List(!!!!) of synths with per-voice (polyphonic) distortion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Discovery Discovery Pro

Dencheg wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:24 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:06 pm well, I am a Dune user, and it def doesn't have per note distortion, that's why I was asked if ppl were getting confused, or if I got the wrong end of the stick about the technical details of the question
It does. The insert effect is placed next to filter on the UI, but in fact it's a per-voice insert.
but it's not "per voice" as in for each note pressed. (which is what the thread is about, supposedly)

if you have evidence for this, i will happily say I'm wrong

AnX wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:09 am but it's not "per voice" as in for each note pressed. (which is what the thread is about, supposedly)
I also believe that the effect in the filter module is per voice/note pressed. The fx chains 1 and 2 seem to be applied after the summing.

I also did a quick Google Search and found this:
We have a composite- oscillator module that feeds into a per-voice dual-filter module that feeds into an all-voices dual-line FX chain
Source: https://soundbytesmag.net/review-dune-3 ... pse-audio/

Idk about Dune 3.

If you figure that you have a possible max configuration 8 voices:
1. Each of these "voices" has a max 66 oscillators each (32 in the 1st 2, the this + noise)
2. Each "voice" has 2 filters plus an fx filter (the fx filter has distortion)
3. If you set the max polyphony to no more than 8, generally you would have 1 "voice" per key press. Each voice is just layered together 8x
4. If you set the the the filter fx in each layer to a different amt, type or setting, you COULD in theory have "per voice distortion"

To give an example, if you set D3 to init, set poly to 4, activate 2 layers/voices, make the osc setting different on each layer (doesn't have to be extreme, just set 2 oscs in each "voice" to a saw/pulse), turn em down to about 75%, activate the fx filter and set each of those to a different type of distortion, let's say 1 ratecrush and the other foldback soft and then play and listen. You'll notice if you're playing a 4 note chord, with 1 "voice" soloed at a time, with some moderate amounts set on the distortion it doesn't sound like much of a distorted mess. You can hear the fundamentals of each of those notes and the distortion is more or less stay in a certain range depending on the amount of distortion you apply. (if you turn both voices back on, they blend together). Now, turn those fx filters off and listen to one of the voices except THIS time activate ratecrush in the FX1 module (make sure FX1 is activated for the voice that you're soloing). Because this is an insert effect for the ENTIRE voice, the ratecrush sounds way more distorted because all of the notes of a 4 poly chord are being effected at once vs.ndividually.

I'm taking a WILD guess, but if you think about D3 as having this huge 8-voice paradigm instead of thinking of it on the oscillator level, it may suffice to say that what is kind of experiment yields is a type of a per-voice distortion. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

you are confusing layers with voices

imagina an analogue poly synth with 8 note poly. each note has its own osc/filter/amp, and every time you press a note, those lines are triggered

in D3, if you use just one layer, and set poly to 16, everything in that layer is triggered for every note pressed, there are not 16 seperate lines

mdstudio wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:57 am
AnX wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:09 am but it's not "per voice" as in for each note pressed. (which is what the thread is about, supposedly)
I also believe that the effect in the filter module is per voice/note pressed. The fx chains 1 and 2 seem to be applied after the summing.

I also did a quick Google Search and found this:
We have a composite- oscillator module that feeds into a per-voice dual-filter module that feeds into an all-voices dual-line FX chain
Source: https://soundbytesmag.net/review-dune-3 ... pse-audio/

again, the term voices here is referring to layers

mdstudio wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:57 am I also believe that the effect in the filter module is per voice/note pressed. The fx chains 1 and 2 seem to be applied after the summing.
Yes that is correct. Dune 3 has both per-voice distortion (within the filter section), and a distortion located in the FX bus section for processing the entire output signal.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:24 am
mdstudio wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:57 am I also believe that the effect in the filter module is per voice/note pressed. The fx chains 1 and 2 seem to be applied after the summing.
Yes that is correct. Dune 3 has both per-voice distortion (within the filter section), and a distortion located in the FX bus section for processing the entire output signal.

Richard
voice = layer

Right..... if you set it up that way. This is THINKING traditionally analog. And in that respect, you are 100 percent correct. You can use 1 layer and have the polyphony set at 16 and it will give you 16 voices with no osc/filter or amp control.

BUT... if you consider that each of the layers are just 1 huge complex voice it'll change the way you view how you set it up. Let's say you want a 4 layer sound where each layer is being distorted differently. No problem, setup up 4 different layers with different fx filters in each and set your polyphony to 4. It will fire all 4 notes at once yes, but each layer IS the voice. They are just layered on top of each other (and to hear them all you have to do is solo out each layer).

It seems like I'm just bullshittin with the language, but if you really listen to the fx filters when you play a chord, you can tell it's not just an insert effect, because the filters are per-voice. This is the cool ting about D3, it's whole character can change depending on how you look at it.
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

the distortion in VPS Avengers Filter bus is polyphonic

the distortion in VPS Avengers Filter bus is polyphonic

I know it's per layer (voice) but even so, if you play a 3 note chord (with say 3 layers activated) , it doesnt assign each note to a single layer, you are essentially playing 9 voices with 3 layers

its the terminology in D3 which confuses ppl

the OP was, afaics, asking about "per note" distortion.

AnX wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:04 am the OP was, afaics, asking about "per note" distortion.
It reads per-voice in the thread title :) But ihmo it is also irrelevant. The point of having per-voice distortion is simply to avoid the "mess" that may occur when playing chords through a master distortion effect. With per-voice distortion, this does not happen and it does not matter how many layers you use. Multiple layers just add more flexibility, you could have some voices distorted but not others, or use different amounts of distortion, etc.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Melda MSoundFactory really excels at per-voice processing, and has quite a few things I've not seen anywhere else. As well as per-voice distortion, saturation and amp simulation, it has per-voice chorus/flange/phaser/frequency shift/pitch shift/feedback delay/dynamic EQ/compression/transient processing/bit reduction/granular processing/wave folding and wave shaping. It even has per-voice reverb!

Richard_Synapse wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:41 am
AnX wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:04 am the OP was, afaics, asking about "per note" distortion.
It reads per-voice in the thread title :) But ihmo it is also irrelevant. The point of having per-voice distortion is simply to avoid the "mess" that may occur when playing chords through a master distortion effect. With per-voice distortion, this does not happen and it does not matter how many layers you use. Multiple layers just add more flexibility, you could have some voices distorted but not others, or use different amounts of distortion, etc.

Richard
the example the OP gave was repro5, which works exactly like an analogue synth, so....

even with just one layer, playing a chord of 3 notes, they all use the same filter effect distortion

not sure which bit of that is hard to understand

AnX wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:20 am
Richard_Synapse wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:41 am

Richard
the example the OP gave was repro5, which works exactly like an analogue synth, so....

even with just one layer, playing a chord of 3 notes, they all use the same filter effect distortion

not sure which bit of that is hard to understand
@Anx, as you did not code Dune3, you should accept that Richard is saying that the filter effect distortion is per voice (Not the distorsion on the FX bus)

Return to “Instruments”