XSRDO Analogy Official Release

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kirsty roland wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:54 pmNew ideas are always appreciated. I think you can do most of this already with existing modules .
To have a MIDI CC control a voltage use the Midi learn function on a Volt Output Modules Knob.
(for note number use a MIDI CV to key zone module)
Send output to a clipper for upper/lower limits.
The CV curve could be changed with a waveshaper. I can make some more of these in future and for
more outputs send the result through a patchbay.
It might seem a bit convoluted but that's the beauty of modular synthesis.

Kirsty :)
This is matter of hitting the right balance. My personal view, which doesn't need to mach yours, would be to aim for minimizing decision fatigue and cognitive load, so the brainpower and time can be spent on the really creative parts of sound design.

Let's take the velocity example. Normally you'd take velocity to a multiplier and an adsr, but I can't come up with a case I have found where I could use it directly, the low velocities were too quiet. You usually want 2-3dB and a curved response on this case, not 21dB.

So you have to always go the scaling + waveshaping route for each parameter. It is a thing happening 90% of the time.

Now let's suppose you want a patch responding to velocity, keytracking, aftertouch and pressure (e.g. PM osc) . All of a sudden you ended up with 12 modules + cabling. It gets discouraging.

You can have a preset as a starting point, but you can't add it to a patch already started. It doesn't make the patch more pleasing/easy to undestand either and it increases brutally the chances that you'll end up scrolling.

So as I said, it' a balance thing. Having an excessive set of modules and features kills creativity as much as having to do excessive wirings for very common operations. The reason is the same though, losing focus on what you were doing.

BTW, i didn't think about controlling a voltage knob with a midi cc. Nice.

kirsty roland wrote:That's doable. It would require keeping a list of changes in memory. Cables and modules would be easy as they are just ints, but what about knobs? Every knob movement is a 32bit float. The resulting undo file could get massive very quickly.
Let' s assume a pretty big patch, 100knobs = 400bytes. Let's assume 500bytes for each state. With 1MB, which is nothing for a PC this buys 2000 undo states. The only problem I see is cache misses if done from the audio thread, but you wouldn't do that :)
kirsty roland wrote: I don't like that. It would be to easy to loose the cable connections to other modules by accident.
Undo :)
kirsty roland wrote:I think it's better to purposely remove a cable to avoid accidentally deleting a previous connection.

Undo :)
kirsty roland wrote:Also, I have working prototype code to have more than one cable connected to the same Input/Output.

Having multiple cables from the same connector is a thing that I thought and I didn't even suggested because I thought that you were trying to emulate how you patch a real modular. It would be a massive improvement. I don't like patchbays. I'd only use them to remove clutter if this feature was available. Nice to hear!
Last edited by rafa1981 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

About the bug. Did "expressive-pluck.zip" load fine for you?

At my screen resolution the PM oscillator went out of screen yesterday and I can't bring it back.

Today instead of being outside the panel, it seems like it is overlapping.

Reaper 6.12. Win 10.

I attach a screenshot. Notice the upper left corner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duplicate.
Last edited by rafa1981 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And last. Why only a single instance of Analogy allowed. Or of the chorus/phaser/reverb modules?

Hi Rafa

I've added an undo option to the edit menu. It's 256 levels deep with a first in last out hierarchy so you can undo your last 256 edits ad infinitum.

There is now an option on the Options menu to draw thinner cables.

The expressive-pluck.zip is faulty for me also. It's an old bug that I thought I'd squashed a while ago. I will look into it again.
rafa1981 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:35 pm And last. Why only a single instance of Analogy allowed. Or of the chorus/phaser/reverb modules?
Chorus/Phaser/Reverb etc are limited to one instance because it saves CPU and I found chaining many similar effects together just made the sound very thick, muddy or dull.

The Analogy plugin is currently limited to one single instance because I'm working on another project in
tandem which shares a lot of the same code but doesn't need multiple instances of the DSP base class.

The modifications will be available in the next update and I will look at your other suggestions when I get time.

Cool! I thougtht that the undo\redo could be trickier to implement.

Look at the things that make sense to you and feel free to brutally ignore whatever it doesn't resonate with your vision of Analogy.

I thought about one thing. If you allow multiple cables to the same output and input, then you might want to remove a cable that has more than one cable plugged in on both sides.

On Bazille you can draw as many cables as you want from module outputs, but inputs are single cable/require (scarce) patchbays. Maybe they did so for this reason?

Incremental Update v0.998.5

Hi guys, I would appreciate your comments/suggestions on the following...

1. Added Undo, Redo and Restore to main menu.
Can set a restore point for any of the last 128 edits applied to Parameters, cables and modules.

2. Added option for Normal, Thin or Wire cable sizes.

3. Added input plug cloning that can be applied to any module.
Connect multiple outputs into one input.
Input plugs can have upto 16 outputs connected to them.
Note: Only M199 has this enabled for now as it is still a work in progress.
To try it out enable Options->Dev Mode then insert an 'M199 Test Module Clone Inputs' and Right click on [IN x4].

http://xsrdo.blogspot.com/

Thanks kirsty. I'll give it a spin tonight. You are really doing an awesome job with this. :tu:

Everything is working fine for me. The multi-input is a little awkward on a laptop because I have to hold down the right button and the left button at the same time as stroking the touch pad to move the cable. It's ok over short distances but it's not easy over long ones. Maybe the sockets can stay open until right-clicked a second time or something similar?

hey
i'm having trouble setting folder permissions
to what am i allowing read and write access to the vst folder?
dave

Erisian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:53 pm Everything is working fine for me. The multi-input is a little awkward on a laptop because I have to hold down the right button and the left button at the same time as stroking the touch pad to move the cable. It's ok over short distances but it's not easy over long ones. Maybe the sockets can stay open until right-clicked a second time or something similar?
Laptop buttons and touch pad. I never considered that. :dog:
I'll see if I can get the operation down to one button and/or maybe make the connection automatically
when the mouse is over the cloned input. Hmm, that just might work :idea:

Thanks for the insight

kirsty roland wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:22 pm
Erisian wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:53 pm Everything is working fine for me. The multi-input is a little awkward on a laptop because I have to hold down the right button and the left button at the same time as stroking the touch pad to move the cable. It's ok over short distances but it's not easy over long ones. Maybe the sockets can stay open until right-clicked a second time or something similar?
Laptop buttons and touch pad. I never considered that. :dog:
I'll see if I can get the operation down to one button and/or maybe make the connection automatically
when the mouse is over the cloned input. Hmm, that just might work :idea:

Thanks for the insight
You're welcome. Sorry to be such a pain! :oops:

Return to “Modular Synthesis”