Can anyone advise how to midi sync my gear and daw?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, new to the forum and need some help with how to connect all my stuff up so it's midi synced to my DAW so that I can use a mixture of hardware and soft synths. I have the following:

FL Studio
Korg Volca Drum
Arturia Microbrute
Behringer Odyssey

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 so is there any way I can use something to connect 4 devices to it (I have a guitar as well) or do I need to get rid and get a 4i4?

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 seems to lack midi-interface.
You need a midi-interface. Something like this: https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... rface/2KOA
Then set things up in FL Studio preference. It should sync the midi as master clock.

This ^^ ... or get an audio interface with more audio inputs and midi.

OK thanks, so if I got that hub am I right in thinking a midi out goes in to a device and then out from that back to the hub, they won't be daisy chained as I've seen it called elsewhere?

How would I then get the audio in to the pc to record from 3 devices? I only have 1 spare input on my audio interface as 1 is being used for guitar

An audio interface with more audio inputs and midi or a small mixer maybe? I use a 2-input audio interface with midi in/out. I send a stereo out from the mixer to which all my hardware synths and fx are connected, into my interfaces 2 audio inputs. There are plenty of cheap mixers around these days, some with built-in USB audio interfaces.

OK, what you need is a mixer for the audio and a MIDI interface to your computer. The easiest thing to do is to buy a USB audio interface that has enough inputs for your three hardware devices. Some hardware synths have an AUDIO IN but I don't think any of your stuff does. It's worth checking, though, as it will allow you to daisy-chain your audio. If you're happy with your 2i2, you might want to upgrade to an 8i6, which has MIDI and enough audio inputs to solve all your problems.
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... d-Gen/2YSJ

Otherwise you will end up with lots of gear that needs extra USB ports and is generally more annoying to work with. If you want to keep using your 2i2, you could just buy a cheap Yamaha or Behringer mixer and the MIDI box Saffron suggested but you won't end up saving much money over the 8i6. Personally, I use one of these and it works well enough for my needs -
https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-an ... rface/34U9
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The midi box advantage is that you are free to only power on and work with one (or more) of the synths if you want to.
Daisychaining the midi means you have to power on all connected synths even if you only want to work with one of them. If one of the synths isn't powered on the chain is broken and wont work.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”