Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 am UPgraded noisemaker , Not really .
The audio rate modulation and quality in Talmod is excellent , the filters are excellent etc..with a distinct Roland vibe to ti
The overdrive charasteric and the filter sounds 99% like the system 8 ( just try it out ) .
I am convinced that most people don't even know what a decent analogue modelled filter sounds like
Talmod does it with flying colours .
The filter sounds okay but the saturation is to tame for my taste. There are a lot of filters that are much more flexible (with FM f.e. or more agressive drive characteristics). I personally dont care if it sounds like a Ronald :wink: But filters are always a highly subjective topic.

AnX wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:11 amevidence?
You could simply do forum searches and compare the number of hits here and on another large forum such as Gearslutz. I think that's a pretty common technique to figure out popularity of plug-ins in different communities.

You could of course then deduct that Gearslutz is super "pro u-he", but then that would probably destroy the argument some people make that I somehow "own" KVR.

(or maybe I should just stop posting and u-he might become as popular on KVR as they already are elsewhere)

BONES wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:03 am Because it's good enough to deserve mention? The OP asked a question and it's hard to answer it honestly without giving DUNE a big rap. Even though I don't particularly like DUNE and almost never use it, you can't deny that it sounds absolutely amazing and, unlike the u-he synths, uses bugger-all CPU to achieve it.
I have the CM version of Dune 1 ... it's nice, but never made me want to look at the successors :shrug: Maybe i'll check out Dune 4, if they do some significant improvements to the UI, but at the moment i'm completly satisfied with my setup.

audiot wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:05 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:41 am UPgraded noisemaker , Not really .
The audio rate modulation and quality in Talmod is excellent , the filters are excellent etc..with a distinct Roland vibe to ti
The overdrive charasteric and the filter sounds 99% like the system 8 ( just try it out ) .
I am convinced that most people don't even know what a decent analogue modelled filter sounds like
The filter sounds okay but the saturation is to tame for my taste. There are a lot of filters that are much more flexible (with FM f.e. or more agressive drive characteristics). I personally dont care if it sounds like a Ronald :wink: But filters are always a highly subjective topic.
TAL's synths are nice, but, being mostly based on Roland synths (TAL-MOD sounds similar as well), the envelopes are quite slow on their synths. I prefer synths with more snappy ones.

Urs wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:07 am
AnX wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:11 amevidence?
You could simply do forum searches and compare the number of hits here and on another large forum such as Gearslutz. I think that's a pretty common technique to figure out popularity of plug-ins in different communities.
still the internet, not the outside world

i imagine the majority of stuff is just as popular in the "real world" (most ppl I know use stuff that is popular on the www)

That is exactly how certain filters sound when overdriven , see my post about people don't even know how an overdriven analogue filter sounds , the resonance peaks will be attenuated .
It is NOT post filter distortion
Check cytomic the drop and overdrive the filter , you will notice the exact same behaviour and this goes for all good filter emulations that incorporate overdrive
And TAlmod filters do excellent filter FM , sadly only from 2 audio sources (subosc and Noise )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Nobody should be comparing Repro 1/5 to anything but the Pro One / Rev 3 Prophet 5. They are extremely accurate emulations of those synths, as close as you can get ITB.
BONES wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:48 am
poopinpants wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 amBut can any other synths out there on the same level as DIVA? Or Repro 5? I want to hear them!!
Well, first of all I think RePro 1 sounds better than RePro 5, so that's one. Then there is bx_oberhausen, which sounds better again and is a whole lot easier to work with.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:32 am
TAL's synths are nice, but, being mostly based on Roland synths (TAL-MOD sounds similar as well), the envelopes are quite slow on their synths. I prefer synths with more snappy ones.
Slow envelopes ?
TAll bassline snaps like an sh101 should snap , and the envelope stages in talmod all have a separate parameterr that goes from exp-lin-log
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:55 am
That is exactly how certain filters sound when overdriven , see my post about people don't even know how an overdriven analogue filter sounds , the resonance peaks will be attenuated .
It is NOT post filter distortion
Check cytomic the drop and overdrive the filter , you will notice the exact same behaviour and this goes for all good filter emulations that incorporate overdrive
And TAlmod filters do excellent filter FM , sadly only from 2 audio sources (subosc and Noise )
Thanks for your explanation! I'm not a guy who's into technical details and i dont care about authenticity, i just turn knobs and sliders :D Thanks for the hint with the filter FM :tu: I should have a look into the manual :scared:

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:04 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:32 am
Slow envelopes ?
TAll bassline snaps like an sh101 should snap , and the envelope stages in talmod all have a separate parameterr that goes from exp-lin-log
I didn't try Bassline-101 (I don't really like the original), but, the envelopes in Noisemaker and U-NO-LX are indeed slow.

TAL Mod has great envelopes, and I love the oscillator → filter topology.

Softube modular sounds amazing, but is very unpopular. Personally, the workflow could be much better and there are more VCV modules, but sound wise, it sounds amazing.

Arturia Buchla also sounds very good to my sears.

As far as analog modeling, together with Diva and Repro, those are the “hi-fi” synths that I use. I have yet to even check out the Synapse synths, still leveraging my OB and vintage analog presets for Diva.

If I step away from analog modeling, I would also include Massive X.

TheSynthScientist wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:35 am Well, some of them can compete.
:D

Surprisingly still available at https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/un ... vol_2.html
Even in 64bit. Granted, cannot really compete sound wise, just in being the first and now oldest VSTi ;)

electro wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:00 pm Nobody should be comparing Repro 1/5 to anything but the Pro One / Rev 3 Prophet 5. They are extremely accurate emulations of those synths, as close as you can get ITB.
you totally missed the point

You're supposed to compare Repro to a hardware prophet and bx_Oberhausen to a hardware SEM, not to each other. What point did I miss?
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

You're all comparing Apples with Oranges. Tal-Mod doesn't wear Pink Pantys and Divas think they'd be better anyway.

The Neon was also marketed as analog modeled btw. As WE know today they had mainly modelled the OSC Drift and probably just not seen/heard the Rest yet.

Return to “Instruments”