Wavesfactory releases Echo Cat - Tape echo audio plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought this because I demoed it and there are some really great effects you can get with it, especially like the metallic sounds and when you set it in more chaotic modes, but one thing that struck me when trying it out on some samples I had was how dead it suddenly becomes between source sounds. It doesn't seem to have any self-perpetuating feedback whatsoever, everything just instantly dies. I can obviously add a secondary thing to cover that e.g. a ducking reverb, but wondering if that's the expected behaviour not knowing much about the real hardware unit. Other modelled echo unit plugins I have like the Pulsar Echorec and Arturia TAPE-201 don't seem to work like this.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:54 am I bought this because I demoed it and there are some really great effects you can get with it, especially like the metallic sounds and when you set it in more chaotic modes, but one thing that struck me when trying it out on some samples I had was how dead it suddenly becomes between source sounds. It doesn't seem to have any self-perpetuating feedback whatsoever, everything just instantly dies. I can obviously add a secondary thing to cover that e.g. a ducking reverb, but wondering if that's the expected behaviour not knowing much about the real hardware unit. Other modelled echo unit plugins I have like the Pulsar Echorec and Arturia TAPE-201 don't seem to work like this.
We clear the delay buffer when the DAW resets the audio. We do that so you can start fresh when you press play.

wavesfactory wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:05 am We clear the delay buffer when the DAW resets the audio. We do that so you can start fresh when you press play.
That makes sense, but I'm talking about something like the attached audio where I have one item containing one sample after another. When the audio on the first sample dips to zero I'd expect to hear at least some kind of trail echo on the version with Echo Cat imposed, but the sound just dies in an uncanny way.
without_echo_cat.zip
with_echo_cat.zip
and here's what it sounds like via Pulsar Echorec, note what happens when the first sample ends
with_echorec.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you safe?

clearing buffers is better as an option, it can really suck in a live situation

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:27 am
wavesfactory wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:05 am We clear the delay buffer when the DAW resets the audio. We do that so you can start fresh when you press play.
That makes sense, but I'm talking about something like the attached audio where I have one item containing one sample after another. When the audio on the first sample dips to zero I'd expect to hear at least some kind of trail echo on the version with Echo Cat imposed, but the sound just dies in an uncanny way.
without_echo_cat.zip
with_echo_cat.zip
and here's what it sounds like via Pulsar Echorec, note what happens when the first sample ends
with_echorec.zip
That's weird. What DAW are you using? Can you send me an screenshot or screencast of your DAW so I can see what's going on? Send it to info at wavesfactory dot com, thanks!

wavesfactory wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 am That's weird. What DAW are you using? Can you send me an screenshot or screencast of your DAW so I can see what's going on? Send it to info at wavesfactory dot com, thanks!
OK I've played with it a bit more and it seems it's just that the various Echo Cat presets mainly use low levels of Sustain and Output and so any echo after the source sound drops is fairly imperceptible, but I've chucked it at Melda MOscilloscope and can see there is some residual echo amplitude in there, it's just very low level.
I also note that if I ramp up the Sustain and Output then I can hear that echo though I'm not that keen on high levels of sustain on what I've tested so far as it seems to create a sine wave tone as a consequence.
I'm happy enough there's no bug, it's just part of the character of the Echo Cat that you can get the feedback to drop when the source drops. It's actually going to be pretty useful now I know how it works and like I said if I want that behaviour that has echo over the quiet bits I can just use ducking on a reverb or other echo effect.

Are you safe?

The latest patch changed the sound ever slightly.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 am The latest patch changed the sound ever slightly.
In what sense? We haven't changed anything critical. The saturation, frequency response, filters... everything is the same.

Love the fact that it includes Catifacts and Hiss controls but where is the Purr?

v1o wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 am The latest patch changed the sound ever slightly.
Maybe the tape degraded a little bit. :lol:

Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:47 pm This one is still pretty good
https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=36
But only 32 bit. Won't work on my Mojave iMac, for example.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Hello!

Echo Cat has been updated to version 1.0.2:
- Added: Native Apple Silicon support.
- Improved: bugs fixes and optimisations.
- Removed: OpenGL is unsupported.

You can update now for free downloading the latest version from the website or directly clicking on the auto-updater icon in the plugin itself.
https://www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/echo-cat

Also, we are currently running the SUMMER SALE with 25% OFF on everything until August, 14th.

wavesfactory wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:44 am Hello!

Echo Cat has been updated to version 1.0.2:
- Added: Native Apple Silicon support.
- Improved: bugs fixes and optimisations.
- Removed: OpenGL is unsupported.

You can update now for free downloading the latest version from the website or directly clicking on the auto-updater icon in the plugin itself.
https://www.wavesfactory.com/audio-plugins/echo-cat

Also, we are currently running the SUMMER :tu: SALE with 25% OFF on everything until August, 14th.
Been waiting for this. One of my favorite character delays. Thanks! :tu:

Return to “Effects”