Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I struggle with Reaper.

I call it the DAW for woke people.

It does EVERYTHING but it is not intuitive.

Designed for elitist wokers who know stuff inside out.

If you have anxiety or struggle with memory or just being a bit slow,forget it,this DAW is the master race of daws.

I just tried routing audio from a vsti track and I still could not get it to work,I wanted to try in real time.

I know you can build channels of audio from the VSTi in the FX options or rendering the vsti track as audio but I wanted to try the manual way but I could not get audio working at all.

I lmb dragged the routing from the vsti track to the audio track,tried ticking,unticking master send on either tracks,I tried every bloody thing but no bloody audio and that is Reaper in a nutshell,if you are not very cluey on these things it is looks down on you like the black dog.

Super woke daw.

What is the most intuitive logical daw for Windows?

Just does the everyday basics well?

I have memory problems so I put everything I need on contextual toolbars I bring up with a mouse button. Other DAWs don't let me do that.

yellowmix wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:11 am I have memory problems so I put everything I need on contextual toolbars I bring up with a mouse button. Other DAWs don't let me do that.
Yeah that's one of many good things about Reaper, my favorite is the track rendering options, best of the bunch. Comping and track takes? not so much.

Cubase has a dedicated comp tool but I find the workflows more or less equivalent. You marquee select in Cubase with the comp tool while in REAPER you position and split. But as the splits can be freely moved it's a wash in the end. Also helps to toggle track zoom to max to better see the take lanes.

What DAW has the best comp workflow? I'd love to see what it's like.

Painting notes in Reaper?????

I select notes in the midi editor to 1/4 notes.

Then I hold down Shft Alt to paint but it paints 1/32 notes.

Change the note placing again to whole notes,paint tool paints 1/32 notes and I am not mistakengly selecting the grid note lines.

Reaper,everything is a chore.

P.S. Painting must be broken when using the drum editor (named notes) mode and triangles.

yellowmix wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:46 am Cubase has a dedicated comp tool but I find the workflows more or less equivalent. You marquee select in Cubase with the comp tool while in REAPER you position and split. But as the splits can be freely moved it's a wash in the end. Also helps to toggle track zoom to max to better see the take lanes.

What DAW has the best comp workflow? I'd love to see what it's like.
There are many reasons marquee selecting is better, the main one is obvious, if you do subtly different things to the take selection is super quick compared to splits. Splits are much much more appropriate to locked tempo tracks, anything free form and it falls apart. I think people get used to limitations or conversely their style of playing is not affected by it. I think also if you're recording non tempo synced rock music, pretty much any marquee selection DAW will be better than Reapers rigid block system.
add to this the weirdness of how Reaper treats takes and you have an IMO disjointed mess compared to the other DAWs I use when comping, DP and Logic.

Smasha wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 am I struggle with Reaper.
I just tried routing audio from a vsti track and I still could not get it to work,I wanted to try in real time.
Many years ago I had Reaper license and tried to get this simple task to work but gave up in the end.

What made it worse was I asked for help on the Reaper forum and was told how easy it was.

At the time I also had Energy- XT and it was very easy to record VSTs live to audio in that DAW with just a mouse click or two.

you drag and drop the route button from one track to another and it creates a send. I don't think it's horribly arrogant or unfair to call that easy. click the route button on any track and it tells you all the sends to/from that track, their levels, what channels they're being sent to... it's a very transparent system because there's no unique track types, just tracks that can send audio or MIDI to channels on other tracks. clean and simple.

comping is definitely a weak spot. works great for basic tasks, quickly becomes a clusterfuck for anything more complicated.

dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 am
Many years ago I had Reaper license and tried to get this simple task to work but gave up
in the end. What made it worse was I asked for help on the Reaper forum and was told
how easy it was.
Well, I wouldn't accept that as an argument. Why?

1. The structure of the routing has to be learned in every DAW. It's difficult beforehand,
but once you've tried and understood, it's actually easy with all DAWs.

2. Routing is something that you define as a template and then actually never have to
worry about it again. So that's not a real criterion.

So that's why your argument is hardly understandable. However, there are deficits
in Reaper. I.e. certain things just don't work because they don't go into reaper.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:44 am
dellboy wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:05 am
Many years ago I had Reaper license and tried to get this simple task to work but gave up
in the end. What made it worse was I asked for help on the Reaper forum and was told
how easy it was.

1. The structure of the routing has to be learned in every DAW. It's difficult beforehand,
It's good style though to make things similar to software which is widely used. If Reaper, as usual, does it all very different to other DAW's, then learning how it works rather gets in your way.

That said, I can't judge it in this case, because I never fiddled much with routing in Reaper. I know though that Reaper does a lot of things differently to the main DAW's.
enroe wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:44 am 2. Routing is something that you define as a template and then actually never have to
If there are track templates for that, yes.

enroe wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:44 am

2. Routing is something that you define as a template and then actually never have to

So that's why your argument is hardly understandable. However, there are deficits
in Reaper. I.e. certain things just don't work because they don't go into reaper.

Its been a few years since I last tried it but my memory was of a little square box with in's and out's that you had to click to make connections.

I have Cubase Pro and had to look in the help and then google to try and work out how to do it. I also have Studio One Pro - it might be easier to do it in that DAW but my memory fails me.

I am not knocking Reaper, its much the same with most DAWs in that you have to do some looking to work out how to do it.

Energy-XT on the other hand was very intuitive because you have virtual wires to connect up and its easy peasy. Shame the Dev gave up on it as its still my favorite DAW.

I have a Mac now so I will give Logic a twirl to see if its easy to do there.
Last edited by dellboy on Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Routing audio from a VSTi track is super easy in Studio One.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:07 am Routing audio from a VSTi track is super easy in Studio One.
Yeah, I think you are right, its a matter of right clicking in the track somewhere isn't it ?

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:07 am Routing audio from a VSTi track is super easy in Studio One.
Yep, I just loaded Studio One and it took me a minute to route a VST to audio without resorting to a manual.

All DAWs should be that simple.

:tu:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”