Softube Model 72 - Plugin + Modules for Softube Modular and Amp Room

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I tried it out against The Legend, Monark, and Poly-D (I also have Diva but didn't direct compare) and a few things stuck out:

1. Holy hell the presets are normalized quite loudly on the Model 72. I hate when developers target 0dbfs with presets.

2. The envelopes on the Model 72 were weird/different. There was one particular patch on Model 72 that I just couldn't replicate on the others. On the filter, it had a slow-ish attack, decay around the 600 mark, env depth at max, filter around 10 o'clock, and it was producing a fast resonant pluck on the attack that just wasn't happening elsewhere. Thought it was kind of interesting. Kind of like the envelope depth on the Model 72 wasn't as deep as the others, but also like the envelope timings and response were very different. Want to play around with that some more.

3. The feedback sounds great.

4. Overall, it's got a bit more grit to it than The Legend or even my Poly-D, making it more akin to Monark in being an aggressive sounding Moog.

Don't think I'll be buying but definitely will play around with the demo more.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:09 pm3. The feedback sounds great.

4. Overall, it's got a bit more grit to it than The Legend or even my Poly-D, making it more akin to Monark in being an aggressive sounding Moog.
I didn't want to get this, and even mocked the very idea of (yet another f**king) Minimoog, but gosh-golly I sure do like its sound. Totally agree about the feedback sounding fantastic and the advanced level of grit. That feedback seems like it can totally transform a patch into something wild and untamed, in a way that the other Mini emu's don't. Must play with this further.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:41 am

I didn't want to get this, and even mocked the very idea of (yet another f**king) Minimoog, but gosh-golly I sure do like its sound. Totally agree about the feedback sounding fantastic and the advanced level of grit. That feedback seems like it can totally transform a patch into something wild and untamed, in a way that the other Mini emu's don't. Must play with this further.
but putting this filter on random modules in Modular is fun tho. :hihi:

A couple of things right off the back that I'm not digging.
1, GUI is not resizable.
2. Keys are not moving up and down when I press a key on the controller.
3. It's not receiving midi patch change messages to change the patches.
4. Patch selection is not much to desire at all. Need some new programmers and a better selection.
5. When going from patch to patch Volume blast loud and some to soft no consistency.
6. Those keys need to be a little longer because that shorten key look just isn't doing it. Eye Candy is King:)
Other that that I like it and I'm in and going to buy and hopefully the few little quirks can be taken care of in an update sooner than later.

Mr LouisDCarroll Jr. wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:17 pm A couple of things right off the back that I'm not digging.
1, GUI is not resizable.
2. Keys are not moving up and down when I press a key on the controller.
3. It's not receiving midi patch change messages to change the patches.
4. Patch selection is not much to desire at all. Need some new programmers and a better selection.
5. When going from patch to patch Volume blast loud and some to soft no consistency.
6. Those keys need to be a little longer because that shorten key look just isn't doing it. Eye Candy is King:)
Other that that I like it and I'm in and going to buy and hopefully the few little quirks can be taken care of in an update sooner than later.
I wouldn’t buy anything from Softube with the aim of expecting any kind of updates. I own a bit of Softube, and besides maintenance updates for bugs and the preset browser Softube don’t add features to plug ins after release (and they admitted as much to me in an email).

I quite like the Patch collection. Way more than I do Legend, but I guess you can't please everyone.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:07 am I quite like the Patch collection. Way more than I do Legend, but I guess you can't please everyone.
rsp
No you can't. I even preferred the presets that came with NI Monark over the collection that comes with the Legend. And Monark is a synth with no effects. Like with 99% of Synapse Audio synths, the Legend patches seem to steer towards the trance side of things and they use reverb quite often.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I too preferred thr Monark patches ans agree with you re: Legend patches.
Rsp
sound sculptist

after sometime i gotta say i appreciate this the most in modular

This is my favorite Moog soft-synth by a mile. I was a bit disappointed at the lack of innovation, which seems to be the trend now. I guess if people just want straight emulations it works for them.

I agree with some others here, it works so well in a mix and sounds very good to my ears. I have the Behringer Model D to compare with too. Of course all the Moog emulations are quite similar. The Modular aspect is a bonus too as I quite like Softube Modular. Thanks for the promo code!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Does anyone find that the modules by themselves in modular sound better than the single instruments? I feel this way with system 72 and Heartbeat.

Raddler1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 pm Does anyone find that the modules by themselves in modular sound better than the single instruments? I feel this way with system 72 and Heartbeat.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but modular is not optimized like the individual instruments.

Raddler1 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:07 pm Does anyone find that the modules by themselves in modular sound better than the single instruments? I feel this way with system 72 and Heartbeat.
i dont know, not really.. I mean, i cant run 909 kick into 72 filter outside modular.
perpetual3 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but modular is not optimized like the individual instruments.

optimised in what manner?

Ploki wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:11 pm
i dont know, not really.. I mean, i cant run 909 kick into 72 filter outside modular.
perpetual3 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm

optimised in what manner?
IIRC, softube modular doesn’t do much to reduce CPU. It’s meant to use as much cpu as it “needs” to.

Return to “Instruments”