Dynaudio BM6A Classic vs BM5 mk III

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I am in the process of choosing new pair of studio monitors and have settled my choice between these two Dynaudio speakers - BM5 mk III or BM6A Classic.

My current monitors are a pair of Yamaha HS50 m. Have been using them for 8 years now, and as much as i grew to them, i feel the need of change with something that goes lower, with deeper bass and better dynamic representation.

Regardless of how many reviews and info are available for the BM5 MKIII's, this is not the case with the BM6A Classic, so i decided to ask you folks here.

I produce bass heavy electronic music, and have seen the dynaudio recommended as suitable for these types of music.

I am not very well informed about the different models of Dynaudio, so can you elaborate on which one will be better choice and why?

Are the BM6A Classic the same as what users on gearslutz reffer to as 'BM6A mk III' or is it a different speaker?

I know the BM5 mk III's have DSP crossover. Is that a 'bad' thing, or something to be avoided? Although many users praise them as very good speakers, should digital path be avoided ?

Also the BM6A Classic have half an inch smaller diameter of the woofer but go lower [41 Hz] than the BM5 mk III's [42 Hz], according to the techincal specifications.

No music gear store anywhere near me offers these two models, so i'd have to pick and order online, that is why i think i need to do my best of research beforehands.
So i will be very appreciative of any detailed help. The only Dynaudios local store has to offer are the Core 7, which are not suitable for my small room, and way out of my budjet in the first place. They sounded lovely though.
Are the BM5 MKIII and BM6A Classic anywhere near them.

If there's anybody that has been using or had the chance to test them side by side ...

BTW these are the BM6A Classic that i mean :

https://www.thomann.de/gb/dynaudio_bm6a_monitor.htm

Look here: https://www.dynaudio.com/professional-audio
In the menu there's a choice Pro Audio -> BM -> BM6A, BM15A & BM5 MkIII
There's also a menu choice Pro Audio -> Categories -> Classic Monitors, containing the same BM6A, BM15A & BM5 MkIII.
So me thinks "classic" just means the current popular range of DynAudio nearfield studio monitors.

Compare all the specs, look up what they mean.
These are very different monitors. Different drivers, different amps, different cross-overs...

I don't think you can make a proper decision without hearing them in your own studio.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

You're comparing two monitors that one of them is twice more expensive than the other.
Obviously, the BM6 is a better monitor.
The BM5 is a cut down version of the BM6. The BM6 is physically bigger, twice more powerful, and has better electronics.
I heard them side by size, and I had to drive the BM6 harder to get them into the working range. Which is a disadvantage for smaller studios. But, the BM6 sounded more open and neutral.
The BM6 classic version is one of the previous MK. It was a standard in many studios for like 20 years, so people got used to them and don't want any newer version. So, the BM6 MK3 is one of the successors of the BM6 classic, and this doesn't mean one is better than the other.

roman.i wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:37 pm You're comparing two monitors that one of them is twice more expensive than the other.
Obviously, the BM6 is a better monitor.
The BM5 is a cut down version of the BM6. The BM6 is physically bigger, twice more powerful, and has better electronics.
I heard them side by size, and I had to drive the BM6 harder to get them into the working range. Which is a disadvantage for smaller studios. But, the BM6 sounded more open and neutral.
The BM6 classic version is one of the previous MK. It was a standard in many studios for like 20 years, so people got used to them and don't want any newer version. So, the BM6 MK3 is one of the successors of the BM6 classic, and this doesn't mean one is better than the other.

Hey, @roman , thanks for your detailed reply. That's exactly the information i wasn't able to find anywhere.
Appreciate your help!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”