Have Modern VST Instruments Replaced Your Hardware Synths ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:54 pm Just trying to raise the collective IQ at KVR a few points by stopping these pointless discussions.
you are the literal definition of insanity.
repeating the same action and expecting different results.

wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:30 pm And as far as your average listener preferring the sound of hardware over software, I'm waiting for somebody to show me a demonstrative poll that reflects this if these people, listening on their frickin smart phones, can even tell the difference
I think this nailed it. The only people who care about some perceived minor difference in timbral quality between a soft synth and hardware are home studio producers. That's it.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:12 pm
With the ability to just turn on a keyboard and press record in your daw without worrying about any issues with Midi, that is more desirable than fiddling with software trying to get a good sound.
I am fully with you here as I rarely use midi, too much faffing about for me, just fire up a keyboard, play, print to audio, job done.

This always assumes of course that the person is able to play a keyboard well enough to do this, or guitar - or whatever. I like music to have a loose real time feel

Oh, but we have to remember that a a lot of KVR members are into EDM and electronica and techno or whatever, which requires robotic timing which only midi and step recording can give.
Last edited by dellboy on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:24 pm
wagtunes wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:30 pm And as far as your average listener preferring the sound of hardware over software, I'm waiting for somebody to show me a demonstrative poll that reflects this if these people, listening on their frickin smart phones, can even tell the difference
I think this nailed it. The only people who care about some perceived minor difference in timbral quality between a soft synth and hardware are home studio producers. That's it.
yup. not a single established muso still uses hardware.
rick wakeman, even live, all them kbs are cardboard :x cheater!!!
same with guitars and drums n shit, you nay watch a "live band". its all milli vanillid to some guy in the back with a controller :o

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 pm

I went to see Rick Wakeman live back in the 90s expecting him to turn up with a lorry load of synths.

It was just him and a Korg T2 or T3 with a weighted keybed - and a bass player !

Still a good evening though.
Last edited by dellboy on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoftSynthLover99 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:12 pm
I know and work with a lot of those big names...
same here

vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:54 pm Just trying to raise the collective IQ at KVR a few points by stopping these pointless discussions.
Yep call me crazy. Thinking that I could get people to stop these pointless discussions that have absolutely no hope of resolution. I believe you said pretty much the same thing in this very thread.

Has anyone ever changed their stance based on what is posted in one of these threads ? No ? I didn't think so. These threads are simply breeding grounds for endless arguments.

Tell you what let's you and I go and use our synths. We'll let the kids keep talking about them. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

dellboy wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:36 pm

I went to see Rick Wakeman live back in the 90s expecting him to turn up with a lorry load of synths.

It was just him and a Korg T2 or T3 with a weighted keybed - and a bass player !

Still a good evening though.
ah, that was pre laptop. :)

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:21 pm
Yep call me crazy. Thinking that I could get people to stop these pointless discussions that have absolutely no hope of resolution. I believe you said pretty much the same thing in this very thread.

Has anyone ever changed their stance based on what is posted in one of these threads ? No ? I didn't think so. These threads are simply breeding grounds for endless arguments.

nope, as i asked earlier, has anyone changed their opinion :hihi:

i just gave up trying to stop other people trying to change opinions.
still amuses me watching people argue over what other people use. like it has any effect on them?

like theres even an answer :shrug:
by all means have your individual experience and opinion, but thats all its ever going to be.

yeah, im going up after ive eaten :tu:

same with guitars and drums n shit, you nay watch a "live band". its all milli vanillid to some guy in the back with a controller :o
I think you missed my point, most established musicians don't care either way. They might have a room filled with hardware we all dream about, and their next record could be all soft synths, visa versa as well. I have a Memorymoog, Linntronics modded. It's a classic synth, with a huge sound, I do not feel compelled to use it in every song I do because it has magic pixie dust. It's a fairly specific timbral range, desert island you get only one synth wise, I would choose Falcon over it any day of the week.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:40 pm
I think you missed my point, most established musicians don't care either way. They might have a room filled with hardware we all dream about, and their next record could be all soft synths, visa versa as well. I have a Memorymoog, Linntronics modded. It's a classic synth, with a huge sound, I do not feel compelled to use it in every song I do because it has magic pixie dust. It's a fairly specific timbral range, desert island you get only one synth wise, I would choose Falcon over it any day of the week.
my point was i dont think you can point and say "only that group thinks this" as on both sides, most musicians will choose what they need in a given moment and have the available funds for.
most dont have a dogma pitting one against the other.

èven here, look over the years at all the hard vs soft threads, its the same people :lol:

Not synths , but sampler and drum sample VSTi sure beats hiring a drummer and having to set a drumset up and mics etc etc etc ...

Teksonik wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:38 pm Yep call me crazy. Thinking that I could get people to stop these pointless discussions that have absolutely no hope of resolution. :tu:
Who said that there was any sort of resolution to be gained ? The thread is about learning how others have approached the process in producing their music as music production technology has evolved and how it's affected them personally and that's what the vast number of people on this forum have delivered and at length. Clearly by the post count and viewing figures in the past week and half, it's gained a lot of interest and enjoyment for people that have contributed or otherwise read in their leisure time.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

This might even rival the infamous studio one thread :lol:
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I'm just gonna chime in to say..

No... Hardware still sounds better.. And that's all there is to it :hihi: :D

Tried so many times to go all software. I love software for digital things. But, to my ears, it still can't get the sound of something simple like a 106 with it's chorus on it. Too many anomolies. They ain't there yet but I reckon they will be in another 10 years or so.

Still love softsynths for wavetable, additive, and fm stuff though.

Return to “Instruments”