Logic and general state of Mac OS and iOS integration

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dellboy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:16 pm Why have they hidden Alchemy away somewhere ?Sometimes I find it by accident - and then its gone again, hiding somewhere.
It's first choice on the instrument list, next to your previous used ones...
The same goes for the sampler and other stuff. Some times the legacy Logic instruments are there with all the synth functions showing and then - poof - there gone and just basic controls are available.
You can re-organize things to your liking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84bG-WByv4Q

Legacy things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coU70dSUXAA

Dont’t give up. It is not rocket science, but the «logic» of Logic is different than, say, Cubase and Studio One and it will take some getting used to.

There are good introductions to Logic on YouTube, maybe you should check them out.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

I accidentally found a way to find and load Alchemy by double clicking in the track making area which made an "instrument" track and then clicking in a little place in the inspector with up - down arrows and there it was hiding with a load of other legacy instruments. I have to say that although this method works it does not feel right. Logic needs a media browser window just like all other modern DAWS.

Previously I had been poking around in another window called the "library" which is the logical place to have put it, but nope, that would have been too easy.

And why hide "legacy" stuff away ? It feels like they have been sidelined ready for deletion at some future point.

Maybe they are preparing for eventual OSX - IOS integration and Apple silicon ?

This thread comes at a good time. I mainly work out of FL Studio but am also pretty comfortable in Ableton. I love both DAWs, but I had a thought the other day about Logic's potential, especially when you consider the resources they have with Apple. I was thinking about how Apple is rolling their own ARM chips and what that might mean for this application as well as the overall ecosystem with the iPad as well as Apple's research into overall tech and things like A.I in the future. Recently there have been a surge of A.I-type musical plugins and I expect many more in the future. Apple being such a tech juggernaut on that end alone, it seems like they would simply have maybe hundreds of times more resources available compared to other DAW companies (although I know all that money isn't primarily used for Logic)? However, if they choose to shell out for some Logic features, expenses would seem like it'd be pennies to them. Perhaps with the recent wave of newer producers this may pique their interest more?

Anyways, my main question here: what would you guys say are Logic's main strengths? For example, the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of the pro's for FL are the piano roll and overall MIDI functionality which makes clicking in notes that you hear in your head very fluid as it's quick to get ideas down, listen to them back and re-edit them. For Ableton, the audio warping capabilities are terrific and I love how easy they make grouping. What would the equivalents for Logic Pro be to those that are familiar with it? I do recall discussions mentioning the comping features as well as how easily working with orchestral libraries are. I also think that new Remix feature in the new major update seems highly intuitive to play with using the iPad and has a big advantage in terms of fluidity compared to simply turning knobs and sliders which most vsts use.

Any feedback, advice here would be really cool. I mainly produce hip-hop, R&B and modern pop music so I'm generally used to the looping workflow that both FL and Ableton provide, but also am looking to take a breath of fresh air with a more linear approach. Sound design seems like a wash amongst all DAWs, they all have really solid vsts and there are numerous 3rd party ones that I rely on primarily, although I've heard the stock Logic FX plugins are practically an industry standard. I don't want to derail the thread either, so it'd be very interesting to hear opinions about the first part of my post as well regarding how the direction Apple is taking overall in terms of its own hardware and therefore it's ecosystem may impact this application.
Last edited by JGM4Ever on Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

For me, Logic Pro X is all about «depth». It has so many features, many of which are extremely clever, but they are sometimes hidden under the hood. I find sometimes that I need to google a bit to find out how to do things, then it turns out that it’s a 3 second operation when you realize how to do it. That’s both a good thing and a bad thing IMHO. The complexity can be a bit too much at times.

At the same time it has a lot of «click and play» features with tons of instrument and channel presets.

And as you mention, the included plugins are mostly fantastic.

I moved to Logic from FL and Live about 10 years ago, and have not looked back.
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

JGM4Ever wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 amAny feedback, advice here would be really cool.
I think this is really simple:

- if you own Apple computer already, there's no excuse for you not to at least try Logic for 90 days, do some music in it and at $200 you should actually just get it, considering bang / buck ratio in terms of quantity and quality of stuff that comes with it

- if you don't own Apple computer but know you want one, it's a tougher situation because of the Apple silicon on the horizon. But it's safe to assume Intel Macs will be supported for years to come and getting a MacBook Pro - or even better a new iMac that everyone say is practically perfect - can be a good move. You can even configure it to come with Logic already installed :) Otherwise, you can expect growing pains with the new silicon, unoptimised apps, stuff not running at all and who even knows when the 'pro' level hardware comes out anyway

- if you're not interested in ever getting anything Apple, then there's no choice to make ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:59 am Logic needs a media browser window just like all other modern DAWS.
Absolutely, it desperately does and I sense it's one of the next things in line, updated browser with plugin search, drag&drop, smarter preview and all that stuff other DAW's already got incorporated, maybe with their own twist's here and there.
And why hide "legacy" stuff away ? It feels like they have been sidelined ready for deletion at some future point.
They kept them so one can load old projects without issues, but they aren't going to re-design those tools, dunno, most of them aren't really that special at all, maybe that quirky Silver Compressor, but still...
Maybe they are preparing for eventual OSX - IOS integration and Apple silicon ?
Logic is ready for Apple Silicon already.

kovacs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:49 am For me, Logic Pro X is all about «depth». It has so many features, many of which are extremely clever, but they are sometimes hidden under the hood. I find sometimes that I need to google a bit to find out how to do things, then it turns out that it’s a 3 second operation when you realize how to do it. That’s both a good thing and a bad thing IMHO. The complexity can be a bit too much at times.
Absolutely, just when you think something can't be done or wonder how, there's some Logic wizard (like David Nahmani) that knows actual way or have some workaround, there's tons of shortcuts under the hood and there's that guy (Edgar Rothermich) who can write a book every time Logic have major update, because they add so much non obvious (that aren't explained in huge release notes) stuff there, it's mind boggling.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:28 pm

Yeah, I saw that, its already running on OSX, but has it actually been shown running on an i-Pad Pro, or even a normal i-Pad yet ?

Along with the media browser a really good Diva type virtual analog would be nice.

JGM4Ever wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 am Anyways, my main question here: what would you guys say are Logic's main strengths?
It's jack of all trades DAW and master of none, which sound like a bad thing, but it isn't, because these days there are so many people who are wearing few hats (composing, recording, arranging, mixing and mastering) and Logic caters to that people, it's greatly optimized so you can work quite efficiently on the go too, there's people running commercial studios with Logic solely, some prefer Cubase, but it's preference, both are catering to diverse crowd, thing is if you aren't just recording or mixing, chances are big Pro Tools will look less interesting and Logic/Cubase much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUHcYX1-9Y8

You have aspirations to become similar to this guy most probably, Logic since that video refined whole sampling aspect, there's clip launcher with step sequencer, so you can use utilize similar inputting workflow as you would in Live and FL, it will be even more amazing with touch screen.
Last edited by Passing Bye on Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm Yeah, I saw that, its already running on OSX, but has it actually been shown running on an i-Pad Pro, or even a normal i-Pad yet ?
Ahh, ok, no, at least I didn't saw anything yet.
Along with the media browser a really good Diva type virtual analog would be nice.
Afraid they tackled that one with Retro Synth.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm
kovacs wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:49 am For me, Logic Pro X is all about «depth». It has so many features, many of which are extremely clever, but they are sometimes hidden under the hood. I find sometimes that I need to google a bit to find out how to do things, then it turns out that it’s a 3 second operation when you realize how to do it. That’s both a good thing and a bad thing IMHO. The complexity can be a bit too much at times.
Absolutely, just when you think something can't be done or wonder how, there's some Logic wizard (like David Nahmani) that knows actual way or have some workaround, there's tons of shortcuts under the hood and there's that guy (Edgar Rothermich) who can write a book every time Logic have major update, because they add so much non obvious (that aren't explained in huge release notes) stuff there, it's mind boggling.
The list of changes with 10.5 was indeed mind boggling! Even after exploring 10.5 and watching a few videos, I would be reading some post that mentions another significant improvement that I hadn’t heard of in 10.5. The 10.5 change log is so long that halfway through it I am already forgetting... Hehehehe

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:00 pm
dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm Yeah, I saw that, its already running on OSX, but has it actually been shown running on an i-Pad Pro, or even a normal i-Pad yet ?
Ahh, ok, no, at least I didn't saw anything yet.
Afraid they tackled that one with Retro Synth.
I missed that one so I just gave it a go and its ok, nice to look at and simple. Not may presets to judge by.

When I get more time I will see if its up to much and do some tweaking.

dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:28 pm

Yeah, I saw that, its already running on OSX, but has it actually been shown running on an i-Pad Pro, or even a normal i-Pad yet ?
I haven't seen it running on an iPad Pro yet... I think it is inevitable that it will... who knows when though. Could come in a couple steps. A significantly improved Garageband would be a solid first step.

Logic Remote is excellent. I would like it to get an update. There is plenty more it could control that it doesn't currently. What it does do works very well.

While I don't use Logic as my main daw (Long time Ableton Live and Pro Tools user) it has really intrigued me recently with all of the awesome updates and features that they have added with 10.5 for instance. I may have to purchase it and give it a real tryout instead of just tinkering with it like I have previously.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”