One Synth Challenge #140: Pendulate (exponent1 wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pendulate

mix updated, track above (previous page)

Hi, long time no see :)
Haven't done any synth based music in four years or so, but I like the sound of this one (did even buy the big brother) and I liked the challenge of doing a piece just a monophonic synth

https://soundcloud.com/formfisch/fese-s ... ns-osc-140

16 instances of Pendulate. Every sound created from default preset.
Cubase Pro 10.5 FX: EQ, Comps, Reverb, Delay, Limiter, Gate
Freeware FX: Valhalla Supermassive, TDR Kotelnikov + Nova, Klanghelm IVGI + DC1A, Ignite TPA-1

Just out of curiosity, because I don't listen to electronic music: Roughly what genre of the (big) EM universe could this be filed under?

I’m really amazed at the percussive sounds you all are getting out of Pendulate.🙌
Dan Gillespie from Newfangled Audio (and sometimes Eventide)

DGillespie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm I’m really amazed at the percussive sounds you all are getting out of Pendulate.🙌
The second envelope generator being able to modulate the LP gate env helped a bit :)
Still, a bit of post processing was needed...

Here's my first contest entry: Pendulosity. Enjoy!
It's meant to be an uptempo fun piece with repeating motifs, tunes, some blending of these at the end. About 2 1/2 minutes.
This was done with 12 instances of Pendulate. No effects were used.
DAW: Logic Pro
https://soundcloud.com/brother-greg/pendulosity-1
Last edited by Brother Greg on Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

My entry:

https://soundcloud.com/wireframewolves/pendulous

Ableton Live 10
Instances: Pendulate: 29; Reverb: 15; EQ8: 13; OTT: 8; Compressor: 3; Echo: 2; Autofilter: 2; Supermassive: 1; Drum Buss: 1; Saturator: 1; And a bunch of: Utility, Spectrum, and my new favorite: Signalizer! Really interesting synth overall.

Hello dear KVRists!

What an interesting synth! Great to play with, I especially enjoyed the random feature and the weird pendulum chaos. Great for both clean and dirty sounds!
Here's my submission:

https://soundcloud.com/mylofymusic/mylofy-independulate

-Made on ArchLinux, DAW Ardour 6.3
-26 instances of Pendulate via the miraculous Carla Plugin Client (https://github.com/falkTX/Carla) and wine.

Further effects used (all FOSS):
-x42 parametric stereo EQ
-TAP Tubewarmth
-Dragonfly Reverb
-Calf Gate
-Calf Limiter
-Calf Stereo Tool
-Calf Vintage Delay
-Ardour a-compressor
-LSP Sidechain Multiband Compressor
-LSP Parametric EQ
-Zam Dynamic EQ

Master Bus chain:
-Luftikus EQ
-LSP parametric EQ
-LSP Multiband Compressor
-ZaMaximX2
-LSP Limiter
-Calf Limiter

Hope you enjoy the track and leave comments for the full learning experience :)
Cheers!

DGillespie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm I’m really amazed at the percussive sounds you all are getting out of Pendulate.🙌
Drums are the ketchup and mustard glopped over every track. Why not use this synth for whatever unique sounds and capabilities it offers?

Wes Kilbride wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:56 pm
Drums are the ketchup and mustard glopped over every track. Why not use this synth for whatever unique sounds and capabilities it offers?
Because this is the One Synth Challenge?

exponent1 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:20 pm
Meaning the challenge is to make the synth not sound like itself?

Wes Kilbride wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:24 pm
Sometimes and maybe unfortunately, yes. But percussion sounds that take advantage of the variations from the Pedulate oscillator are very much the sound of synth itself.

Exactly. The challenge is to design sounds which people wouldn't think are possible with this synth and composing a track with those sounds. That's the beauty of this challenge!

Most people will anyway design and use the synth for the sounds this synth has to offer normally, but some also take up the extra challenge of designing sounds which are unheard of/impressive. In this case, percussive sounds. It's fun, you should try it!

Welcome to the OSC! :hug:

exponent1 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:32 pm
Exactly. The challenge is to design sounds which people wouldn't think are possible with this synth and composing a track with those sounds. That's the beauty of this challenge!

Most people will anyway design and use the synth for the sounds this synth has to offer normally, but some also take up the extra challenge of designing sounds which are unheard of/impressive. In this case, percussive sounds. It's fun, you should try it!

The beauty of any synth is whatever it uniquely has to offer. Why bother making a vibrating organ sound like a drum?

Wes Kilbride wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:38 pm

The beauty of any synth is whatever it uniquely has to offer. Why bother making a vibrating organ sound like a drum?
Yes you're right. People will definitely use the synth's unique sounds and capabilities, but some also like to push the boundaries and experiment. Also, Sound design using oscillators and 'making a vibrating organ sound like a drum' are 2 different things. No one is doing that here.

This challenge and community is all about creative sound design, composition, mixing, mastering and everything in between. I don't see why it's a bad thing to try and make percussive sounds from synths even if the synths are not meant for that? Because that's exactly what this challenge is about, to compose a song, with or without drums using the chosen synth.

I hope you see the point I'm trying to make. But do participate cause it's a fun and friendly challenge and we all learn new things from each other every month. Welcome again!

exponent1 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:50 pm
Wes Kilbride wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Yes you're right. People will definitely use the synth's unique sounds and capabilities, but some also like to push the boundaries and experiment. Also, Sound design using oscillators and 'making a vibrating organ sound like a drum' are 2 different things. No one is doing that here.

This challenge and community is all about creative sound design, composition, mixing, mastering and everything in between. I don't see why it's a bad thing to try and make percussive sounds from synths even if the synths are not meant for that? Because that's exactly what this challenge is about, to compose a song, with or without drums using the chosen synth.

I hope you see the point I'm trying to make. But do participate cause it's a fun and friendly challenge and we all learn new things from each other every month. Welcome again!
Honestly, I don't see your point. I just see people trying to figure out how to make a drum out of something that isn't a drum just because they have been convinced no piece of music should exist without a drum track. And there's the ketchup and mustard we have to glop on everything.

Return to “Instruments”