Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

Second Skin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:56 pm One of the things that convinced to purchase Dune3 was the amount of reccomendations it kept receiving.
Perhaps there are too many Dune fanboys?
Not at all, just they are in every thread and have time to endlessly argue about everything all the time, same as Bitwig and other stuff that is popular on KVR and not that much in outside world.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:21 pm
audiot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:01 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm If I had to buy a synth with the latest, best sound quality, it would be Tal's Mod, whose features are much more in line with what I need, and its price is also much more affordable.
Really? I'm a big fan of TAL-Sampler and Bassline 101, but TAL-Mod never clicked with me. Please dont slap me, but am i the only one who finds TAL Mod a bit overrated? Maybe i havent spent enough time with it :?: I bought it without demoing :dog: but it's okay - i love TAL, so i see it as donation.
It sounds very good to me, although I don't like the user interface much. I prefer realistic ones to 2D.
I played around with TAL Mod for the last hour. The sound of the OSC's is relly good (present and assertive) and the filters are okay - not great but okay. What bothered me from the first moment, was the small MSEG editor. It's tabbed, so why not make a full page MSEG? A shame, because the curve editing feels extremly smooth. But i'll devinitly give TAL Mod a second chance :tu: Maybe i just expected to much when it was released ... for it's CPU usage it's a fine synth.

e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:52 pm If I had to buy a synth with the latest, best sound quality, it would be Tal's Mod, whose features are much more in line with what I need, and its price is also much more affordable.
Really? I'm a big fan of TAL-Sampler and Bassline 101, but TAL-Mod never clicked with me. Please dont slap me, but am i the only one who finds TAL Mod a bit overrated? Maybe i havent spent enough time with it :?: I bought it without demoing :dog: but it's okay - i love TAL, so i see it as donation.
I also can't get into Tal-Mod. Don't know why, I love uno and the 101, but never was blown away by Tal-Mod. I tried, as I love the touch interfaces and MPE but the sound just doesn't do anything for me.

AnX wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:53 pm uhe stuff sounds great, Urs is great (along with this minions) but I just die trying to program sounds on his synths....id love to get into them, but I'm just not a geek.... its a real shame, but the workflow kills me (and I'm old, I was programming synths in the early 80`s)

:shrug:

i dont ever argue the quality is there, but i struggle to get my own quality.....
Same here, it doesn't really invite me. The upper half of the GUI is ok, but the lower half with its million of tiny controls and displays not so much...
The detune knobs still don't select 5 and 7 semitones when using the mouse wheel. The display at the top shows values that sometimes make no sense, like for the LFO rate or envelope timings.
All the analog drift trimmers lack a useful random control like in OBsession so that you can set (and maybe even reset) them all within a second.
Last edited by e-crooner on Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:36 pm
audiot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:36 am Diva vs. Dune :?: That doesnt work for me :shrug:
Works for me so much that I traded away my DIVA license. :shrug:

The reason I mention Dune 3 so much is because it's my favorite synth and it doesn't matter who it's made by. If mentioning my favorite synth makes me a fanboy then I wear the badge with honor.

People ask for opinions and I give mine. Feel free to disagree. :tu:
Maybe i overreacted a bit, but Dune get's recommended extremly often. I'm a fanboy myself - my heart just beats for another team ... so :hug:

audiot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 pm
e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:21 pm
It sounds very good to me, although I don't like the user interface much. I prefer realistic ones to 2D.
I played around with TAL Mod for the last hour. The sound of the OSC's is relly good (present and assertive) and the filters are okay - not great but okay. What bothered me from the first moment, was the small MSEG editor. It's tabbed, so why not make a full page MSEG? A shame, because the curve editing feels extremly smooth. But i'll devinitly give TAL Mod a second chance :tu: Maybe i just expected to much when it was released ... for it's CPU usage it's a fine synth.
It's basically an upgraded Noisemaker with cables :hihi:

AnX wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:53 pm uhe stuff sounds great, Urs is great (along with this minions) but I just die trying to program sounds on his synths....id love to get into them, but I'm just not a geek.... its a real shame, but the workflow kills me (and I'm old, I was programming synths in the early 80`s)

i dont ever argue the quality is there, but i struggle to get my own quality.....
I like the way you refer to the Uhe fanboys as minions :D
Sounds like they are little gatekeeper trolls guarding the uhe empire lol.
If you were programming Synths in the 80's you surely couldn't have missed the Dx series with their tiny little lcd displays, anything has got to be beeter than that.

The workflow kills me too, I'm too slow to build a proper sound with it, and I don't always understand the logic behind every feature.

I'd like to recreate a more analogish sound like the Sub 37 and fail - it's probably me, I will have to go back to hardware it seems it's much faster and sits better in my tracks.

Second Skin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:24 pm

I like the way you refer to the Uhe fanboys as minions :D
i didn't, read it again :wink:

(i was referring to his employees, prob in too much of a derogatory term, it's was meant affectionatly)

AnX wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

(i was referring to his employees, prob in too much of a derogatory term, it's was meant affectionatly)
Of course after reading it again I can see you were refering to just employees. My bad.
I wouldn't say it was meant as derogatory, I can clearly see the affection you have towards the Uhe team.
:D

Super 8?
Sounds and presets for UVI Falcon "Iterata X".
Bazille soundset - Crystalline Textures 3.

audiot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:18 pm Maybe i overreacted a bit, but Dune get's recommended extremly often. I'm a fanboy myself - my heart just beats for another team ... so :hug:
There must be a reason Dune 3 gets recommended a lot. I love it and recommend it for that reason and that reason only. :shrug:
Passing Bye wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:02 pm Not at all, just they are in every thread and have time to endlessly argue about everything all the time, same as Bitwig and other stuff that is popular on KVR and not that much in outside world
I don't know if you're referring to me but I'm not "arguing" anything here. I guess you don't get involved in many discussions "in the outside world". Plenty of political or religious arguments to be had in Pub or in person. Go on a Fender forum and start talking smack about Stratocasters or talking up Les Pauls and the results will be the same. Fans are not confined to KVR. :wink:

Again the question posed by the OP in this thread is "Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020" ?

My opinion is yes Dune 3 can (among others). If you disagree that's fine but I don't think we're "arguing" about anything here.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

double post please delete
Last edited by stillshaded on Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PAK wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:49 pm That said, there's some weak spots. Notably distortion. A Roland chorus emulation (as good as the one on the Roland Cloud synths) would also be nice, and the DCO module doesn't quite cover all of the Juno 106. Thus you get ironic situations like Diva can emulate the Jupiter 8 better than the Juno 106 etc ;)
It's worth noting that the oscillator section is modeled after the alpha juno, which is a completely different sounding synth from the 106. I know because I own both lol.

Second Skin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:12 pm
AnX wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:56 pm

Of course after reading it again I can see you were refering to just employees. My bad.
I wouldn't say it was meant as derogatory, I can clearly see the affection you have towards the Uhe team.
:D
they are amazingly, but its something I don't click with....

Return to “Instruments”