iZotope RX 8 - Absolute Magic! | Review and Special Offer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi folks! Recently I’ve been trying out the new RX 8 from iZotope, and I wanted to give you my thoughts.

First off, I must admit I’ve never used RX before, and so was kicking myself for having wasted so much time in the past painstakingly repairing audio, when this has so many ‘one click’ fixes.

Take for example De-plosive. Sure, I have a few de-essers, but usually had to either re-record or try to do some surgical dynamic EQ for plosives. So, I reached for De-plosive and BAM, it fixed it with default settings!

The same for De-bleed, Mouth De-click, Guitar De-noise and a number of others.

Here and there with other features, they were not perfect, but amazing considering the complexity of the task.

Features like Music Rebalance, which enables ‘remixing’ of elements such as vocals, bass, and drums from just a stereo file – had the geek in me excited (even though results were not ‘perfect’). By the way, this feature can be used to extract elements. So you can for example create an acapella vocal from an mp3. In most cases, using it may well be illegal – SO DON’T! However, my inner nerd was aroused!

So, what about price? There is a $99 version (Elements), which has a few handy features, but I suspect most would want the ‘Standard’ version at $299.

There is also the flagship ‘Advanced’ version at $999. Not cheap for most of us, but it you are using it professionally, it will pay you back. There are also many useful spoken work features if that’s your thing.

At the time of writing, Plugin Boutique are throwing in iZotope Trash 2, and UJAM Carbon with any of these versions.

You can check out my tests here: https://youtu.be/M-yTR_LIlhA

I've been on it since RX3, and use it every day. Fantastic software for the most part. But not enough new features in RX8 Advanced for me to upgrade from RX7 Advanced at $299...

This marketing BS ("Absolute Magic") is just childish and ridiculous.
This click baiting is simply annoying.

Does anyone remember the cheapest this gets for upgrades? I could’ve sworn that the price from RX standard to advanced got down to about $380 or so from resellers sometime last year.

I've just upgraded to RX8. I thought the upgrade price was pretty expensive tbh. :( I got my upgrade on JRR shop it was cheaper than Izotope's site.

martinjuenke wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:11 pm This marketing BS ("Absolute Magic") is just childish and ridiculous.
This click baiting is simply annoying.
Exaggeration perhaps but damn what do you know besides Capstan at $4500.00 USD that can take the wow and flutter out of vinyl records and tape based media? Izotope 8 Advanced is pretty astounding. The first time Melodyne Studio successfully tuned a stereo recording of a female vocal quartet that hit one sour note out of an otherwise flawless performance, the word "magical" was on my lips. I get your point but there are some products that are next level.

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:48 pm Does anyone remember the cheapest this gets for upgrades? I could’ve sworn that the price from RX standard to advanced got down to about $380 or so from resellers sometime last year.
Lowest upgrade offer I tracked from Standard to Advanced was $399 in early April this year, after reseller discount came to $339.15. The best Black Friday deal last year was no better than what you can get presently by shopping around.

Effectsworks wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:15 pm I've just upgraded to RX8. I thought the upgrade price was pretty expensive tbh. :( I got my upgrade on JRR shop it was cheaper than Izotope's site.
The prices vary so widely it’s hard to keep track. Last year the price for a new rx license was like $80 on sale or something ridiculous like that. This time I’m just waiting.

kidslow wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:45 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:48 pm Does anyone remember the cheapest this gets for upgrades? I could’ve sworn that the price from RX standard to advanced got down to about $380 or so from resellers sometime last year.
Lowest upgrade offer I tracked from Standard to Advanced was $399 in early April this year, after reseller discount came to $339.15. The best Black Friday deal last year was no better than what you can get presently by shopping around.
Around $400 from Standard to Advanced (before reseller discounts) is usually the best deal on that upgrade

Thanks. I’m definitely upgrading when it gets a bit cheaper again. It’s amazing software. The only other company that makes Roswell-level magic algorithms like iZotope’s is probably Zynaptiq. Just on another level. :love:

masterhiggins wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:58 am Roswell-level magic algorithms :love:
:lol: :lol: interesting concept, i must admit !

Can RX plugins be used as standalone VST, similairly to Ozone Advanced?
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rx/ ... ml#compare

Yes, this link states which processors are available as vst plugins you can use in other hosts.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm Can RX plugins be used as standalone VST, similairly to Ozone Advanced?
A VST is by definition a plug-in. But when you buy RX, there is also a standalone app.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Is the upgrade to Standard ever on sale? I'd like to go from RX6 to RX8 standard, but don't think I've seen it for less than $199 yet.

Return to “Effects”