Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

I'm not trying to start a negotiation with you on this subject.

I'm just saying if someone sends me an email claiming to be you and asking for your license I'm not going to give it to them.

That's all.

If you plan on your email address changing I would highly recommend you notify me first from that email.

Also, Google is not going out of business in your lifetime and they will not be suddenly changing billions of peoples emails without warning. That is not a prediction of an event which has any chance of happening. I've had the same yahoo email since 1995 and they never changed it and Google is even less likely to change it.

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:27 am I'm not trying to start a negotiation with you on this subject.

I'm just saying if someone sends me an email claiming to be you and asking for your license I'm not going to give it to them.

That's all.
So if I wrote you an email from a different email address that I had bought Fathom Pro or Vector with my old email address purchase@tricky-loops.de and now I have a different one and I tell you the new email address, I cannot get my honestly bought license anymore :?:

And there isn't a serial number, either, as proof of my purchase?

Why not simply sending an email to purchase@tricky-loops.de to see that it isn't active anymore because it comes back :?:

If you are seriously asking me to give away your "honestly bought" license to anyone who asks for it then I can do that just for you. Send me your email and I'll make a special exception to give your license away to anyone who asks for it. Then don't complain next time you upgrade your PC and you try to ping your license and it is no longer there because I gave it away to someone else.

You seem to be stuck on the assumption that I have a magic crystal ball that I can look into and know when someone tells me they have a new email that it is the same person. I DON'T. I have absolutely no way of knowing that it is you. NONE.

If you are asking me to just willy-nilly transfer licenses based on random email requests then as soon as I say yes in this thread 500 freebooters are going to ask for everyone's license and everyone will lose their license and we will be up the creek and you will be the first person to complain that their "honestly bought" license is gone.

I have explained this as clearly as I possibly can and you keep trying to make it complicated.

I am NOT handing out ANYONE's license based on a random email.

If you are going to change your email send me an email from the original email first so I know it is you. If you are afraid you are going to forget your email password and get locked out of that email then write it down somewhere. If you are using an email service that you are in constant fear is going to suddenly go out of business and disappear or permanently lock you out if you don't pay your bill then get a different email like gmail.

Please give up asking me the same question in different ways because the answer is not going to change.

FathomSynth wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:40 am If you are asking me to just willy-nilly transfer licenses based on random email requests then as soon as I say yes in this thread 500 freebooters are going to ask for everyone's license and everyone will lose their licenses
I sincerely doubt that humans were THAT bad. Maybe a few but 500 I cannot imagine... :wink:
Last edited by Tricky-Loops on Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tricky-Loops wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:38 pm Or a provider disappears, like Hotmail.
I still have my hotmail account, MS just doesn't hand out new hotmail addresses only Outlook.com

The good old days. Back before there were hard drives I pulled an all-nighter finishing my college term C programming project. Somewhere around dawn I finished and leaned back in my chair to relish the moment and kicked the power cord out of my Apple IIe, zap, all gone.
floppy.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

This sort of thing can also happen today. Whenever it happened to me, recreating the same didn‘t take as long as before and more than once the final result was even better. But if you are on a deadline its a desaster...
Save early and often is the lesson learned, but it still happens to me from time to time if I am driven away in a creative flow...
(My first programming experience also was on an Apple ][ (compatible), but Pascal and later Modula II...)

FathomSynth wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:37 pm Yes, that's correct, definitely don't buy it if you are planning on changing your email.

Gmail is free and it never changes so I'm not sure why that would be complicated for anyone.
That puts the last nail in the coffin for me. I'm not going to put another cent into Fathom until you get a proper use area. It's all just way too much hassle. Your product is great, but - as many have pointed out - you need help with everything else. Good luck, I hope you realize how clumsy and unprofessional your technicalities around Fathom are.

Usually I change my e-mail when I login to any developer. The combination of user name and password prevents the fraud. I have an account on https://www.fathomsynth.com/forum.
There I can change my e-mail without problem. Its save as protected by a (hopefully) secure password.
I could demand the change there, if I lost access to my original e-mail.
It happened to me once, my mail provider was taken over by a bigger company, and they decided to shut the service down. I got a mail saying something like " as you know already from the news, we will shut down your e-mail next week..."
I didn't know it from the news, they could have left it as it is (like hotmail)... Shit happens...
Of course that forum wasn't in place when the first Fathom was released. The problem probably only exists for early adopters if at all. The legit user could be verified with the aid of KVR I guess. I think I purchased it through the market place here...

From the moment I found out about Fathom everything has been simple to setup, with every update etc. I never needed any help.
Complaining about registered E-mail and what happens when a provider suddenly stops? Come on..

Changing your email address will mess up with a lot of online account-based services. Sometimes, when changing your email, it will send you a confirmation to your current email address. If you lose access to that email address, how do you prove it's yours? That's a good question, and it doesn't apply only to Fathom, it's a problem with a lot of online services. That's why some of them have you introduce recovery options like a telephone number or an alternative email address.

Jorgeelalto wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:52 am Changing your email address will mess up with a lot of online account-based services. Sometimes, when changing your email, it will send you a confirmation to your current email address. If you lose access to that email address, how do you prove it's yours? That's a good question, and it doesn't apply only to Fathom, it's a problem with a lot of online services. That's why some of them have you introduce recovery options like a telephone number or an alternative email address.
that is right, that is problem with a lot of brands or developers. but most of them, i have proof. and of course order history. but still a second e-mail address or telephone number is almost mandatory.
also for security reasons.

Maybe Everett is willing to keep a secondary e-mail address for the ones that aren't sure about their provider?
Or idea: add the KVRaudio account as backup?

WasteLand wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:16 am
Jorgeelalto wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:52 am Changing your email address will mess up with a lot of online account-based services. Sometimes, when changing your email, it will send you a confirmation to your current email address. If you lose access to that email address, how do you prove it's yours? That's a good question, and it doesn't apply only to Fathom, it's a problem with a lot of online services. That's why some of them have you introduce recovery options like a telephone number or an alternative email address.
that is right, that is problem with a lot of brands or developers. but most of them, i have proof. and of course order history. but still a second e-mail address or telephone number is almost mandatory.
also for security reasons.
I guess in the end he will have to maintain a database, either himself manually or build a webpage like everyone else, in order to handle the clients' data. Probably he already does that, so...

I still hope for an account system where you can log in and change your email adress without any problems.

Even Synthmaster website information "If you change your email adress, you need a new serial number" is annoying...

It should be possible to log in and change your customer data, no matter what.

Serial numbers should be tied to the NAME of the person which change rarely.

Im not in any stress, I can buy Fathom Pro or Vector in several months, too, when there is a better system.

Return to “Instruments”