2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

foosnark wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:14 am Nice, I really love RML's aesthetics.
I love the look of their custom stuff. I got to choose my VU meter and the color of the stain. I think it came out really nicely. I love the sound too. The palette leans toward heavy, dense and unstable, which will contrast nicely alongside harsher sounding things.
I'm talking to him about building me a dual Electron Fuzz in a 19" rack with balanced I/O. Mastering through 1000x gain sounds like a reasonable thing to do in these chaotic times.

:o
awesome!

This year I added some new modules to my modular setup, a Korg Arp 2600 and my best purchase in years ... Sequential Pro 3.
I normally don't like modern synths outside of modular and especially dislike the sound of most DSI/Sequential synths, but Pro 3 totally surprised me in sound AND functionality.

christian f. wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:29 pm This year I added some new modules to my modular setup, a Korg Arp 2600 and my best purchase in years ... Sequential Pro 3.
I normally don't like modern synths outside of modular and especially dislike the sound of most DSI/Sequential synths, but Pro 3 totally surprised me in sound AND functionality.
Congrats on that Karp 2600, no doubt, that was a hard one to get. The Pro 3 is awesome as well imho,
and continues to get even better with updates. The sequential guys are a class act I think. :tu:

... been tidying up the visual continuity a bit. Qu-bit(ish), to be more precise.
Untitled4.png
Untitled1.png
Untitled.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled6.png
Untitled5.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Well the price was going up I guess, so I had to throw down. Likely my last big ticket purchase for
a while. Definitely a luxury item, no doubt most would be happy with a roland or behri unit
for 1/3 the cost.

https://www.islainstruments.com/product/s2400/

pekbro wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:38 pm Well the price was going up I guess, so I had to throw down. Likely my last big ticket purchase for
a while. Definitely a luxury item, no doubt most would be happy with a roland or behri unit
for 1/3 the cost.

https://www.islainstruments.com/product/s2400/

I love the aesthetics of it. I'm sure it sounds great too.

Also, I've been missing concentric controls lately. They seem more common in vintage gear. They're a great way to squeeze two controls into the panel space normally occupied by one, without cramping the control panel layout. :)
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

pekbro wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:07 pm Congrats on that Karp 2600, no doubt, that was a hard one to get. The Pro 3 is awesome as well imho,
and continues to get even better with updates. The sequential guys are a class act I think. :tu:
Thank you ! The Karp was surprisingly better than expected too, it's the first re-issue that I prefer over an original vintage, but the Pro 3 is just insane :love: Props to Sequential !

The Karp 2600 is such a beautiful synth. So satisfying to play and just chock full of sweet spots. I'm not much of a vintage synth guy but the 2600 was always a dream of mine. I loved the 2600V soft-synth, so I couldn't pass up the chance to own a real one. Zero regrets.

My coworker brought his Pro-3 to my studio a few weeks ago and I was totally blown away. I was really close to buying one but I just don't have the space for it. It would have to replace my MiniBrute, which I don't plan to do. Maybe if I end up getting a PolyBrute...
The filter FM on the Pro3 is so brutal when using oscillator 3 as the modulator. Detune Osc3 against the Oscs running through the filter and it gets so heavy. I love that all of the oscillators are sources in the Mod Matrix. The way modulation is handled reminds me a lot of the Quantum, very intuitive. And of course there are all the feedback routing options. I've owned 3 or 4 Evolvers and each time I regret selling them when I can't recreate my favorite feedback patches. Pro3 does all those tricks and more.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:23 pm ... been tidying up the visual continuity a bit. Qu-bit(ish), to be more precise.
Are you getting those printed or is that a product?

justin3am wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:29 am The Karp 2600 is such a beautiful synth. So satisfying to play and just chock full of sweet spots. I'm not much of a vintage synth guy but the 2600 was always a dream of mine. I loved the 2600V soft-synth, so I couldn't pass up the chance to own a real one. Zero regrets.
Yeah it's a true beauty ! It's kind of surreal to play a 2600 in such a good condition and to hear the authentic sounds generated with "fresh" components giving a more modern sound.
Normally I would always prefer the vintage / OG .
justin3am wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:29 am My coworker brought his Pro-3 to my studio a few weeks ago and I was totally blown away. I was really close to buying one but I just don't have the space for it. It would have to replace my MiniBrute, which I don't plan to do. Maybe if I end up getting a PolyBrute...
The filter FM on the Pro3 is so brutal when using oscillator 3 as the modulator. Detune Osc3 against the Oscs running through the filter and it gets so heavy. I love that all of the oscillators are sources in the Mod Matrix. The way modulation is handled reminds me a lot of the Quantum, very intuitive. And of course there are all the feedback routing options. I've owned 3 or 4 Evolvers and each time I regret selling them when I can't recreate my favorite feedback patches. Pro3 does all those tricks and more.
I have a lot of cool synths , but if I could only keep one it would be the Pro3 without any doubt.
It's a crazy deep modular system in keyboard format with a lot of connectivity and best of all it sounds fresh ! It sucks at making vintage type of sounds (IMHO), but many new sonic territories to discover.
(K)arp 2600 is pretty boring compared to a pro3 :)

I'm having some xtra cash next month, so I thought I'd finally buy myself a new mixer :hyper:

imrae wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:13 am
Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:23 pm ... been tidying up the visual continuity a bit. Qu-bit(ish), to be more precise.
Are you getting those printed or is that a product?
These are made by Grayscale. I was planning on printing my own, and had done some preliminary layout/art work fitting that 'Qu-bit' theme, but while 'kit' shopping I found/noticed several of these, which are 'close-enough' to what I was going for. At $15-$25 each, it was more cost/time effective for me, to just buy them.

https://grayscale.info/panels/
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Bought a brand new TD-3 on Amazon for £103. Next month now our work pay dispute has been settled and a pay rise backdated to April I can eye up a drum machine to pair with it. Don’t want to go too OTT as I’ll still do most stuff in the box, but I don’t fancy an RD-6 and the RD-8 is too big so wondering about either a Drumbrute Impact or maybe an Elektron Model:Samples. Anyone got any recommendations up to £300?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:07 am Bought a brand new TD-3 on Amazon for £103. Next month now our work pay dispute has been settled and a pay rise backdated to April I can eye up a drum machine to pair with it. Don’t want to go too OTT as I’ll still do most stuff in the box, but I don’t fancy an RD-6 and the RD-8 is too big so wondering about either a Drumbrute Impact or maybe an Elektron Model:Samples. Anyone got any recommendations up to £300?
Maybe the MFB 501 Pro if you want something less ordinary...
https://schneidersladen.de/en/mfb-501-pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POvOwO3kf5E

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”