REAPER - adding vsti´s on linux

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OH BTW if you have not overclocked your RPI I highly recommend it, although don't shoot me if it blows...
Should be fine as long as you have heat sinks and a fan, at least it is on mine so far and was recommended from the PRI site. Before I overclocked it was crackle city.
Pretty simple to edit the config file if you are using RPI OS and running noobs at startup.
Still not too tough to do from terminal if noobs is not running or your not using RPI OS.

edit, Are you using jack for audio & MIDI connections to Reaper? If not again highly recommend for low latency. to install do sudo apt-get install jackd
Open qjackctrl and configure for your sound device and MIDI, then start jack before launching reaper the tell reaper to use jack for audio device and setup MIDI input.
Any problems let me know?

FrettedSynth wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:24 pm
Roman Empire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:55 pm
Roman Empire wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:46 pm
FrettedSynth wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:13 pm Ooops, the directory I meant was usr/lib/vst
I got linuxsampler running in Reaper last night.
Download and install linuxsampler from the kxstudio plugins repository (arm version .vst).
Do sudo apt-get install qsampler, point Reaper to the usr/lib/vst folder, this was default for LS install.
LS scanned and loaded fine, use qsampler to load the .gig/.sf2 or .sfz
With overclock set to over_voltage=6, arm_freq=2120 & gpu_freq=600
Loaded the old giga piano on one track as a .gig, loaded a string patch as a .sf2 on another track.
Could use hold pedal to max voice count at 35% cpu with a setting of 44100, 128 samples no xruns.
Now I just need to lighten up the graphic resources used as it seems to stress the little guy.
Going to try to install the light os version and install xfce to see if I can lighten graphics?
Hang on dude, you´re way ahead of me :D Great that you´re sharing this, will def. need to try the same. My only prob is that 128 isn´t good enough for me, and I have a strong suspicion of that this is due to my amplifiers builtin DAC, so I guess I´ll need to get an analog hifiberry plus 7,5 m of rca cable, to cure this. Which hardware are you using for audio on the pi?
EDIT: I installed both qsampler and linuxsampler with no issues, but I don´t know what to do with linuxsampler. I can load it in reaper, but it´s pretty GUI-less. Any clue what I´m doing wrong?
I'm using an older Maudio USB for sound :-( sadly 128 samples is as low as it goes even with the official drivers for windows. Although I should try to lower to 64 in linux?
If you have both linuxsampler and qsampler installed, just load the gui-less LS to a track.
Then open qsampler where you can select the file type and load the samples .gig .sf2 .sfz.
Kind of a weird way to load samples but works well, once the sample is loaded you can close qsampler and not even save. The sample will be saved in reapers project file and open on reload.
Let me know if it works or if I explained something bad?

edit, by sample saved with reaper project I meant the it will reload, not save the entire sample in the project file.
Thanks, I got it working! Well, a proper gm-rompler like in Ardour would be more handy, but this actually works well with no glitches! How is your feel of latency with 128 samples?
And, where did you get the gigapiano? I found a pack full of .gig files, but the grand piano there is horrible, sampled with some extra release on each key.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Cool glad to help, for GM you could always look for a .sf2 GM bank. Probably best to look for some decent .sfz's?
Feels pretty good actually, reported latency is about 5ms going to try at 64 samples 48khz see if it crushes the little thing? Once home from work.
Lol, gigapiano had it since I bought gigasampler in about 2002 at guitar center. Got it at blowout for I think $59 had the piano and a few other samples included. Have been able to continue to use thanks to a few samplers that support .gig, still love that piano.

FrettedSynth wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:57 am Cool glad to help, for GM you could always look for a .sf2 GM bank. Probably best to look for some decent .sfz's?
Feels pretty good actually, reported latency is about 5ms going to try at 64 samples 48khz see if it crushes the little thing? Once home from work.
Lol, gigapiano had it since I bought gigasampler in about 2002 at guitar center. Got it at blowout for I think $59 had the piano and a few other samples included. Have been able to continue to use thanks to a few samplers that support .gig, still love that piano.
Out of curiosity only, how big is gigapiano and which model is your pi? 2,4 or 8 GB?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:23 am
FrettedSynth wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:57 am Cool glad to help, for GM you could always look for a .sf2 GM bank. Probably best to look for some decent .sfz's?
Ah, I see that there´s sfz support too now - great! :D
Out of curiosity only, how big is gigapiano and which model is your pi? 2,4 or 8 GB?
Sorry, for some reason I end up confusing the quotation and editing symbols here sometimes... one more thing I was wondering: Can you have multiple instruments using this method, so like a piano on track 1 and a violin on track 2?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Giga Piano is about 600mb, but I think it is compressed.
When I convert to a .sfz it is a little over a gig for the full piano.
I have the RPI4B 4gb, did some more last night was able to get obxd, dexed, TAL and a few FX loaded and running. Before I went to bed I had two tracks with Dexed one with obxd all set to MIDI Ch#1 and TAL reverb on a send could hold the sustain pedal to max voice count at 32% CPU no xruns.
Pretty amazing considering the size and cost of this thing. Still want to see if I can find a way to lighten up the graphics resource usage? Now I understand why many go headless for audio use, saves CPU cycles for what really matters :-) Audio

FrettedSynth wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:24 pm Giga Piano is about 600mb, but I think it is compressed.
When I convert to a .sfz it is a little over a gig for the full piano.
I have the RPI4B 4gb, did some more last night was able to get obxd, dexed, TAL and a few FX loaded and running. Before I went to bed I had two tracks with Dexed one with obxd all set to MIDI Ch#1 and TAL reverb on a send could hold the sustain pedal to max voice count at 32% CPU no xruns.
Pretty amazing considering the size and cost of this thing. Still want to see if I can find a way to lighten up the graphics resource usage? Now I understand why many go headless for audio use, saves CPU cycles for what really matters :-) Audio
Thanks, I´ve found some decent sf2 pianos, and have no artifacts because of the low latency settings. But I´m wondering if you feel that the response is not good enough with your 128 setting for latency? Just wondering if that´s only happening here, cause then it´s my amplifiers DAC that adds too much latency, and I´ll need to get it an analog hifiberry instead.
EDIT: Also, is there a way to have different linux sampler instruments on different tracks?
ANSWER: Good help found here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=210659
Best Regards

Roman Empire

128 samples 48khz is showing as 5.3ms on both jack and reapers readout, darn that is the first time that reaper and the soundcard both show the same value? On windows the sound card and reaper show close to the same values but not exact. Would like to go lower but with my maudio USB things start to break up and I get xruns. Plus I'm old so might not be noticing the latency LOL but it feels pretty good. Will have to try with my NI Komplete Audio 6 to see if I can go lower without xruns?
Yes I have put multiple LS's, had giga piano on track 1 and a string patch on track 2 both being triggered by MIDI ch1.
Lol bought this just to play\learn linux, never thought it would actually work for audio.
Have an old Roland A-30 keyboard I just retired, now I want to build the RPI, a 7' touch display and my maudio inside the case so it is a stand alone keyboard. Should be a fun project.

...random comment: and you'll be able to jam online - Jamulus via JackD apparently works well on the Pi.

FrettedSynth wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:31 pm 128 samples 48khz is showing as 5.3ms on both jack and reapers readout, darn that is the first time that reaper and the soundcard both show the same value? On windows the sound card and reaper show close to the same values but not exact. Would like to go lower but with my maudio USB things start to break up and I get xruns. Plus I'm old so might not be noticing the latency LOL but it feels pretty good. Will have to try with my NI Komplete Audio 6 to see if I can go lower without xruns?
Yes I have put multiple LS's, had giga piano on track 1 and a string patch on track 2 both being triggered by MIDI ch1.
Lol bought this just to play\learn linux, never thought it would actually work for audio.
Have an old Roland A-30 keyboard I just retired, now I want to build the RPI, a 7' touch display and my maudio inside the case so it is a stand alone keyboard. Should be a fun project.
Well, I def. think it´s my amps DAC that´s adding latency then, but happy for that Reaper can still give me low enough latency when at buffersize 64 although it´s overkill - just not when the amp slows things down.
I went back to try linuxsampler on the first DAW I had success with on pi, Ardour, but it´s struggling like mad at 64 samples, unlike reaper so the choice is obvious.
I tried Tracktion too, but can´t get it to see linuxsampler, so I´m freaking happy that Reaper does the trick. Reaper is the least pretty one, but hey - things shouldn´t be too pretty on Linux :D
If you wanna save space for the setup you´re talking about, you should consider a hifiberry, which is both cheap and elegant in how it mounts directly to the pi´s PCB. Plus, you´ll get a 64 buffer running fine - even without overclocking. And I´m on the pi via XRDP btw, which also should put a bit of load on the system I guess.

Now I just need to figure out how to get shairport-sync running together with my DAW-pi, so that I can cast my other pi, that´s logged in via XRDP to a Windows machine upstairs, to this one and get audio from Windows coming into it while playing the keyboard. Pretty inconvenient to have to change source on the amplifier all the time.

EDIT: Why did you overclock the pi in the first place? Do you experience it getting hot when pushing its limits or do you have some extra fan added?
Last edited by Roman Empire on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

pljones wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:57 pm ...random comment: and you'll be able to jam online - Jamulus via JackD apparently works well on the Pi.
Not much of an online jammer myself, but good to know :)
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Roman Empire wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:52 pm
Well, I def. think it´s my amps DAC that´s adding latency then, but happy for that Reaper can still give me low enough latency when at buffersize 64 although it´s overkill - just not when the amp slows things down.
I went back to try linuxsampler on the first DAW I had success with on pi, Ardour, but it´s struggling like mad at 64 samples, unlike reaper so the choice is obvious.
I tried Tracktion too, but can´t get it to see linuxsampler, so I´m freaking happy that Reaper does the trick. Reaper is the least pretty one, but hey - things shouldn´t be too pretty on Linux :D
If you wanna save space for the setup you´re talking about, you should consider a hifiberry, which is both cheap and elegant in how it mounts directly to the pi´s PCB. Plus, you´ll get a 64 buffer running fine - even without overclocking. And I´m on the pi via XRDP btw, which also should put a bit of load on the system I guess.

Now I just need to figure out how to get shairport-sync running together with my DAW-pi, so that I can cast my other pi, that´s logged in via XRDP to a Windows machine upstairs, to this one and get audio from Windows coming into it while playing the keyboard. Pretty inconvenient to have to change source on the amplifier all the time.

EDIT: Why did you overclock the pi in the first place? Do you experience it getting hot when pushing its limits or do you have some extra fan added?
Ordered a hifiberry will see how it goes? Everthing I read about the hat sounds pretty good. Overclock? made a huge difference at what I am able to run even using the USB Maudio and also on streaming from the net. Have not had any problems with over heating, but do have heat sinks and a fan in the case.

REAPER/Linux -

Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:49 am REAPER/Linux -

:party:

FrettedSynth wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:40 pm
Roman Empire wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Ordered a hifiberry will see how it goes? Everthing I read about the hat sounds pretty good. Overclock? made a huge difference at what I am able to run even using the USB Maudio and also on streaming from the net. Have not had any problems with over heating, but do have heat sinks and a fan in the case.
Great, did you get your hifiberry?
Best Regards

Roman Empire

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”