Ujam Virtual Guitarist Carbon

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Virtual Guitarist Carbon

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:32 pm Are you serious? Are you more worried about money that music? Are you more interested in a bargain than in the right instrument for your needs? I happily paid the introductory price and I am even happier that I have got more than my money's worth from it and will get plenty more in the future. That it could be had for half price a few months later and is free now is something I honestly couldn't care less about.
It obviously depends on your financial situation. For me, music is just a hobby. I have a day job that pays well enough that I can impulse-purchase a $100 plugin without hurting too much financially. For someone who's just getting started trying to make a living off music production, is a student, unemployed etc., $100 is a lot of money. If they had known the plugin would soon be free, they could have waited and spent the $100 on another plugin they needed/wanted and crossed two plugins off their wish-list instead of just one.
tonedef71 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:14 am Seeing a promotion offering it for free less than one year after its release just stokes the buyer's remorse of early adopters and underscores the lesson to never purchase a newly released product from UJAM, because whatever introductory price being offered to new suckers is just a trap. You're better off waiting for a Black Friday deal. The only exception is if UJAM e-mails to you a no-brainer customer-loyalty discount offer (e.g. because you own every other product in the same product line, such as every VG except for the newly released one).
Some companies do paint themselves into that corner. It's the same with Waves and Plugin Alliance. Only those unfamiliar with their pricing policies fall into the trap of paying $299+ for a plugin and getting ripped off when it inevitably goes on sale for $29 the next month.
UJAM is another of those companies - the most I've paid for any of their products is $39, and even then I felt like an impatient fool for not waiting until it was $19 or $0.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:22 pmFor someone who's just getting started trying to make a living off music production, is a student, unemployed etc., $100 is a lot of money. If they had known the plugin would soon be free, they could have waited and spent the $100 on another plugin they needed/wanted and crossed two plugins off their wish-list instead of just one.
People in that situation need to be more careful with their money. If I wasn't working full time I wouldn't be impulse buying a plugin when it was first released, I'd be waiting for the sales as a matter of course. Hell, I earn decent money and I still wait for the sales on most things and have a $100 limit on any individual plugin. e.g. I've already written a new song with Generate but I am still umming and ahhing over whether or not I should spend $99 on it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I just got this for free with the Plugin Boutique offer.
I thought it was a "synthesizer" for heavy guitar-like sounds.
Then saw it wanted to download 4 GB during installation :o

Niowiad wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 am I just got this for free with the Plugin Boutique offer.
yeah. its a large install. but does sound very good. its also a little unstable. it crashed my DAW a few times.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Niowiad wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:32 am I just got this for free with the Plugin Boutique offer.
The downloader program doesn't let you specify which drive. Though thankfully it seems to download to the drive where the downloader .exe is located, so it wasn't an unnecessary 8 gb of wear on my primary SSD.

Too big a download for my ltd bandwidth. Not sure about devs integrity either. Maybe I'm being a bit picky but having a "free plugins" section that contains virtually no free plugins, only expensive ones with free trial options is a bit annoying.

It sounds great, but I am not sure if I can stand the frustration that it only plays 3 octaves. I don't understand this limitation at all...
But its inspiring, maybe I get comparable sounds with other plugins and some amp and distorion sims...

The limitation is obvious, you need to do a lot more sampling and have a much bigger download to add any more note range to it. That's why it's a lot cheaper than an equivalent Kontakt instrument, although many of those don't offer much more range.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I wouldn't mind if it would just varispeed the higher notes... No extra samples necessary... If it stops sounding completely like a guitar anymore, I would still welcome it... (With all that distortion I doubt you could hear the difference though...)

Yeah, you wouldn't but you know what people are like. I'm OK with it as it is. Having use other guitar multisamples that do map each sample across multiple notes, I'm much happier with the way Carbon is.

This morning I ripped through all my big rock songs that I'm using it in - One Hundred Years, The Wait, Marliese, All Stood Still, (Get A) Grip (On Yourself) and Holiday in Cambodia - and it sounds frickin' awesome! Holiday in Cambodia has to be one of the greatest songs ever written! It has so much power and energy.

Apparently there's no way to automate switching between Single note and Chord mode, aside from having two instances of Carbon?...

Review: " five ultra-amp simulators called 'Paranoid' (A tamer, warm sound almost resembling tape saturation.), 'Disturbed' (Typical hard rock setting with a warm and mid-based sound), 'Insane' (The bridge between classical hard rock and hi-gain metal.), 'Rabid' (Aggressive hi-gain distortion, punchy bottom end and piercing high-frequency quality.), and lastly 'Lobotomized' (The most dangerous weapon of choice that acts like an amp stack)."

Is that genre categorization really accurate? Many of the metal presets use Disturbed. (For example, Morbus Metallicum....)

Even with decent studio monitors in a treated room, I have to crank the volume up to bring out the details of the distortion. It does sound good at very high volumes (loud enough to bother my cat, and possibly my neighbors), which I'd suppose is what is generally expected for metal. But at lower volumes it loses much of the detail and sounds almost synth-like. (Granted, that's not necessarily bad in itself, since synths generally have more cultural cachet now than electric guitars. At moderate volumes the distortion sounds like it's about 80% of what I'd like it to be, but I'd prefer to add some of my own distortion anyway to make it relatively unique.) At lower volumes the louder frequencies also seem to drown out the quieter ones, messing up the perceived spectral balance.

I don't usually listen to metal or metal-influenced music at high volume, and that doesn't prevent the distortion from sounding detailed. Likewise, my best amp sims and distortion plugins don't need to be played at high volume for the distortion to sound good.

So what's the best way to bring out those details in Carbon at moderate volumes? Multiband compression/limiting and dynamic EQ? Spectral compression/expansion? Zynaptiq Intensity? I've been trying these with moderate success after a lot of tweaking. It would be good to have a quick low cpu solution.

(I guess the simplest low cpu solution is static EQ, but that's not ideal. Maybe automate it to match note or chord changes?...)

Carbon's built-in "Smash compressor" and EQs haven't helped much.

Reamping Carbon and getting it to sound good has also been trickier than reamping Iron. With Iron I just set amp to Clean and Drive to 0. But even the lowest Severity of Paranoid (or the other amp models) in Carbon is significantly distorted. I thought I might be able to treat it like a series of distortion pedals, or a serial amp stack, but it's been a slog. I'm thinking I might try Unfilter to try to recover the un-amped signal, but that seems like a huge waste of cpu.

How about turning up the instrument volume and turning down the channel volume? Because if the problem is with the channel volume, then it's a problem with your mix, not the instrument.

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:02 am How about turning up the instrument volume and turning down the channel volume? Because if the problem is with the channel volume, then it's a problem with your mix, not the instrument.
I already have the instrument volume maxed out to the point of almost clipping (tried spectral limiting with MSpectraldynamics, maybe I should demo Elevate's intelligent multiband limiter), and the channel volume almost making the master clip. It sounds off when soloed unless I blast the volume of my speakers (KRK G4 RP5, so they should be accurate enough). (Granted, it's partly a matter of personal taste. Though a metal guitarist, listening over their own studio monitors, agreed with me.) Trying to fit it into a mix again while retaining the detail of the distortion will probably be even more of a pain in the ass, unless I EQ out most of it or allow other things to mask it. It might be fine as some background texture I guess.

I do like some of the more sound design / electronica oriented presets / effects at moderate volumes.

You know nothing can clip in a virtual environment, right? The meters are just there to make you feel good. Put a brick wall limiter on your master and turn everything up as much as you like.

Return to “Instruments”