REAPER - adding vsti´s on linux

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I´m trying to find the best daw solution for some lightweight jamming fun on Raspberry Pi 4, and reaper seems to have good ways of tweaking the system to allow low latency. However, there´s no interesting vsti´s coming with it, so I´ve been looking around, noticing that it has support for native linux vsti´s. I´ve managed to install effect plugins and have them recognized in Reaper with no problems, but when putting vsti´s in that same folder, reaper does not pick them up after scanning. They´re also ".so" files, as it´s the case with the effect ones. Two I´ve tried, as an example is zebralette and CollaB3.
Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

If you don't mind me asking? How did you get Reaper to see the (vst) .so files?
Just picked up a RPI 4 last week, have been able to get Aurdour running .lv2's.
But the VST's I installed from KXStudio's repository are not seen by Reaper?

I installed the ARM versions to the default directory .vst, which is hidden in the /usr/share directory?
I can view the directory and see the .so files.
I have Reaper set to scan /usr/share/.vst which was what it default to on install?

FrettedSynth wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 pm If you don't mind me asking? How did you get Reaper to see the (vst) .so files?

I installed the ARM versions to the default directory .vst, which is hidden in the /usr/share directory?
I have Reaper set to scan /usr/share/.vst which was what it default to on install?
Then you probably have the same issue as me, and I guess it´s rather me who´s been lucky with one package that worked of plugins - it may have nothing to do with them being effects.
These were from sudo apt-get install zam-plugins, that end up in /usr/lib/vst that you can either add or manually move them to the path that you mention. If that works for you, at least you´re at the same stage as me :)
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:15 am
FrettedSynth wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:30 pm If you don't mind me asking? How did you get Reaper to see the (vst) .so files?

Then you probably have the same issue as me, and I guess it´s rather me who´s been lucky with one package that worked of plugins - it may have nothing to do with them being effects.
These were from sudo apt-get install zam-plugins, that end up in /usr/lib/vst but you can either add or manually move them to the path that you mention. If that works for you, at least you´re at the same stage as me :)
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Two I´ve tried, as an example is zebralette and CollaB3.
Does the Zebrallete and CollaB3 have an ARM builds?

Kott wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:10 am
Two I´ve tried, as an example is zebralette and CollaB3.
Does the Zebrallete and CollaB3 have an ARM builds?
Maybe you´re pinpointing the problem here! Is there a way to see if the .so file is built for ARM?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Yes, "file" utility can do that:

Code: Select all

file yourplugin.so
but I'm pretty sure that abovementioned plugins are Intel only.

Kott wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:18 am Yes, "file" utility can do that:

Code: Select all

file yourplugin.so
but I'm pretty sure that abovementioned plugins are Intel only.
Thanks, I googled Zebralette in the meantime, and found a thread telling that it´s not compiled for my architecture.
In the meantime, all I´m really after for now is a soundfont player that can directly used under Reaper, so no Carla-stuff or the like inbetween, of which I´m a bit worried will ruin the performance. I feel that with all parameters optimized in Reaper, it´s on its limits with 64 samples latency... Same latency setting in Ardour would make it crackle like mad.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

I know only one "big plugin" for ARM - Tracktion Collective.

Kott wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm I know only one "big plugin" for ARM - Tracktion Collective.
Tracktion is yet to be looked into... I do have waveform free installed, but so far not figured out how to get to where I can add plugins. Perhaps worth looking into that package, sounds like it´s very versatile, though I´m a bit afraid if there´s too much math going on, pushing my system to its max..
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:33 pm
Kott wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:20 pm I know only one "big plugin" for ARM - Tracktion Collective.
Tracktion is yet to be looked into... I do have waveform free installed, but so far not figured out how to get to where I can add plugins. Perhaps worth looking into that package, sounds like it´s very versatile, though I´m a bit afraid if there´s too much math going on, pushing my system to its max..
EDIT: It works fine with the Tracktion pack, but there´s an awful lot of hiccups of the audio since it´s probably too much for the system, even with a simple sine sound..
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Ooops, the directory I meant was usr/lib/vst
I got linuxsampler running in Reaper last night.
Download and install linuxsampler from the kxstudio plugins repository (arm version .vst).
Do sudo apt-get install qsampler, point Reaper to the usr/lib/vst folder, this was default for LS install.
LS scanned and loaded fine, use qsampler to load the .gig/.sf2 or .sfz
With overclock set to over_voltage=6, arm_freq=2120 & gpu_freq=600
Loaded the old giga piano on one track as a .gig, loaded a string patch as a .sf2 on another track.
Could use hold pedal to max voice count at 35% cpu with a setting of 44100, 128 samples no xruns.
Now I just need to lighten up the graphic resources used as it seems to stress the little guy.
Going to try to install the light os version and install xfce to see if I can lighten graphics?

FrettedSynth wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:13 pm Ooops, the directory I meant was usr/lib/vst
Download and install linuxsampler from the kxstudio plugins repository (arm version .vst).
Do sudo apt-get install qsampler, point Reaper to the usr/lib/vst folder, this was default for LS install.
Loaded the old giga piano on one track as a .gig, loaded a string patch as a .sf2 on another track.
Could use hold pedal to max voice count at 35% cpu with a setting of 44100, 128 samples no xruns.
Now I just need to lighten up the graphic resources used as it seems to stress the little guy.
Going to try to install the light os version and install xfce to see if I can lighten graphics?
Hang on dude, you´re way ahead of me :D Great that you´re sharing this, will def. need to try the same. My only prob is that 128 isn´t good enough for me, and I have a strong suspicion of that this is due to my amplifiers builtin DAC, so I guess I´ll need to get an analog hifiberry plus 7,5 m of rca cable, to cure this. Which hardware are you using for audio on the pi?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:46 pm
FrettedSynth wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:13 pm Ooops, the directory I meant was usr/lib/vst
Hang on dude, you´re way ahead of me :D Great that you´re sharing this, will def. need to try the same. My only prob is that 128 isn´t good enough for me, and I have a strong suspicion of that this is due to my amplifiers builtin DAC, so I guess I´ll need to get an analog hifiberry plus 7,5 m of rca cable, to cure this. Which hardware are you using for audio on the pi?
EDIT: I installed both qsampler and linuxsampler with no issues, but I don´t know what to do with linuxsampler. I can load it in reaper, but it´s pretty GUI-less. Any clue what I´m doing wrong?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:55 pm
Roman Empire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:46 pm
EDIT: I installed both qsampler and linuxsampler with no issues, but I don´t know what to do with linuxsampler. I can load it in reaper, but it´s pretty GUI-less. Any clue what I´m doing wrong?
I'm using an older Maudio USB for sound :-( sadly 128 samples is as low as it goes even with the official drivers for windows. Although I should try to lower to 64 in linux?
If you have both linuxsampler and qsampler installed, just load the gui-less LS to a track.
Then open qsampler where you can select the file type and load the samples .gig .sf2 .sfz.
Kind of a weird way to load samples but works well, once the sample is loaded you can close qsampler and not even save. The sample will be saved in reapers project file and open on reload.
Let me know if it works or if I explained something bad?

edit, by sample saved with reaper project I meant the it will reload, not save the entire sample in the project file.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”