Can anything compete with DIVA or Repro in 2020?!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Repro

Given I don't own either of those, but many others, then the answer is yes. I don't see what either would add to my current list.

AnX wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:51 am
dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:34 am
I took the trouble to listen to some of your stuff and it explains a lot about your comments on this forum. The type of music you make seems a bit 90s inspired - Prodigy influenced

:lol:
Did i get that wrong ?

Probably.

I just listened to "Underground" and I guess that genre is "post apocalyptic dystopian".

Actually there is an Oberheim-ish type driving pad in that which perhaps would not be possible on a Juno.

I did own a Juno 106 for a couple of years and have a soft spot for it, especially that chorus.

EnGee wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 pm I've got Oberhausen for $39 but I've got Thorn for $19. Great synths for insane prices! They are sure worth more. Oberhausen IMO is there with the best sounding analog soft synths, while Thorn is from the best digital (or non analog emulations) synths.

I'm demoing Model 72 these days. It is a fantastic synth. It is from the synths that remind me of my family old wooden Philips radio. I almost felt the heat is coming from my screen when I was playing :hihi:

I don't know I might buy it really! I have Diva and the Legend, but Model 72 is even more vintage. It sounds huge and really big!
I’m thinking about Thorn for $19, but even if Model 72 is closer to the original hardware, I doubt it’ll move my needle much. The Moog clone oscillators and filter on my ATC-X are outrageously fat. Only 2 oscillators, but 2 full LFOs and three ADSR EGs.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

BONES wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:21 am
e-crooner wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 pmI do think the Juno sounds good.
Well, you're wrong.
Oh, now you have convinced me :hihi:

dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:32 pm
I took the trouble to listen to some of your stuff and it explains a lot about your comments on this forum. The type of music you make seems a bit 90s inspired - Prodigy influenced

Did i get that wrong ?

Probably.

I just listened to "Underground" and I guess that genre is "post apocalyptic dystopian".

Actually there is an Oberheim-ish type driving pad in that which perhaps would not be possible on a Juno.

I did own a Juno 106 for a couple of years and have a soft spot for it, especially that chorus.
I guess Bones might like the OB Xtreme from Aly James. That thing can make some nasty noise for his wall of sound :hihi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kehL7Gl ... aJi_MMhj0Z

OB Xtreme has sounds nothing like OB... hm
Murderous duck!

david.beholder wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 pm OB Xtreme has sounds nothing like OB... hm
Yes, as he says on his site:

"So, based on an original OB-X architecture, I have crafted some controllable diode clipping stage before and after the filter, which really brings body and harmonics for a beefy result, especially in conjunction with the VCF...It can be soft and warm or scream in a good way. From there I extended the concept.

Contrary to all my others VSTis, OB-Xtreme is not an exact recreation of an OB-X, it is rather a "closely inspired by" approach, stripped down to the minimum for an easy sound design of OB Brass, Pads, Leads, FX and Percussions. However, some extended features like an optional FAT mode and Multiple DAW outputs per voice can push you into experimental mood...different FX treatments per voice..."

dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:32 pm

Did i get that wrong ?

Probably.

It's rather Synthwave/Industrial AFAIC. Prodigy is... rave? Or something? Never really liked them.

e-crooner wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 pm
david.beholder wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:38 pm OB Xtreme has sounds nothing like OB... hm

"So, based on an original OB-X architecture, I have crafted some controllable diode clipping stage before and after the filter, which really brings body and harmonics for a beefy result, especially in conjunction with the VCF...It can be soft and warm or scream in a good way. From there I extended the concept.
That's marketing horseradish bs. OB-X is certain synth with certain sound, it has distinctive VCO, Detune, VCF sound. Doing generic synth with clipping diodes distortion is far away from what makes OB-X synth OB-X. Have they done proper filter emulation?
Murderous duck!

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:35 pm
EnGee wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 pm I've got Oberhausen for $39 but I've got Thorn for $19. Great synths for insane prices! They are sure worth more. Oberhausen IMO is there with the best sounding analog soft synths, while Thorn is from the best digital (or non analog emulations) synths.

I'm demoing Model 72 these days. It is a fantastic synth. It is from the synths that remind me of my family old wooden Philips radio. I almost felt the heat is coming from my screen when I was playing :hihi:

I don't know I might buy it really! I have Diva and the Legend, but Model 72 is even more vintage. It sounds huge and really big!
I’m thinking about Thorn for $19, but even if Model 72 is closer to the original hardware, I doubt it’ll move my needle much. The Moog clone oscillators and filter on my ATC-X are outrageously fat. Only 2 oscillators, but 2 full LFOs and three ADSR EGs.
Thorn is definitely worth $99 (so anything less is a bargain)! It can make most everything, but I like especially the plucks (also in Diversion) and the aggressive sounds. It's different from other synths and the design/GUI is excellent.

I had the CM version since its release, so I know what I'm getting. Buy it ;)

david.beholder wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:19 pm
e-crooner wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 pm

That's marketing horseradish bs. OB-X is certain synth with certain sound, it has distinctive VCO, Detune, VCF sound. Doing generic synth with clipping diodes distortion is far away from what makes OB-X synth OB-X. Have they done proper filter emulation?
I don't know, and I don't care, frankly. I only thought it would suit Bones because it is loud and distorted :hihi:

I bought that synth years ago but rarely used it, especially since I switched to 64 bit.

e-crooner wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:26 pm I don't know, and I don't care, frankly. I only thought it would suit Bones because it is loud and distorted :hihi:

I bought that synth years ago but rarely used it, especially since I switched to 64 bit.
I care as proud owner of SEM I yet to hear proper emulation of VCO and VCF. The one in Diva is close but gain is different.
Murderous duck!

Did you try bx_oberhausen?

Just asking, not trying to claim that it's close. I can't judge about that at all, never heard one in person, and there's only few sound demos of the real thing available (at least I never really found many browsing on Youtube and elsewhere).

david.beholder wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:29 pm
e-crooner wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:26 pm I don't know, and I don't care, frankly. I only thought it would suit Bones because it is loud and distorted :hihi:

I care as proud owner of SEM I yet to hear proper emulation of VCO and VCF. The one in Diva is close but gain is different.
While it is SynthEdit, that developer does write his own modules, so maybe he has indeed modeled some components, who knows...
I can't compare because I've never had an Oberheim.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:32 pm Did you try bx_oberhausen?

Just asking, not trying to claim that it's close. I can't judge about that at all, never heard one in person, and there's only few sound demos of the real thing available (at least I never really found many browsing on Youtube and elsewhere).
Sure I did. Same issues everywhere. There were plenty of videos on sound of SEM and SEM Pro on youtube sometimes raw in line without any effects.
Murderous duck!

Return to “Instruments”