Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

I wonder if Diva can make 1000 men do Tuvan throat singing from the cliffs of Dover while they sing: DIVA DIVA DIVA DIVA.

Because I can without Diva :hihi

It depends on what the OP means by compete. Obsession is up there, but it is a OB-esque VST. Neither Diva or Repro are OB-types. think Zebra HZ and Ana2 (probably best VA of the wavetable synths) can be discussed when talking about Diva and Repro. When I A/B in isolation with other soft synths vs. Diva and Repro they usually come up short one way or the other. The others usually lack dynamics, overall sound body, and/or the natural analog-like drift that Diva and Repro have. For pop, Synthwave, and EDM tunes my VST staples are Diva, Repro, Serum, Zebra, and now Obsession.

No, I am not a paid u-he agent. I pay u-he. :tu:

I once had a Diva licence and sold it. There was simply nothing that I could do with it. Pure matter of tastes. I try to make very, very modern sounding electronic music, and imho everything that comes from Diva sounds 70's-80's. Am I using it wrong ? Then every single preset maker is, also, because every preset sounds like it could be used in music from the 70's-80's, or in synthwave. Is it wrong ? For sure not. I totally respect that. People who love analog era tend to love Diva : cool, great, we live in a great world where there is a product for everybody. My singer's favourite synth is Diva.

But I do not respect people direspecting other people's tastes. The OP is either foolishly disrespectful or a shill. I think Urs needs nobody to help here, and judging from the OP's nickname, I assume this is simply a stupid question and that he should keep on $#iting his underwear instead of asking questions like that.

Can anything compete with Diva ? If you're into analog era, everybody's saying it's one of the best (the alternatives have already been mentionned). And it seems you're into it, since you also like Repro and I also dislike its sound (my favourite synth from U-He is Hive2).
If you're into ultra modern sound (for EDM production, trap, hip hop, future bass or such things), absolutely not, they're both coming at the bottom of the recommendation list.
One product, one crowd. The day one synth will please everybody won't come.
Did you really need an answer to this question ?? :shrug:

"Can any sport compete with football ?" Well... if you're not into football, a lot I guess... :ud:

A discussion without any possible answer. No end. Absurdity at its finest...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

4damind wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:28 pmWhat about FXpansion Strobe (something between SH and Juno)?
SH-09/101 and Juno are awful, near useless things. The most generic and characterless synths ever made with no cross-modulation or anything to make them worth having. I got a Strobe license with my Roli but it never grabbed me so I can't say I've used it. I don't think it's even installed any more. ANA does decent bass sounds, as do ArcSyn and DUNE, but the thing with bx_oberhausen is that it requires so much less effort. I use Union a bit for basslines, too. It has a nice bottom end and, like bx_oberhausen, it's quick and easy - it works or it doesn't, in which case you move on to something else.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

4damind wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:28 pm What about FXpansion Strobe (something between SH and Juno)?
I personally find Strobe to make unpleasant sounds a little too easily. Much of it depends on the filter drive. Too low and I find the resonance harsh.There is a narrow range where the drive takes the edge off the resonance but you still get decent amount of resonance (drive kills it). Overall it's just not such a great "sweet spot" synth. There are so many presets that are just nasty.

I have recently bought TAL-U-NO-LX and I have been making better sounds with it than with any other synth (Diva/Repro) ever before. It sounds so much more alive and ‘analogue’ than anything else.

Is it because U-NO-LX is a better plugin than Diva? No. By the specs of it it’s actually a pile of crap comparing to Diva/Repro. In fact it’s not even comparable. It’s not even apples and oranges but more like apples and cereal with sink water.

It merely sounds better because of me. It’s the way my mind clicks with the instrument. Music and art is so personal and subjective.

Tal Bassline. Also pretty good.

BONES wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:54 am SH-09/101 and Juno are awful, near useless things. The most generic and characterless synths ever made with no cross-modulation or anything to make them worth having.
I have a whack of hardware and software that can morph, burble, squawk with crazy near limitless modulation matrices. Loving the core sound is enough to justify having a Juno 60 here. I also enjoy the much maligned Timbre Wolf and Volca Keys for the same reason. They are quite limited (flawed in the case of the Timbre Wolf) but enough in the context of all the other choices I have. Besides I can mess with the sound in Cubase using multiband signal chains in Melda Mxxx to do some really far out sound design that only references the core sound if I really want to take it someplace.

I also agree with pbr985 regarding the Tal U-no LX . I bought the iPad version and Tal has nailed it.

I currently have a Summit and a Prophet 6 - the Summit can theoretically do everything the P6 can do and then some, but the P6 gets there quicker and can be more satisfying because it's simpler. This demands the absolute privilege to own $4k in hardware synths (paid for by giving up cigarettes - $8.50/day adds up quick it turns out) but in plugin land you're talking $50 for TAL, $100 for Repro, and another $100-200 for a couple of others.

The idea that a synth is garbage because it doesn't have cross-mod or an extensive mod matrix or whatever is absurd - it's about the song, no one's heart swells four sizes because of a looping envelope.

BONES wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:54 am
4damind wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:28 pmWhat about FXpansion Strobe (something between SH and Juno)?
SH-09/101 and Juno are awful, near useless things. The most generic and characterless synths ever made with no cross-modulation or anything to make them worth having. I got a Strobe license with my Roli but it never grabbed me so I can't say I've used it. I don't think it's even installed any more. ANA does decent bass sounds, as do ArcSyn and DUNE, but the thing with bx_oberhausen is that it requires so much less effort. I use Union a bit for basslines, too. It has a nice bottom end and, like bx_oberhausen, it's quick and easy - it works or it doesn't, in which case you move on to something else.
It's known that many EDM/Trance musicians praise Strobe (besides the typical Moog bass), especially for bass but also for pluck sounds, hence my question. But it's true bx_oberhausen has a lot of bottom end and sounds completely different (= better) than the Arturia SEM.

A lot of people praise a lot of absolute garbage. I prefer to make my own mind up, where possible.
Scotty wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:26 amI have a whack of hardware and software that can morph, burble, squawk with crazy near limitless modulation matrices. Loving the core sound is enough to justify having a Juno 60 here.
But you can enjoy the core sound of any of your synths. Just because they are full of other features doesn't mean you have to use all that stuff. The patches I use most in Pigments, for example, are very much the "core sound" of one of the wavetables I particularly like, without much adornment beyond a dose of unison. Moreover, having owned an SH-101 for several years and a JU-06 for a while, I can't imagine the core sound of a Juno wouldn't be bettered by dozens of half-decent softsynths.
miloszz wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:42 amThe idea that a synth is garbage because it doesn't have cross-mod or an extensive mod matrix or whatever is absurd - it's about the song, no one's heart swells four sizes because of a looping envelope.
Nobody said "garbage" but oscillator cross-modulation opens up so many possibilities when it comes to sound design and not having it is so limiting. I feel it every time I play around with my UNO - it's got such a nice sound but, just as it was with my JU-06, there is not a lot of opportunity to use it because of the lack of cross-mod.

You might also be surprised at how impressed someone can be by a looping envelope. It has to be the right kind of person, though.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Yeah, it's not about offers in the thread... but maybe interesting for some people that the bx_oberhausen is currently on sale for $39,99

4damind wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 am Yeah, it's not about offers in the thread... but maybe interesting for some people that the bx_oberhausen is currently on sale for $39,99
that's its realistic worth tbh.

Ploki wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 am
4damind wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:02 am Yeah, it's not about offers in the thread... but maybe interesting for some people that the bx_oberhausen is currently on sale for $39,99
BS.

Ploki wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 am
Bones bought it cheaper. :D

Return to “Instruments”