Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm If I had to buy a synth with the latest, best sound quality, it would be Tal's Mod, whose features are much more in line with what I need, and its price is also much more affordable.
Really? I'm a big fan of TAL-Sampler and Bassline 101, but TAL-Mod never clicked with me. Please dont slap me, but am i the only one who finds TAL Mod a bit overrated? Maybe i havent spent enough time with it :?: I bought it without demoing :dog: but it's okay - i love TAL, so i see it as donation.

Apart from the great filters in both synths, my favorite feature in Diva is filter FM and the polyphonic distortion in Repro-5.

I use Massive X a lot and the way the filters, the distortion and the FM behave together feels very similar to analog hardware in my opinion. It has a very pleasant character and the smoothness and depth alike modular analog synths. Even when you push it over the edge, it still sounds great.

layzer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am
clipnotic wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:41 am
layzer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:53 am seriously, if you are any good at all at producing music,
lots of synths compete, even some free ones. :roll:
nonsense

If you compare a house with a pool and one without, you can live in both, but only swim in one! :D
houses and synths are entirely different things and
you must lack production skills because you think owning the most expensive
synths will make your music sound better. dream on.
Nonsense again

First I don't said "owning the most expensive" synths", I also use a few free plugins, but more paid plugins, because they are much better optimized, than the most freeware stuff I tested yet.

And VST synths are not the most expensive synths, especially for poly hardware you still pay much more and I never would buy that. And yes, if a synth sounds better than another, my music also sounds better, if I use it. And that depends on many things, different filters, envelopes character, voices, effect and overall quality ... is it an important solo sound or just only a backround layer and so on.

The same with dynamic stuff. Of course you can mix and master a track only with the DAW EQs, Compressors and / or freeware plugin and yes it can sound great, I also did this a long time, but meanwhile I have 4 paid plugins on my master track and it takes just an hour and a song is good mastered. That's the reason especially such tools are also not for free, because they optimize really good production skills and are top notch developed!

If you would really know something about production skills, I wouldn't have to explain you such simple beginner basics! :wink:

clipnotic wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:17 pm
layzer wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am
If you would really know something about production skills, I wouldn't have to explain you such simple beginner basics! :wink:
Same Discussion and same Accusations as usual.

Let´s say it like this: electronic Music does usually not sound half as good as Adele or Loreena McKennit for Example - some People even like Death Metal or Balkan Party Stuff - and in the Mid 90s the Clubs were flooded with Noise called "Schranz". Any Questions?

I must admit: I don´t know what I´d call good without the Experiences I made with my Fathers HQ Hifi System, too ...

What we can state is maybe, that many People focus on a certain Sound today and call it "analogue" - while most of them have probably never played with an analogue Synth built before 2000 and don´t mind about Alternatives anyway, because they tend to believe what the different Types of Marketing and Endorsement tell them and prefer Bang for the Buck in the End.

The strength of Diva is that it -isn't- quite what it appears to be. It keeps the familiar subtractive structure and everyone knows about the different component blocks expanding its versatility. But the design choices made provide a larger amount of tone shaping than is obviously apparent to some people, given their comments.

EG The Triple VCO block isn't just about Moog sounds. The oscillators can move "between" the various waveshapes. Similarly, Dual VCO isn't just about covering Roland - you can stack the waveshapes on top of each other in combo with crossmod. This is a big part of what gives Diva the ability to mimic so many basic subtractive things so well - it's not just about "Moog" or "Roland" etc but, rather, the ability to modify the basic waveshapes in various ways. Likewise, the VCA control isn't just about volume either.

Then you've got the pre-filter feedback and HPF. Let's take a real world example in Monark's feedback. Turn the load/feedback up, and the resonance on Monark won't sound like Diva. It's the main difference you'll likely notice between the two. Diva can't do that? Except it can. It turns out Diva's 12dB Cascade filter reacts much more like Monark does to feedback.

The same is true for stuff like adding and multiplying envelopes etc.. that helps create a wider variety on the envelope front, and you can also do stuff like multiply the LFO's at max rate and get into Repro territory. Point being, if you don't dig down, you'll think some things aren't quite possible - which often are.

All these choices add to something greater than "just" the components would suggest - giving Diva the ability to mimic and (to varying degrees) continuing to make a large number of classic emulative subtractive synths somewhat irrelevant.

sinemotor wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm Apart from the great filters in both synths, my favorite feature in Diva is filter FM and the polyphonic distortion in Repro-5.

I use Massive X a lot and the way the filters, the distortion and the FM behave together feels very similar to analog hardware in my opinion. It has a very pleasant character and the smoothness and depth alike modular analog synths. Even when you push it over the edge, it still sounds great.
Yeah. I also always have the feeling that I more or less can do anything with it, which is rare in soft synths, which are a bit of one trick ponies most of the time.

audiot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm If I had to buy a synth with the latest, best sound quality, it would be Tal's Mod, whose features are much more in line with what I need, and its price is also much more affordable.
Really? I'm a big fan of TAL-Sampler and Bassline 101, but TAL-Mod never clicked with me. Please dont slap me, but am i the only one who finds TAL Mod a bit overrated? Maybe i havent spent enough time with it :?: I bought it without demoing :dog: but it's okay - i love TAL, so i see it as donation.
It sounds very good to me, although I don't like the user interface much. I prefer realistic ones to 2D.

PAK wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:37 pm The strength of Diva is that it -isn't- quite what it appears to be. It keeps the familiar subtractive structure and everyone knows about the different component blocks expanding its versatility. But the design choices made provide a larger amount of tone shaping than is obviously apparent to some people, given their comments.

EG The Triple VCO block isn't just about Moog sounds. The oscillators can move "between" the various waveshapes. Similarly, Dual VCO isn't just about covering Roland - you can stack the waveshapes on top of each other in combo with crossmod. This is a big part of what gives Diva the ability to mimic so many basic subtractive things so well - it's not just about "Moog" or "Roland" etc but, rather, the ability to modify the basic waveshapes in various ways. Likewise, the VCA control isn't just about volume either.

Then you've got the pre-filter feedback and HPF. Let's take a real world example in Monark's feedback. Turn the load/feedback up, and the resonance on Monark won't sound like Diva. It's the main difference you'll likely notice between the two. Diva can't do that? Except it can. It turns out Diva's 12dB Cascade filter reacts much more like Monark does to feedback.

The same is true for stuff like adding and multiplying envelopes etc.. that helps create a wider variety on the envelope front, and you can also do stuff like multiply the LFO's at max rate and get into Repro territory. Point being, if you don't dig down, you'll think some things aren't quite possible - which often are.

All these choices add to something greater than "just" the components would suggest - giving Diva the ability to mimic and (to varying degrees) continuing to make a large number of classic emulative subtractive synths somewhat irrelevant.
That's fine, but I miss for instance at least one more envelope, I use 3 or 4 envelopes all the time. Even a simple synth like Waves Element has three envelopes, Tal Mod as well, 4 even with the graphical mod envelope.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:26 pmThat's fine, but I miss for instance at least one more envelope, I use 3 or 4 envelopes all the time. Even a simple synth like Waves Element has three envelopes, Tal Mod as well, 4 even with the graphical mod envelope.
Diva can only partially answer that. IE you can use modifications to modify an envelope, then use that as the modulation source.. meaning you've still only got 2 envelopes, but modified envelopes are adding further sources which are different from those two (but obviously still limited by the ADSR settings of the chosen envelope(s).. )

Remember it's designed to mimic the structure of familiar subtractive synths, and get around those limitations with a choice of components and some smart design choices and some semi-modular under the-hood modification routing. Adding stuff like extra envelopes likely pushes it outside of the products goal for u-he, and more towards areas where other products (Zebra?) are supposed to cover things like "envelopes-aplenty" better.

That said, there's some weak spots. Notably distortion. A Roland chorus emulation (as good as the one on the Roland Cloud synths) would also be nice, and the DCO module doesn't quite cover all of the Juno 106. Thus you get ironic situations like Diva can emulate the Jupiter 8 better than the Juno 106 etc ;) Plus it'd certainly benefit from some of the Repro FX. :)

audiot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am Diva vs. Dune :?: That doesnt work for me :shrug:
Works for me so much that I traded away my DIVA license. :shrug:

The reason I mention Dune 3 so much is because it's my favorite synth and it doesn't matter who it's made by. If mentioning my favorite synth makes me a fanboy then I wear the badge with honor.

People ask for opinions and I give mine. Feel free to disagree. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

poopinpants wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 am I have tried a BUNCH of synths
try a different BUNCH

Just a side note - I love both Diva & Repro even though I'm still learning them, they're clearly ones of the most analogish vsts out there.

That said, do you agree that Diva can never get the "edge" of such analog synth as the Sub 37?

Like this guy said: viewtopic.php?t=495575&sid=886a39922ac7 ... 1c53550eb8

"Lots of the signature sound from the Sub37 comes from its MultiDrive circuit. If you listen closely you can hear that the signal is split at least into 2 bands. So I was able to reproduce similar sounds by using Diva (or Monark, as it comes a little closer to the rough sounds on the Sub37 imho) and FabFilter Saturn for Multiband Saturation."

"I'm asking Urs for 1-3 pole laddes, filter drive and proper Moog ADSR since forever.
Sub37 6-12db filter + moderate multidrive is really nice.
I guess we will get them one day, just not today."

"That would be great... I would love to create Sub 37 sound in Diva...
For the moment, apparently Rob Papen Bit could do the job"
Last edited by matteoluigiodaro on Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

///

uhe stuff sounds great, Urs is great (along with this minions) but I just die trying to program sounds on his synths....id love to get into them, but I'm just not a geek.... its a real shame, but the workflow kills me (and I'm old, I was programming synths in the early 80`s)

:shrug:

i dont ever argue the quality is there, but i struggle to get my own quality.....

One of the things that convinced to purchase Dune3 was the amount of reccomendations it kept receiving.
Perhaps there are too many Dune fanboys?
Every time I logged into Kvr I would often see the Dune advert right there in my face which eventually registered.
I dialed Dune3 into YouTube and started watching some of the reviews, it was then I realised just how bloody powerful it really was.
I am not a huge fan of Fm Synthesis but I really like how it's implemented into Dune3.
For the type of sounds I like Dune delivers, I did of course try the Uhe demos and in particular I liked Zebra but the Uhe stuff seems more directed towards oldskool. Too much oldskool is not good for me, I've been there and got the shellsuit to prove it.

Return to “Instruments”