Why you left Bitwig?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use mostly W10 but iMac for Logic Pro and BWS in the weekend.
S1 4.6 "very stable" on W10 and never installed on the iMac.

That link is outrageous :scared: . I'll wait until things gets fixed then. Thank you for pointing it out :tu:

If the Grid (BWS) would send MIDI out it would be fabulous...
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

@Biscotto
You mentioned that you were trying to record the Ableton LFO as automation.
Well you can.
So if you using a random of whatever shape to modulate anything in Ableton that shape can be recorded to a midi track simultaneously.

If you are interested just post back.

I left Bitwig for Ableton because while the infinite sound design possibilities are tempting, in every day use with limited time for music I actually prefer to have devices pre-configured and stuff pre "connected" if that makes any sense? Like I want to quickly add a filter with an LFO or a mid/side EQ without first creating effect racks, adding modulators etc. And yes, I know that I can save pre-connected default state for my Bitwig devices but that doesn't cut it. It's about the whole philosophy behind the DAW workflow.

substance90 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:10 am I left Bitwig for Ableton because while the infinite sound design possibilities are tempting, in every day use with limited time for music I actually prefer to have devices pre-configured and stuff pre "connected" if that makes any sense? Like I want to quickly add a filter with an LFO or a mid/side EQ without first creating effect racks, adding modulators etc. And yes, I know that I can save pre-connected default state for my Bitwig devices but that doesn't cut it. It's about the whole philosophy behind the DAW workflow.
Really? I think Live is at the opposite spectrum in the field of "pre-configured and stuff pre connected". It's rather positioning at "do it yourself". Look at Cubase. It has 4 filters to cater pre-defined needs by providing pre configured stuffs.

tooneba wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:43 am
substance90 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:10 am I left Bitwig for Ableton because while the infinite sound design possibilities are tempting, in every day use with limited time for music I actually prefer to have devices pre-configured and stuff pre "connected" if that makes any sense? Like I want to quickly add a filter with an LFO or a mid/side EQ without first creating effect racks, adding modulators etc. And yes, I know that I can save pre-connected default state for my Bitwig devices but that doesn't cut it. It's about the whole philosophy behind the DAW workflow.
Really? I think Live is at the opposite spectrum in the field of "pre-configured and stuff pre connected". It's rather positioning at "do it yourself". Look at Cubase. It has 4 filters to cater pre-defined needs by providing pre configured stuffs.
Well, for a TINY subset of typical uses - like filter with LFO or EQ with mid/side @substance90 is right, but if you want to use LFO or mid/side for anything else, then Bitwig is way faster, IMO. So I guess it all comes down to what you need or - dare I say it - imagine could be useful. I like to add LFOs or envelopes to e.g. saturation parameters or add reverb to side component and delay to mid; but not everyone is "crazy" like that. Some people just want to finish their tracks ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:53 am Some people just want to finish their tracks ;) :D
That was it for me at the end of the day. Yes, the routing possibilities were super nice but I kept exploring instead of finishing any music. In Live I finish tracks within days.

substance90 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 am In Live I finish tracks within days.
I definitely understand that statement.
I’m not a primary Live user, MuLab my main tool I go first but not exclusively.
I’ve been experimenting with BWS for long time and for sure it can be an exploratory delight in sound design and it’s also true that with an appropriate powerful synth I can also come up with extraordinary results, in sound creation, way sufficient for my music.

What’s left is the workflow and in BWS it’s derailed by it’s awesome modulation system which, form me, has become the greatest waste of time in my music life.

Ableton it’s built for results and results NOW.
I can do the same in MuLab and S1 but not yet in BWS.

It’s probably me but I need to say that BWS can indeed encourage such a journey into endless sound design and just the pleasure of experimenting with the carrot at the end of a looong stick :hihi:

liquidsound wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:35 pmWhat’s left is the workflow and in BWS it’s derailed by it’s awesome modulation system which, form me, has become the greatest waste of time in my music life.

It’s probably me but I need to say that BWS can indeed encourage such a journey into endless sound design and just the pleasure of experimenting with the carrot at the end of a looong stick :hihi:
Let's write to support@bitwig.com asking that access to modulators, Grid, loop and Clip Launcher should be locked until there's at least 3 minutes of material in the Arranger ;) :D

I'd actually use it :help:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:02 pm
liquidsound wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:35 pmWhat’s left is the workflow and in BWS it’s derailed by it’s awesome modulation system which, form me, has become the greatest waste of time in my music life.

Let's write to support@bitwig.com asking that access to modulators, Grid, loop and Clip Launcher should be locked until there's at least 3 minutes of material in the Arranger ;) :D

I'd actually use it :help:
:lol: Love it!

liquidsound wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:39 am @Biscotto
You mentioned that you were trying to record the Ableton LFO as automation.
Well you can.
So if you using a random of whatever shape to modulate anything in Ableton that shape can be recorded to a midi track simultaneously.

If you are interested just post back.
Well, maybe this will be of interest to other users
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKMhFLADXfg

I'm still waiting for Bitwig to deliver an update that focuses on bread-and-butter features, basically one that is all about implementing the features Live has and Bitwig doesn't yet. When that's done Live users might start jumping ship.

All recent updates have been about adding modulators, modules, the grid, plugins—that sort of thing. While these are awesome if you are into experimental glitchy unpredictable sonic randomness, if your goal is to finish tracks then a lot of these features are actually not that useful.

With their current pricing model Bitwig doesn't get any money until they deliver what people want. To know what people want, they need a way to communicate with customers. Most companies have some kind of FR submission system, in Bitwig's case the current system is utterly *STUPID*: Basically, users are supposed to email Bitwig support their suggestions directly, which means users have no way to discuss an FR with other users, no way to follow it up, and no way to know how popular an FR is. Bitwig should look to Presonus for a good FR submission and voting system. This is important because most users can't be bothered to write out a detailed FR. They'd much rather search the forum and vote one that's already been written by someone else and perhaps add a comment to it. No user feedback means Bitwig are not getting an accurate picture of what people want or what might make users of other DAWs switch to Bitwig, and so they are losing customers to the competition.

Scoox wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:54 pm I'm still waiting for Bitwig to deliver an update that focuses on bread-and-butter features, basically one that is all about implementing the features Live has and Bitwig doesn't yet. When that's done Live users might start jumping ship.
Which bread'n'butter features is Bitwig missing?

I never did much with it when it first came out. It was buggy, handled system resources poorly, and had a dumb way of using multi out plugins. I got it basically for free bundled with a new controller so I figured it would be something to play with every once in a while, and another platform for my beta testing. Aside from testing things out, I made maybe 30 tracks with it and then left it be.

Later I checked out the V2 beta when it came out and was still underwhelmed though the performance issues were better. It also had issues opening my V1 projects and projects made on my laptop system, so I figured I’d be done with it for good.

Once the grid came out and got some bugs worked out, I actually went back and demoed it again, and very much enjoyed it as well as having almost no issues running it. Then I waited until they had a sale and upgraded to the latest. I’m using it quite a bit for sound design now. The grid, the refinements to the modulation, and the performance enhancements have made it quite the environment for crazy sonics of all types.

JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Scoox wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:54 pm I'm still waiting for Bitwig to deliver an update that focuses on bread-and-butter features, basically one that is all about implementing the features Live has and Bitwig doesn't yet. When that's done Live users might start jumping ship.

All recent updates have been about adding modulators, modules, the grid, plugins—that sort of thing. While these are awesome if you are into experimental glitchy unpredictable sonic randomness, if your goal is to finish tracks then a lot of these features are actually not that useful.

With their current pricing model Bitwig doesn't get any money until they deliver what people want. To know what people want, they need a way to communicate with customers. Most companies have some kind of FR submission system, in Bitwig's case the current system is utterly *STUPID*: Basically, users are supposed to email Bitwig support their suggestions directly, which means users have no way to discuss an FR with other users, no way to follow it up, and no way to know how popular an FR is.
Exactly the reasons why I'm selling Bitwig+plans.
The modulators were fun for a while. I don't care for all the Grid stuff. Workflow is still sub par. I'm also not a fan of the upgrade plan system.

Rivanni wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:33 am The modulators were fun for a while. I don't care for all the Grid stuff. Workflow is still sub par.
Subpar compared to what, what you used before?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”