IK Multimedia T-racks Tape Machine Collection

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Tape Machine Collection

and I don't get why people think it's appropriate to tell a bullshit story about someone just to insult them in a petty little fit of pique, by shit like 'if you don't know how' to delete a file. Fanboi gone amok, or what.
It's obviously an irritant to many.

I finally decided to install my IKMM stuff on the new machine, which requires knowing your IKMM password (which unless I buy a new machine I'm not dealing with at all). If google hadn't saved it (no help to the Product Manager login) in its sync paradigm I will have had to wait three days in limbo because resetting the password obv couldn't be done without logging into their website, which gave me three_consecutive_passwords that the site bot refused. And this has happened not once but twice before. The experience is quite unlike any other experience authorizing licenses from a vendor in more than one way. I don't know how a website for a business which relies on its customer base logging in to access their purchases gets to be this broken.

They do seem to have improved something since I did not have to 'restore your gear' or whatever that's specifically called this time. Which in any case no improvement occurs if everyone blindly accepts everything.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

acousticglue wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 am I personally have no idwa why people continually harp on this single thing. Stop being stupid and delete the files associated. If you don't know how then throw your computer in the trash and stop using this forum to talk about it
Then when you update, do it again.

And when you update further, do it once again.

And our children's children, and our children's children's children..
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

acousticglue wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:06 am I personally have no idwa why people continually harp on this single thing. Stop being stupid and delete the files associated. If you don't know how then throw your computer in the trash and stop using this forum to talk about it
Because it goes beyond user unfriendly into a zone that could be called abusive, and they've had every opportunity to fix it with their newest installation tool. Sure I could even write a script myself to delete the unwanted files so it's easier every time something is installed and all those files need to be deleted.

Why is that my responsibility and not the vendor's responsibility?

Maybe people harp on it because the company still hasn't heard the message. What does it say about them as a company that they do not take in customer feedback? Either Peter has not shared the feedback, or he has and the product management has ignored it, either intentionally or because they don't care. There is no answer here that shines a good light on IK.

Why do business with a company like that?

I try not to waste my time being upset about these things anymore, I just take my money elsewhere. There is no question that installing all plugins is a customer hostile setup. IK and Roland Cloud are a couple of examples of software management systems that are so annoying that I have resisted buying software I really wanted. I regret buying D50 even though it is wonderful, because I'm strapped to their horrible cloud crap. I would have bought Hammond B-3X and Mixbox in a flash, but I promised myself to not get in deeper with IK. I think it is strange when companies don't want their customers to "love" them. U-he, GForce, Synapse are examples of companies I have a warm fuzzy feeling about. They always seem to do what feels good to the customer - they keep things nice and simple...and in turn I sometimes buy things from them I'm not sure about just to support them!

Of course, because smart people accept cheap marketing strategies and they uninstall 30 plugins every single time they try to install just a single plugin. Also smart people love to have 3 apps for plugin activation/registration. Hopefully IKM will soon develop 4th app for the same purpose.
Or for smart people like you IKM should maybe also install 3rd party web browser plugins and some random software :P
Smart people obviously accept every silly inconvenience with a smile.

pixel85 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:41 am Hopefully IKM will soon develop 4th app for the same purpose.
No, they are too busy developing their 4th host to load their own proprietary effect processors.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I’m just wondering why Native Instruments don’t get the same flak as IK... Access continues to install AAX versions for every NI Plugin I install. Not configurable. Clutters my hard drive, too.
As do a lot of other manufacturers. Probably because most people don’t even notice...

fese wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:09 am I’m just wondering why Native Instruments don’t get the same flak as IK... Access continues to install AAX versions for every NI Plugin I install. Not configurable. Clutters my hard drive, too.
As do a lot of other manufacturers.

The thing is that it is possible to delete the IK-plugins you don't need,
but this has to be done manually every time you install a new one.
That makes it so frustrating.
By the way: Yes, you are right with NI.
From time to time I have to make a search on my harddrive (PC, Win 10 Pro) and enter the keyword "Avid".
Then all AAX-plugins will be listed, which i can delete in one go. But: This is also annoying.
But at least I can choose in Native Access, which plugins I want to install...

paolostylo wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:05 am
The thing is that it is possible to delete the IK-plugins you don't need,
but this has to be done manually every time you install a new one.
That makes it so frustrating.
By the way: Yes, you are right with NI.
From time to time I have to make a search on my harddrive (PC, Win 10 Pro) and enter the keyword "Avid".
Then all AAX-plugins will be listed, which i can delete in one go. But: This is also annoying.
But at least I can choose in Native Access, which plugins I want to install...
Well, if you delete the AAX version, Access complains about “repair needed”, and next update their back again...
In the end, both definitely could be better and more user friendly , but for me it’s more like a first world problem, doesn’t bother me much, my hard drive is big enough and as I use a DAW with a proper plugin manager, I just disable all IK plugins I don’t have once and never see them again...

I’m much more annoyed by badly executed fake 3D plugin GUIs like their new MixBox as that’s something that really makes a difference when working with the plugin.

fese wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:09 am I’m just wondering why Native Instruments don’t get the same flak as IK... Access continues to install AAX versions for every NI Plugin I install. Not configurable. Clutters my hard drive, too.
Because NI doesn't do that shit. I could go 'install everything' in NA but I install one thing at a time, for one thing.
The talking point is IKMM installers, to install the one thing, now via Product Manager, install every known thing.

The other thing is inexplicable, I have never had to delete an NI plugin in AAX, or MAS that I can recall. Before NA, the installer gives you a Customize option where AAX et al may be deselected. I have a MAS folder in the usual place.
Having reinstalled everything anew this year, it is a certainly that I haven't done. I don't know why it doesn't install but VST and AU here; I do have a Digidesign folder in user name/library etc something placed there but I just installed an NI plugin and that directory remains quite empty. :shrug: It may do if one uses AAX plugins in Pro Tools which seems normal.
But you're right, it isn't configurable.

I don't see what the big deal is. IK rarely updates their software, so it's not like you'll be reinstalling it anytime soon.

We're still waiting on a eco mode for the Tape Machines so we can mix with tape on every channel. Instead of updating Tape Machines to be usable, they come out with a cassette tape model.

Why give customers an update for their software they already paid for when you can charge them all over again for a dumbed-down version of it, instead?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

revvy wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:28 am
Then when you update, do it again.

And when you update further, do it once again.

And our children's children, and our children's children's children..
yeah. this^^^

its really annoying. and also a really dumb feature of the installer. there doesnt matter how many 1,000s of times the installer installs a plugin i dont have, -- i will not but it just because i happen to accidentally click on it. i will buy it if it goes on one of those crazy deal sales. time to change the installer IKM.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

IK installs everything in hopes you'll buy whatever you don't already own. Everything they do is profit driven not driven by the convenience of the customer.

Once we realize that then we can decide whether to do business with them or not. I own a ton of IK stuff but it's getting harder and harder for me to pull the trigger on any new purchases. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

jancivil wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:20 pm
Because NI doesn't do that shit. I could go 'install everything' in NA but I install one thing at a time, for one thing.
The talking point is IKMM installers, to install the one thing, now via Product Manager, install every known thing.

The other thing is inexplicable, I have never had to delete an NI plugin in AAX, or MAS that I can recall. Before NA, the installer gives you a Customize option where AAX et al may be deselected. I have a MAS folder in the usual place.
Having reinstalled everything anew this year, it is a certainly that I haven't done. I don't know why it doesn't install but VST and AU here; I do have a Digidesign folder in user name/library etc something placed there but I just installed an NI plugin and that directory remains quite empty. :shrug: It may do if one uses AAX plugins in Pro Tools which seems normal.
But you're right, it isn't configurable.
NI automatically installs AAX plug-ins in your "common files" folder in ProgramFiles(x86). Around 800 mb of them with me thus far, but it is depending on what you own and install.
There is no option to deselect the installing of AAX files, only a mention in Native Access that AAX plugins will be installed in the standard folder.

A lot of other brands also do this btw, but also in different folders and sometimes only reference files or other AAX related stuff.

Do a search for AAX on your system drive and you'll be surprised what you find :wink:
More BPM please

AAX all go into one folder. I don't have pro tools... I just delete the whole folder.
Ik is no way in comparison. You have to remember which ones you have bought etc etc etc.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Effects”