studio lighting on a budget

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

first post in ages in here, it hasn't changed a bit :hihi:

We live in a great age for lighting, I dont care much for boring white lights (I call them reality lights), I really dislike all fluorescent lights (too sterile and of course noise) so I have always looked for alternatives...once we found a traffic light pole knocked down on a back country road in Mass in the wee hours. The yellow light in the RYG was smashed, the entire enclosure was toast. We removed it from the side of the road in the middle of the night so no little kids might sneak out and hurt themselves on it, we decided our apartment was the best place to safe keep them. :hihi: We replaced the bulbs in the green and red...the bulb that was in the green was so bright it was like a sci fi movie, our whole apartment from outside was glowing an eerie green :hihi:

I have had colored light bulbs of all types, black lights, xmas lights, rope lights, I have 6 color changing light bulbs with bases I made for them, they wash the walls some with color

living room

studio (with rope lights too)

They make no noise, they are cheap to run and I like them. Then I saw these led strips recently.

I bought two, I really dont know if this is a good brand or how well they will last but I am getting two more (price is right) and so far it's actually for my living room and night lights for my hall. These can be cut to length pretty much, I bought special clips, they have contacts on both sides and every few inches where you cut there are copper contacts (in the pic you can see them). I did 128' in well under 30 minutes.

Again I dont know the brand, but it was cheap and I am liking the technology, white is interesting, quite bright but not bright, plenty of light though. The colors are great but I knew that because it's like my bulbs. I plan to get diffusers eventually and hide the dots, they sell a few types, maybe 75 bux to do the room. I plan on waiting though because I am getting a compressor, finishing nail gun and staple gun this winter with the goal to start a multi year project that will see my living room, studio, hall and at least my bedroom with all new walls...it's the 1950s wallboard crap now with granny wallpaper. Much of my walls will have considerable knotty pine (I'm thinking half way up wood, the top half sheet rock painted dark tones). Then I will be stripping down the molding and then I will think about doing a pro job on these lights.

So far these cheap lights are not so bad, worth my investment and I think others might want to think about this for studio lighting, set the mood as you like :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

In the streaming community people like to use cheap flood lights like these for accent lighting:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HBS9SWZ

They come under many different brand names but they are all essentially identical. Their original purpose was for exterior accent lighting but they also work exceptionally well indoors. I use a set of four whenever I live stream one of my lectures.

Because they are made for outdoors they are waterproof which could come in handy in case a jam session gets a bit out of control. :)
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

those are cool thanx...perhaps the spring, I wonder if those would spook wildlife.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”