Windows Update 2004 now available

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:01 am
jethrobull wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:01 am ... I can live without the update.
:o
10 Social Credit demerits and a week in re-education camp! For shame!! :x
:hihi:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

My 5 year old pc is "not ready yet" and it can stay not ready so far as I care.

I would be happy if they give up on new features and just fix bugs and security holes.

The only new features I use and like are the dark themes and giant mouse pointers, useful because of failing eyesight. Maybe if they would bring back user-definable font and size in menus. It used to be possible long ago and would save me some days having to use magnifying glass to operate menus (spidery small menu font rendered slightly darker gray on slightly lighter gray background only way it works in many programs).

Hell even if they kept the same font size drawing it black on white rather than gray on gray would be a blessing. Even better if you could also bold the menu font-- That is assuming that apparently MS doesnt have even one programmer smart enough any more to make the friggin menu font and menu font size/style globally user-adjustable in system preferences. :)

Too busy endlessly rewriting Edge which I never use, always run firefox. Or that awful replacement for win media player, when I use foobar2000. Or all those fantastic new ways to use the pc with my phone that I will never use. Windows cloud features I never use. That idiotic Cortana that I disabled from day 1. A seemingly endless list of new features useless as snakes suspenders.

Maybe they will eventually install a new feature that is useful and doesnt suck. Tis annoying that they routinely risk breaking old stuff I actually use in order to install yet more stoopid new features that I neither want nor need.

When I updated to 2004 I had the usual problem of deactivation of licenses because they think its a new computer.

The other problem is that every time my computer falls asleep and I awaken it the Wi-fi disconnects and has to be manually connected.

And my USB speakers disconnect. Very annoying. I have tried everything to fix these problems but have given up now.

Any major hiccups with 2004 version wrt music production and in general? The system is ready for update since last month, but thought to ask here before updating just in case I need to be wary of something. Thanks! :)

As far as I understand, after a certain period of time Windows 10 will eventually auto update the system to the new versions, right?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm Any major hiccups with 2004 version wrt music production and in general? The system is ready for update since last month, but thought to ask here before updating just in case I need to be wary of something. Thanks! :)

As far as I understand, after a certain period of time Windows 10 will eventually auto update the system to the new versions, right?
You can use a tool like Sledgehammer to lock update down, and update when YOU want.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:38 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm Any major hiccups with 2004 version wrt music production and in general? The system is ready for update since last month, but thought to ask here before updating just in case I need to be wary of something. Thanks! :)

You can use a tool like Sledgehammer to lock update down, and update when YOU want.
Thanks, but a bit too late this time. I already updated to 2004. Will keep this tool in mind next time. :)

Windows 10 October Update is out since Tuesday. :) Anyone updated yet? I've done so on my laptop, and updating my desktop right now. Haven't had any issues on the laptop, and I expect the same on my desktop.

I'm always using a USB stick made with the update tool, BTW, so I only have to download the update once to update all the computers here.

chk071 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:06 am Windows 10 October Update is out since Tuesday. :) Anyone updated yet? I've done so on my laptop, and updating my desktop right now. Haven't had any issues on the laptop, and I expect the same on my desktop.

I'm always using a USB stick made with the update tool, BTW, so I only have to download the update once to update all the computers here.
Just updated it and PC restarted fine. It was as quick as updating MS Defender antivirus patches. :)

I read somewhere that since builds over 2004, it is expected to be more stable.

The biggest problem I had with the half yearly updates were some third party drivers or software not working anymore, and I had to re-install them (Yamaha USB driver, and Terratec Komplexer), then they worked again. Other than that, no big issues I can recall really... some minor bugs in Windows itself (just like on any other OS). :)

IIRC, the Yamaha USB thing was even fixed in one of the latest updates for the driver, so, that's not an issue anymore either, I think. Oh, and I had the touchpad service software on my laptop, and the sound card service and Nvidia software on my desktop revert the settings, as usual, so, I had to set them up again... bit annoying TBH. But, as fas as I read, Microsoft works on a different way of doing the updates anyway, so, even that might be over soon as well.

I just hope I don't get into all that hassle, however small it could be. Thanks for the information though. Good to be aware of these things.

So far things look fine for me. Hopefully they will remain so.

Actually, looking at my post, it seems like quite the list. :) Guess I never realized, because I'm simply used to do a bit of problem solving. The way Microsoft is doing the updates on Windows 10 (rather like a new installation) is surely a bit more issue prone than "normal" OS updates. Not sure why they do it that way, but, I guess there has so be a good reason for it.

I can see how it poses a problem if you're a normal user, but, with a bit of experience, it's all no problem really. I'm not really a computer geek myself, but, I didn't have problems solving the things which didn't quite work so far.

Yeah, even I like to troubleshoot PC problems, be it hardware or software. I am not an expert, but coming from an electronics background, way beyond a normal user for sure. :) But sometimes it gets a bit too much, because ultimately we have the PC for making music and not just causing and solving PC problems.

I personally like the way we are getting these updates. Microsoft would always want to minimize any headaches caused due to updates, so they would have a strong reason for doing what they are doing. Also, I feel that with Windows 10 the need for having to format PC and reinstall OS has been reduced drastically. I remember the nightmares caused due to this in the past (XP, Vista, 7), which I surely don't need to explain. :)

As long as things don't break beyond control with updates, we are good.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:46 am Microsoft would always want to minimize any headaches caused due to updates, so they would have a strong reason for doing what they are doing.
Well, it is to fix what they should have thought of before releasing the new features in the first place. That in turn become security risk they never thought of. Bugs in one thing, but that was 1 or 2 service packs in the past OS versions.

And MS has become so out of touch with people using the PC as a daw as one category. The FLS issue now resolved, but for years were an obstacle for many as they could not load more plugins.

Why did they introduce this - they didn't know how the PC was used.

Microsoft know what they are doing?

I got a cheap windows 10 laptop recently, just to know I can do online purchases on some places.

But it is essentially spyware. You are tricked into associating the pc with a Microsoft account under some presumption to save things in the cloud...syncronised..bla bla bla....removing that nag screens still appear about this and that.
- we will now assist you to setup your pc properly
Luckily I found a Skip button for that, will see if remains gone.

Microsoft
- we want to be sure this is you?
How much crap did we have to do to ensure that.
- I just logged in using double security something and there is still hesitation?

Some things in Task Scheduler I am not allowed to disable - then who has authority to do that?

For some reason Control Panel is divided into Settings and Control Panel?
You were used to find everything under Control Panel.
I was just confused I did not find what I used to find there.

Search field to find a setting - good thinking.

Seems alright for the most part. But the network thing you must remember to turn off also - the connect automatically always goes by what you had going last time used. That worked fine in a windows 7 laptop I have.

I have followed tips to stay on 1909 update and never do 2004 or later. Will see if that works at least a year or two - and I might get a new daw pc.

Otherwise I am looking at getting a Behringer Wing and use that as a portastudio, back to my old roots. Just confused that the module installed that do SD-cards needed for storage prohibit inserting module that do optical ADAT. So rack unit preamps is what I try to solve.

Here's the magic solution to all your problems: Use Linux. :P

Or just quit whining. Heh.

chk071 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:11 am Here's the magic solution to all your problems: Use Linux. :P
Yes, I think Wing is using that. :D ;)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”