma , you can start out using supercollider which syntax is partially based on smalltalk and c
Being a non programmer myself , I have a really hard time with but there is something magical when seeing a few lines of codes being executed succesfully
And supercollider sounds fanastic
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

FYI, LNX_Studio is a free Mac DAW built in Supercollider: http://lnxstudio.sourceforge.net/
And while we’re at it, still crazy after all these years is CDP:
https://composersdesktop.com/
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Yes supercollider is amazingly powerfull , but sometimes I wonder why I'm learning it .
I am pretty experienced in reaktor/core, and to get to the same level of expertise in supercollider , it will take me years ...and that is time wasted not making music at all .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:54 pm Pfff.Richard Devine endorse anything , just like Jordan Rudess .,
Kyma ,reaktor , max msp , I'm sure he can't even make a basic counter in core

Lesser known artists like Christian Vogel actually use it and are an active part of the community .
IF you want to get into kyma , you can start out using supercollider which syntax is partially based on smalltalk and c
Being a non programmer myself , I have a really hard time with but there is something magical when seeing a few lines of codes being executed succesfully
And supercollider sounds fanastic
Hate to disappoint you, but I've done some research in relation to Maschine+, lately. Afaik Jordan Rudess does not endorse it. Nor does he endorse AKAI MPC X. I could be totally wrong, though. Because Jordan Rudess indeed endorses almost everything, so I could have missed it :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”