Aurora FM - New Win(32/64) VSTi FM synthesizer - Introductory pricing

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Aurora FM

wow, sorry to hear that RyFi. Was just using Aurora this afternoon. Like others have said, hope this all works out quickly, easily and as well for you as can be expected in a situation like that.

That's terrible, wishing you all the best with recovery.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Damn that s***s RyFi. Hope you get it resolved soon.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

RyFi wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:56 pm Bad news, everyone!
Of course you have backed up everything to an external hd?

I bet he has, but this can happen whenever you expect it :(
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Jeez, that’s awful. As an IT professional for a small company, I resonate with this particular situation. Wish I was local — I’d offer to help out :(. Good luck, man. PM me if you get stuck somewhere; I might have answers.

satchnut wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm Jeez, that’s awful. As an IT professional for a small company, I resonate with this particular situation. Wish I was local — I’d offer to help out :(. Good luck, man. PM me if you get stuck somewhere; I might have answers.
That is very nice of you :tu:

Time for an update. Thank you all so much for the support and sympathy and offers to help! Fortunately I was able to deal with everything that could be dealt with and there was nothing anybody else could do to help. I at least had access to a family member's very old laptop and the first thing I did was download my latest source commits so even if there was a catastrophic GitHub failure, I'd at least have my latest code if not my full repo history.

I was finally able to succeed in getting a Win 10 instance installed on another drive. My previous system drive, an SSD, appears to have gone squanchy. As much as I'd love to loathe on Microsoft for "updating" my perfectly working computer into a brick, I probably have to acknowledge that it was a hardware failure that ultimately caused this nightmare. The drive continues to report as healthy with no problems, but every attempt to reinstall Windows on it failed (at the 90-something-% mark after an hour, of course... *sigh*). Needless to say I won't be using that drive for anything. (I'd remove it, but that necessitates taking the entire laptop apart and removing the motherboard to get access to the one drive bay that's hidden away on the bottom of the motherboard - SERIOUSLY! Utter madness...).

I have a fresh OS install, a fresh VC2019 (perfect opportunity to finally upgrade from 2017), and all my repos cloned locally once again. I lost about half a day of uncommitted work... I CAN LIVE WITH THAT!

What I really lost was all of the stuff that I deemed non-critical and chose to roll the dice with (not deliberately, just decision by indecision, inaction, procrastination, you know...). In hindsight, bad, stupid, awful, terrible move. :( Goddammit, me! Reaper projects of songs and song ideas, all of my games and save games, some personal documents (not sure what yet, the full extent hasn't hit me yet and I'm sure I'll keep having disheartening revelations...). But it's constrained to that kind of stuff. Ultimately, nothing that has harmed Aurora FM other than that half day of uncommitted work. Phew!

So I guess I'm once again back in action. There's actually one problem that the switch to VS2019 has revealed and I need to figure that out, but otherwise I'm able to build everything and pick up where I left off. Good!

Thanks again, all!
Aloysius wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:38 pm I don't ''believe' in the universe but if you want any of us to backup data for you, give us a shout via PM.
Filthy heathen acosmist, eh? That's okay, I have enough faith in a vengeful, spiteful universe that hates us for the both of us... :hihi:
SneakyBeats wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:36 am Of course you have backed up everything to an external hd?
Why of course not! What, do you think I'm NOT some kind of stupid self-sabotaging screwup?! Pfft...
satchnut wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:33 pm Wish I was local — I’d offer to help out :(. Good luck, man. PM me if you get stuck somewhere; I might have answers.
That's insanely kind of you, good sir - thank you!

Oh, one more thing:

All of you: don't be a RyFi -- go back up ALL of your important stuff right now!

Can anyone recommend good online secure cloud storage for backup (besides the free google's 8gb limit ) ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:08 pm Can anyone recommend good online secure cloud storage for backup (besides the free google's 8gb limit )
Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage is what I use. Most affordable and secure AFAIK. Be sure you encrypt data before it leaves your local computer system out into the great wide internet.

Whew! Well: I think that you have real fans here, RyFi - Aloysius said it exactly right: you certainly could have sent me a PM as well; and I would've found a block of time to help you - ASAP if not immediately.

First reaction when I read about your "fire" was that your HD went down - and what I've heard about SSD's is that they can "fail" in very odd ways. So I personally wouldn't trust the thing for anything - it'd be E-waste after what you've just been through.

I play No Man's Sky - a cutting edge; but boring old-people's game (j/k. Sort of.) Anyway: It crashes. And crashes. It's better now then it used to be; but it's bleeding edge - it has taught me the religion of the back-up - now part of my DNA.

@&$%$ game.

Bottom line: you actually got really lucky, RyFi. Like really lucky.

goldenanalog wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:36 am Bottom line: you actually got really lucky, RyFi. Like really lucky.
Oh, incredibly so! I am well aware of that! If I wasn't syncing my git repos to the cloud on a daily basis this disaster would've destroyed my synth. I've only been doing that for the last 6 months. :-o :dog: That's one thing that I smartened up about and started doing right. Phew! I am so grateful this didn't happen more than 6 months ago!

Although we all theoretically know how important backups are, we all have to learn it the hard way at least once, it seems. I know I did!

I'm glad everything worked out!

Return to “Instruments”