Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

BONES wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:03 am
e-crooner wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:26 pmThat's fine, but I miss for instance at least one more envelope, I use 3 or 4 envelopes all the time.
I often use just the one. K-I-S-S all the way if you want good results. The more complicated you make things, the more you paint yourself into corners.
What's K-I-S-S? 8)
Nor do I know what you mean by your last sentence. I consider myself a sound designer. As a sound designer I can't live with 1 or 2 envelopes. Additional envelopes can make a big difference.

I assume Bones means Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Last edited by russmade on Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russmade wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:40 pm I assume Crooner means Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Ah, ok, that would make sense.

But that is certainly not my motto, to the contrary. I mean, the final patch does not need to sound complicated at all, but more refined and unique.

electro wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:00 pm Nobody should be comparing Repro 1/5 to anything but the Pro One / Rev 3 Prophet 5. They are extremely accurate emulations of those synths, as close as you can get ITB.
Who gives a flying f**k about how accurate an emulation it is of a synth from 40 years ago that I never owned or have any connection to? It's 2020, I want a synth that sounds good just because it sounds good and, in some of the testing I've done, RePro 5 hasn't performed very well at all against that simple criteria.
e-crooner wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:34 pmWhat's K-I-S-S? 8)
Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Nor do I know what you mean by your last sentence. I consider myself a sound designer. As a sound designer I can't live with 1 or 2 envelopes. Additional envelopes can make a big difference.
I consider sound design to be about 5% of what I do as an artist. It's a skill anyone working with synthesisers or in a studio has to have if they want to do good work. It's not something I see as a valid standalone trade. If you're a good sound designer, you should be able to coax great sounds out of anything and working with a more limited set of tools would be the ultimate challenge, wouldn't it? I certainly couldn't create our wall of sound from 4 or 5 instruments if I wasn't a competent sound designer.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

e-crooner wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:54 pm
russmade wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:40 pm I assume Crooner means Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Ah, ok, that would make sense.

But that is certainly not my motto, to the contrary. I mean, the final patch does not need to sound complicated at all, but more refined and unique.
That"s why we hear so many Farts these Days. They are always "unique".

And on the other Hand many People still like the M1 Piano and we're all frequently chasing for certain Sounds from certain Synths (and maybe don't even know it).

But KISS is great. Straight, balanced Pads!

It improved on this concept by developing KISSASS: keep it sound, simple and sovereign, sirs.

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:48 am
poopinpants wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:41 amBut can any other synths out there on the same level as DIVA? Or Repro 5? I want to hear them!!
Well, first of all I think RePro 1 sounds better than RePro 5, so that's one. Then there is bx_oberhausen, which sounds better again and is a whole lot easier to work with. I think DUNE probably sounds better, too, and is capable of doing so much more than Diva or RePro 5, all while putting about one-quarter of the strain on your CPU. I'd also suggest that both The Legend and Obsession do at least as good a job for lower CPU, too.

I think a lot of it possibly comes down to presets - emulations are going to put a lot more emphasis on the sounds that people interested in emulations are most likely to be impressed by, where a synth like DUNE concentrates on more modern sounds in its patch banks. But if you want to get that old-school sound, DUNE or Hive or Pigments are all going to be able to accommodate you. It's just that you'll have to do the work yourself.
lol imagine believing bx_oberhausen sounds better than... anything

:clown:

AnX wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:01 pm and what do diva and repro emulate?
Diva:
https://larslentzaudio.wordpress.com/20 ... nthesizer/

Repro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFA_B6pP9AA

The answer is simple, yes.

GRUMP wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:56 pm ... here a link to a German Discussion with a quiet critical Majority https://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/th ... zen.93292/
I don't feel like they're discussing Diva much. They're mostly discussing hardware vs. software.

And of course some post mandatory Youtube demos of analogue synths with a lot of delay and reverb. And then they can't come close with the software :clap:

Ploki wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:13 am
AnX wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:01 pm and what do diva and repro emulate?
words
it was a rhetorical question....

and as far as DIVA is concerned .. there was recently a thread about it, which the creator unfortunately sabotaged himself
naughty boy Urs :hihi:

Thinking about it would be like carrying owls to Athens, I think.
WTF does that mean?

AnX wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:31 am
and as far as DIVA is concerned .. there was recently a thread about it, which the creator unfortunately sabotaged himself
naughty boy Urs :hihi:
The topic creator on Sequencer.de was meant though.

Return to “Instruments”