Experience with NiftyCase?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are some interesting cases eg. with integrated MIDI interface like this NiftyCase.
Is this integrated MIDI good enough (latency, stability) and what do you think about this flying bus board and the small size? Does anyone have experience with this case?

My first idea was this
nifty.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

if you do a search on the 2020 hw purchases thread, whyterabbyt grabbed one of the nifty bundles, case plus a couple modules, he seems very happy with it.

looking at your modules above, looks like a decent enough mono bass synth :tu:

personally, id look at maybe some different filters, the doepfer sem is lovely and not too expensive as is the wasp.
the sem will give you band pass and high pass too, the wasp also adds these but its diatinctive resonance too.
adding either one of these to the above would give you a little more versatility in sound, and may enhance the overall modular experience (choice!!!)

hope this helps :)

Yes, I had also some different ideas with a SEM or a CEM (Oberheim 24dB)
There are so many great modules, filters and stuff its a bit like in a candy shop :D

If I could add my two cents, I highly recommend an Expert Sleepers Disting, especially in a smaller case. That module is insanely useful.

4damind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:46 pm Yes, I had also some different ideas with a SEM or a CEM (Oberheim 24dB)
There are so many great modules, filters and stuff its a bit like in a candy shop :D
for sure.
it is quite freeing though, once you have a basic set up. even swapping out the odd filter, rather than adding, to save space, is easy enough with the doepfers, theyre all the same size, so just unplug at the module end, no need to even pull out the other modules to get inside.

and there is nothing like just seeing what you can do with what you have, modulating everything!!!! it can get quite wild even with a few modules :wheee:

you seem to have a good idea of what you want to build though,which is a good place to start, get a workable synth then add to it :tu:

bharris22 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 pm If I could add my two cents, I highly recommend an Expert Sleepers Disting, especially in a smaller case. That module is insanely useful.
This Expert Sleepers is a multimode module, right? So a bit like all-in one thing but all with digital algorithms?

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:58 pm
4damind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:46 pm Yes, I had also some different ideas with a SEM or a CEM (Oberheim 24dB)
for sure.
it is quite freeing though, once you have a basic set up. even swapping out the odd filter, rather than adding, to save space, is easy enough with the doepfers, theyre all the same size, so just unplug at the module end, no need to even pull out the other modules to get inside.

and there is nothing like just seeing what you can do with what you have, modulating everything!!!! it can get quite wild even with a few modules :wheee:

you seem to have a good idea of what you want to build though,which is a good place to start, get a workable synth then add to it :tu:
The problem with some Doepfers seems the depth. They have some moduls with about 75mm depths and most of the smaller cases (eg. Behringer Go) don't support such depth.
Btw. I saw Thorsten Q (Tangerine Dream) playing with this Vermona Random Rhythm and if he explains how he uses it for the background "clicking" sounds.. and there is the same module in the Softube Modular, so it was easy to test it.. wow, this opens a completely different universe :love:

yeah, i had an issue with a spring reverb. the module was fine, but the rca plugs pushed it beyond my cases limit :dog:
had to cut bits of the red and white rubber out, so i could angle the cable.
luckily that worked, but now im extra vigilant about depth. which i didnt even check before as id not even considered the fact there might be deeper modules than cases :oops:

4damind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:00 pm
bharris22 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 pm If I could add my two cents, I highly recommend an Expert Sleepers Disting, especially in a smaller case. That module is insanely useful.
This Expert Sleepers is a multimode module, right? So a bit like all-in one thing but all with digital algorithms?
Yes, that is correct. If you look at the manual available here (https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/disti ... dates.html), you can see all of the different functions it can perform (I think there are more than 60 now). Although digital algorithms, you may find that for certain patches you need just one more filter, or would like reverb, or a compressor, or one more LFO, etc. It is absolutely perfect for those functions, IMHO.

vurt wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:27 pm yeah, i had an issue with a spring reverb. the module was fine, but the rca plugs pushed it beyond my cases limit :dog:
had to cut bits of the red and white rubber out, so i could angle the cable.
luckily that worked, but now im extra vigilant about depth. which i didnt even check before as id not even considered the fact there might be deeper modules than cases :oops:
Ooh ;)
There are a lot of beautiful cases, even such great looking wood cabinets. Maybe there are the least problems with the A100 (Doepfer) concerning the dimensions, apart from that it is also great for the stage usage

@ 4damind,

Dude you live in Germany, the eurorack capital of the world. You have tons of case options available to you. :lol: If I were you, I would go out and find some nice synth shop and have a look around before buying anything.

4damind wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:00 pm
Yeah. I kind of find it's a mixed blessing -- it does a lot of different things, most of them very well. Probably a good module for modular beginners to get a feel for different kinds of modules/functions (although maybe VCV Rack is more the thing to do that now?) Some people wind up continuing to love it, others not so much because of the need for cheat sheets or the navigation through menus and lots of parameters etc.

I had a Disting mk4 originally, and did learn a bit from it. I kind of grew out of it / got annoyed with it and sold it. But then I got the Disting EX when that came out this year, because I figured the better display would be a big help. But I didn't enjoy using it, and recently sold it off to be replaced by a Mystic Circuits Ana and a Mutable Blinds, since those two cover most of what I was using the Disting for at that point.

But not everybody feels about it like I did. It's probably worth getting a mk4 to try out for a while, since the prices are really reasonable given everything it does -- unless you think you'd want the much more advanced sample playing capabilities of the EX, that is.

(I also didn't particularly like Pamela's New Workout or Ornament & Crime, but many people swear by both of those... it comes down to personal taste and what you need for the music you want to make, really).

pekbro wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm @ 4damind,

Dude you live in Germany, the eurorack capital of the world. You have tons of case options available to you. :lol: If I were you, I would go out and find some nice synth shop and have a look around before buying anything.
I don't think that I will find the accumulated knowledge and experience of KvR users in a local shop ;)
foosnark wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:57 am Yeah. I kind of find it's a mixed blessing -- it does a lot of different things, most of them very well. Probably a good module for modular beginners to get a feel for different kinds of modules/functions (although maybe VCV Rack is more the thing to do that now?) Some people wind up continuing to love it, others not so much because of the need for cheat sheets or the navigation through menus and lots of parameters etc.
You certainly get a lot of functionality for little money, but I also think the handling is complicated.

4damind wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:36 am
pekbro wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm @ 4damind,

I don't think that I will find the accumulated knowledge and experience of KvR users in a local shop ;)
No doubt that's true, I would hope that synth store guys would be knowledgeable, tho I can't say, as there are none where I live. It's super easy to make a eurorack case btw. I've heard mostly good
in regard to the nifty case, but I would still say that you get what you pay for. I did hear that they
will make good on any problems and are great in regard to customer service.

I never went for the disting or any doepfer modules myself, no reason in particular, just no interest for me.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”