DnB Breaks

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yo!

I really like using the well known breaks, with technology increasing as fast as it is the fun these days is to USE that technology to makre a common break sound better than it ever has. I love using the amen break but effecting it so much that it sounds like nothing else, great fun!

the reason I posted is to say that the tramen break was sampled from a trace track but was actualy crafted by Dom & Roland, although he appeared uncredited.

P.S. for the poster complaining about the 'ease of sampling' these days, I don't relly see your point. I do music for the fun of it, along with a shift of technology comes a shift of expectations from listeners. I could take a sample and timestretch it then loop it but my track would'nt be particularly satisfying to me, the real sense of achievement from making a track happens when youv'e put a lot of work into something and it comes out sounding good. Whether the work was done on slicing and splicing a single loop, or making a hundred variations with different effects on each, you still get the same satisfaction when listening back to it! I probably haven't explained myself that well, I could go on but I'll spare you... :)
Hello, im new. Oh Yes

Future Music, November 2004 (FM154) Page 94:

DOM ON THAT LEGENDARY BREAK
I know there are a lots of different stories about this break, but here's the truth. I made it back in the days when I was still fully analogue and working out of an old studio in Shepherd's Bush. And it was all done on the Roland S760. Basically, I wanted to do something different with the three breaks that everyone was using at that time - the Samurai break that Photek used;the Pulp Fiction/Flow break that was all over Alex Reece's tracks; and, of course, the Amen break.

The amen break that I was working with had been taken from a really old hardcore record and had a very distinct sound. I layered that with bits and pieces from the Flow and Samurai break and had about 16 different elements going through the desk. I bounced it down and that was that. I knew it was special as soon as I heard it. Just one of those breaks that you can listen to for ten minutes without getting bored.

Trace came around a few days later and really liked the sound of it. He literally wrote two tunes there and then using the break-one of them, Mutant Jazz Revisited, was huge. It was also the tune that made me stop engineering for other people. My name never made it onto that piece of vinyl. Not even as an engineer.

Naively, I worked with Trace again and was foolish enough to stick a few bars of clean break on the end of a track. It was my own fault. It's been all over the place. But the most annoying thing was that people started crediting Trace with inventing that break. C'mon...he didn't even know how to use a computer.

I used to get really angry about it. Going up to people in clubs and saying 'Oi, that's my f**king break you're using.' But life's too short. People now seem to know that it's my invention and it's one of the most well known breaks around. I consider it a real personal achievement.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”