Softube Model 72 - Plugin + Modules for Softube Modular and Amp Room

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

v1o wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 pm Theres still quite some differences with hardware when it comes to high resonance sounds. Watch from the 3 minute market.

https://youtu.be/UW5TifwnD-c?t=183
Frankly, resonance sounds ugly an all three, including the hardware :hihi:

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:12 pm
v1o wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 pm Theres still quite some differences with hardware when it comes to high resonance sounds. Watch from the 3 minute market.

That's how analog filters sound. Not clean as a house floor as in many soft synths. :P

It's good that he turns up the resonance, and uses some clicky sounds for his comparison. That way you can really compare how the synths behave. Simple unfiltered oscillator sounds just won't do, because any synth will sound similar then. Much better than those Starsky Carr comparison vids as well.

Even though I wonder why he didn't use the fine tune knob in Legend...
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

And in a sequence at the end they all sound like Moog

v1o wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 pmTheres still quite some differences with hardware when it comes to high resonance sounds. Watch from the 3 minute market.
Like what? What I hear is mainly a tuning difference. EG The sound at 3:06? Set range -1 (osc 1) and -2 (osc 2) then set the cutoff tuning to -0.82. Tada, all of a sudden Model 72 matches his example just fine.

DO NOT rely on the people doing these demos matching everything well. Copy the settings and try for yourself.

PAK wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:36 pm
v1o wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 pmTheres still quite some differences with hardware when it comes to high resonance sounds. Watch from the 3 minute market.
Like what? What I hear is mainly a tuning difference. EG The sound at 3:06? Set range -1 (osc 1) and -2 (osc 2) then set the cutoff tuning to -0.82. Tada, all of a sudden Model 72 matches his example just fine.

DO NOT rely on the people doing these demos matching everything well. Copy the settings and try for yourself.
There are definitely differences in the resonance. Legend doesn't go quite as resonant as the others, and Model 72 doesn't seem to inherit quite the "chaotic" behavior.

It's minimal, but, it's there.

All in all, I'm impressed by both though. There should be more and different sounds to compare though. But, the comparison is definitely one of the better ones. Not those sucky "I compare a simple unfiltered sawtooth sound with the other synth" videos from people who obviously have no idea how to make a proper comparison.

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 pm There are definitely differences in the resonance. Legend doesn't go quite as resonant as the others, and Model 72 doesn't seem to inherit quite the "chaotic" behavior.
He's got the filter tuned differently, and that directly influences what's happening. Can you give me an exact time where you think it "doesn't go there?". Not enthused to watch this stuff, not least when he's not matching the basics.

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:39 pm
All in all, I'm impressed by both though.
what about the in between the lines in the other thread?

Told you Model 72 is good :party:

chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:35 pm

That's how analog filters sound. Not clean as a house floor as in many soft synths. :P

It's good that he turns up the resonance, and uses some clicky sounds for his comparison. That way you can really compare how the synths behave. Simple unfiltered oscillator sounds just won't do, because any synth will sound similar then. Much better than those Starsky Carr comparison vids as well.

Even though I wonder why he didn't use the fine tune knob in Legend...
Well, I think it sounds ugly and unmusical, whether authentic or not.
In my view resonance usually has a sweet range where it sounds nice and musical with reduced cutoff. Like between 30 to 60% maybe (resonance, that is).
Last edited by e-crooner on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

e-crooner wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:48 pm
Well, I think it sounds ugly unmusical, whether authentic or not.
In my view resonance usually has a sweet range where it sounds nice and musical with reduced cutoff. Like between 30 to 60% maybe.
more like e-boomer

no but seriously, extreme cutoff has it's place. everything is musical if used in the right context by a skilled artis.

Yes, but you rarely use such a high resonance sound in a song? I like more realistic examples, a sound that probably many would use in a song (e.g. a typical bass with 2 or 3 oscillators). If such a sound sounds very similar in all plugins, it does not matter which plugin you use. The decision is then more likely to be based on the additional features or the price.

Anyway... you can also see in the video that Legend and Model 72 sound very similar. The differences are small and could be based on the different hardware. The emulations we currently have (Diva, The Legend, Model 72) are all excellent. For me they all sound "like hardware".
Last edited by 4damind on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:51 pm no but seriously, extreme cutoff has it's place. everything is musical if used in the right context by a skilled artis.
Yes, definitely. A lot of the music I listen to incorporates some extreme sounds (which don't even sound so extreme in the context ;)).

BTW the envelope will also sound different (slower to react) unless he turns env retrig to multi too. He doesn't reveal those settings, but it sounds like he did not activate that option in the bit I heard (surprise!)
Last edited by PAK on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Softube has acknowledged an ongoing OpenGL issue. Windows updates break their code and they eventually hack a temp fix but have yet to actually resolve the issue once and for all.
SHall1000 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 pm Softube's last module release (the Vermona) still crashes Ableton Live for me even 6 months after release (been back and forth with support), so reluctant to get any more modules for Modular. Plus, they don't look that exciting.

And if IL Sytrus can sound like Monark, probably it also can sound like Moog. You are nitpicking now over very insignificant things.

Everything is moog. I am moog.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14v7dv80xdqka ... g.mp3?dl=0

Return to “Instruments”