STL amphub

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!
Anyone tried the STL/Ignite Amphub? I find it very interesting. I just had to give the trial a swing when I saw it had a Brownface Fender Deluxe emu, and that brownie sounded really good! I had to use a Two Notes cab for it, because none of the cabs in the amphub was a good match for that amp to my ears.
But that brownie even made my tele sound super fat with overdrive, and my strat and LP sounded great with it too.
I have not had much time with it, but I also like the JTM45 and the Superlead 100, and the AC30 seems OK, but I am not sure about the cab options, at least for the Vox.
One thing I really miss: A realistic emu of the trem in the brownie and the AC. The trem in the real amps is such a big part of their sound, so I think it should be modelled here to.
All in all, I think I'll end up with a subscription. There will surely be more goodies to come, and even if Amphubs Hi-gainers is not for me, I trust that there will be enough vintage and lo/medium gain amps and other stuff that makes it worthwhile.
What do you think?

Not a fan of the subscription model. I have a few neural dsp and mercuriall plugins, (oh and Tourmafrost from Vadim Taranov, that is killer! ) so I don't feel the need to subscribe for amp models.

*Updated post: I have bought the Framus Cobra and the SLO models, I really enjoy them. And you can use external IRs now, which wasn't possible at release.
Last edited by lajosuti on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah.......NO -10. No way.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I had a freebie from them when they were a newer kid on the block, which was great. It was a high gain with a lot of definition. It's no longer free and they do not provide a way to re-up it, I'm a bit put off by their business model. I don't have the kind of need for amp sims I did anyway.

FYI the subscription model is not the only option, you can buy each model separately and build your own rig. You just need the Player plug-in which comes with 1 dual channel amp, some stomp boxes, plenty of cabs and effects.
When you buy the Player, you can get 1 amp of your choice for free, so for the cost of an amp model, you get a flexible platform you can expand over time as you prefer.

An internal IR loader is planned, we're working on integrating it without sacrificing the variable poweramp/cabinet impedance interaction, which is a bit tricky but doable. You can still bypass the cab section (and every other section), anyway.

Also note that the Emissary and Tyrant Screamer that come with the Player are not the same as the free versions, they've been completely re-coded using Ignite Amps latest technology, as all the other models in AmpHub.
jancivil wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:24 am I had a freebie from them when they were a newer kid on the block, which was great. It was a high gain with a lot of definition. It's no longer free and they do not provide a way to re-up it, I'm a bit put off by their business model. I don't have the kind of need for amp sims I did anyway.
Not sure what plug-in you're talking about, as all the Ignite Amps freebies are still available (and still free), unless you're talking about older/outdated product which have been replaced by a newer/improved version.

I couldn't find on the website what they charge for extra amp models once you have the Player, so no way to work out total cost of ownership?

No interest in subscriptions.

imrae wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:24 pm I couldn't find on the website what they charge for extra amp models once you have the Player, so no way to work out total cost of ownership?

https://www.stltones.com/collections/am ... ual-models

Wild Hades wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:31 pm
imrae wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:24 pm I couldn't find on the website what they charge for extra amp models once you have the Player, so no way to work out total cost of ownership?

https://www.stltones.com/collections/am ... ual-models
Ah, cheers! Yup, that looks way too expensive. Will keep waiting for the new Thermionik I guess.

what's the difference between amp hub and tone hub? anyways no to subscriptions from me.

Tone hub are packs made by producers/artists that are based on their best presets that they are sharing.

They are meant to meant mirror entire signal chains that could include just the amp and cab to overdrive pedal + amp + cab + preamps used to record. Accordingly, STL uses proprietary technology that they call "tracing" that is akin to Kemper's profiling or Nebula's sampling. As far as accuracy, your mileage may vary but I personally rate Nebula as the closest, Kemper second, and STL third in terms of realism, depth of sound, and dynamics.

Tonehub packs are very expensive for what they are but if your favorite artist or producer has a preset that you just have to have it can get you some of thr way there and you of course can reshape with eq.

The Amp Hub is an entirely different beast and you have a lot more control over the tone preamp sections as well as visual representation of the amp head or combo. If you commit to their subscription model for $10/month, they offer the promise of additional amps, cabs, and effects over time at no additional cost.

I noticed that there was no reference to "Tracing" for the Amp Hub so I presume that they are physically modeled amp sims just like any other algorithmic amp since.

I apologize, I finally found the downloads. I didn't quit it easily before, I must be blind

Hi Wild_Hades, I've demoed Amphub and one thing that stood out to me is that it seems there is some kind of lag/smoothing between turning the knobs and actually hearing the change? It's kind of weird and off-putting and not what I'm used to from Ignite Amps' fantastic offerings :phones:

Hello,
I tried it and I was mostly curious about the Mesa amp.

It did sound good to me but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about it especially compared with others like the BX megadual, the Nembrini Cali Dual and the ones in TH-U / Amplitube if you have any of these.

Thanks

I went to their site in Black Friday week, interested in Tonehub, for its Kemper like qualities.

I ended up buying Amphub, with the AC 30 pack. Since it was half price it was $24.99 for both together. Of the many AC 30 emulations I have, it is my favourite. You can now add your own (as of November or December update) IRs to it, which I think will help further.

One annoyance, is the AC30 does not have the trem section, whereas the Tonality version does.

For me, I use a lot of clean tones, so looking at tone hub, it does seem like a lot of the packs have maybe two or three clean patches and a load of heavier / lead sounds, which to me makes those packs very expensive, when I'm unlikely to use 90% of the presets.

I don't like subscriptions, so that was a no go. (unless it is pay to own).

It is early days for Amphub. At the moment, most of the add on effects are overdrives and distortions, which I'm not interested and other than the Brownface amp, I'm not interested in the other amps. So subscribing, seems a waste of money for me.

I will probably get the Brownface next time there is a sale.

The built in effects to Amphub are a mixed bag. Weirdly, I quite like the one overdrive pedal.
The chorus I don't like at all. The delay and reverb I do. The flanger and phaser are pretty good. The compressor and EQ do what they need to do.

So I'm happy with the purchase so far, though I can't see me buying a ton of other amps (I mostly use S-gear and plan to continue). Now interesting (non od, fuzz, dist) pedals, I might be interested in!!!

Edit: Actually, the worst bit about STLTones, is the website, there is a lack of audio examples for any of their products. Why would you buy an audio effect without hearing it first? I had to resort to Youtube to find examples.

FREE iLok License Manager and iLok account needed.
Unfortunately, this makes it a "no" for me. It's a pity because their 5150 model sounds really nice.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Return to “Effects”