Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

How good does Studio One support touch devices?

I don't know about the touch devices really, but I want to report that S1v5 has zero problems with the midi setup with my MODX :D (for those who have MODX and Halion/Halion Sonic).

As I expected, Ableton support couldn't solve the problem. They need MODX with the same firmware to duplicate it. The strange thing is I have installed Live 9 intro and I have no such problems! Anyway, I have already sold Live 10 and most of the lands look greener in S1 v5 :)

dermichl wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 pm How good does Studio One support touch devices?
By itself it just works like any Widnows app, provided you have big enough screen (or high enough scaling factor) & small hands / long fingers to touch all elements comfortably. There's also Remote App for iOS & Android, but it's more for mixing than for production:

https://www.presonus.com/products/studio-one-remote
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

No, your answer is pretty misleading tbh - there's no such thing as a "normal Windows app" when it comes to touchscreen. For starters, most (non-moblie) DAWs still are not multi-touch capable - Studio One however is one of the few that is. Also the whole UI works perfectly with a touchscreen. You can control each (or at least almost each) of its elements with ease. Also there are other things that help. So far no other (non-mobile) DAW I tried works nearly as well with touchscreens as Studio One.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pm No, your answer is pretty misleading tbh - there's no such thing as a "normal Windows app" when it comes to touchscreen. For starters, most (non-moblie) DAWs still are not multi-touch capable - Studio One however is one of the few that is. Also the whole UI works perfectly with a touchscreen. You can control each (or at least almost each) of its elements with ease. Also there are other things that help. So far no other (non-mobile) DAW I tried works nearly as well with touchscreens as Studio One.
FYI Bitwig has even more improved touch functions. Actually superior to S.One. They even have special "touch" mode toggle and it's fantastic for piano roll editing and so on. Try to see their youtube videos you'll see what I mean.

But I can't stand Bitwig layout so I never used it further. Out of everything I tried so far, Studio One and Bitwig seems only DAW applications that care about touch (multitouch that is).

jens wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:47 pmNo, your answer is pretty misleading
Sorry, it wasn't meant to be :)

From my experience on Surface Pro 4 most contemporary apps work OK with touch. I also said it like that because there's nothing that Presonus added "extra" to make touch experience stand out above the expected standard, unlike e.g. Bitwig that came up with new GUI paradigm and separate profile. In that sense it is Ok, but nothing to write home about :)
Music tech enthusiast

I disagree - I tried out Bitwig especially in regards to its touchscreen-friendlyness and personally by far prefer Studio One when it comes to this.

First of all, the Edit, Mix and Browse buttons make it super easy to navigate to these parts of the application (just compare this to Reason for instance).

Then you have then macro toolbars which are a godsend for touchscreens as you can have all the functions/macros you may need right at your fingertips - may it be that you missed these (or their full functionality)?

Then everything is just the right size for touchscreen-useage.

To me it seems obvious that the Studio One team spend a lot of time in order to ensure its touch-friendlyness.

Bitwig is certainly much better than Reaper for instance, but somehow the whole interface didn't really click with me - I admit though that may be me or perhaps even just a lack of effort on my part. But to me it seems a bit like they tried to re-invent the wheel and failed. Studio One on the other hand appears simply elegant, logically laid out and highly functional to me.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I like this song and band so, why not mix them for fun and practice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRHdd-jK0JI

jens wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pmBitwig is certainly much better than Reaper for instance, but somehow the whole interface didn't really click with me - I admit though that may be me or perhaps even just a lack of effort on my part. But to me it seems a bit like they tried to re-invent the wheel and failed. Studio One on the other hand appears simply elegant, logically laid out and highly functional to me.
Again, I'm only saying S1 devs did nothing particular to facilitate touch support. It's just correct, as you'd expect from any modern app, but lots of elements is still too small and require changing tools, diving in menus, etc.

Bitwig went the extra mile and operation on MIDI notes, clips and devices (on-screen keys / pads) are paid special attention to, although sadly abandoned in development since v1.3 :(

See the last 7 videos here or the playlist below. You might not like the style of the GUI, but you can't deny they've made an effort. And perhaps it does seem like trying to "invent the wheel" initially, but in practical use it's really not. Just a simple fact that a gesture dictates the action to be performed (e.g. drawing, deleting, selecting, changing size) so you don't have to menu-dive to select a tool makes huge difference. The (customisable) dynamic top menu also puts most used functions - copy, paste, undo, etc. - on screen, which you simply don't get access to any other way than via menu-diving or 3rd party screen overlays elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... hx0zGL7GD1
Last edited by antic604 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:09 amBitwig went the extra mile and operation on MIDI notes, clips and devices (on-screen keys / pads) are paid special attention to, although sadly abandoned in development since v1.3 :(
I agree. The best touch feature for me is Bitwig's on-screen MIDI keyboard. It supports different layouts, multitouch and MPE and it's very expressive and fun to use.

Crossinger wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:46 am
jens wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:19 am That's just 50$ more than my upgrade price from V4 Pro - that puts Presonus right near the top of my list of companies TO NEVER DO ANY f**king BUSINESS WITH EVER AGAIN.
Oh c'mon - I'm sure you know that paying full price for software nowadays is like taxes for mental laziness.
Exactly.
Cubase had a discount too. I just don't like the dongle.
"Buy Cubase Artist and upgrade to Cubase Pro for free"
https://www.gearnews.com/deal-buy-stein ... -for-free/
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

cool

That's still more than I paid for Cubase Pro last year, when they had their anniversary sale on.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Any way to recall instrument settings/parameters just like how you can recall mixer settings using the "scenes"?

Yes, by saving a patch.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”