EMU 1212m/1616m on Windows 7 - The Thread to End All Other EMU Threads!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

auron » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:44 pm

...I tried the _0022 drivers as well and i didnt work, but the _0019 does. But have a closer look to the files , in the _0022 driver folder there are files missing look at the picture. A lot of them are those .dat files which are also in that csv-list. So maybe that folder must be mixed together with the _0019 folder.
auron,

I noticed this issue myself and copied all the "missing" .dat files from the _0019 folder to the _0022 folder on my system before running a modified script against a "22" .csv file and only after that exercise failed did I conclude that the _0022 drivers were not going to help us even adding in the missing .dat files from the _0019 folder. since the _0019 drivers DID work again, I decided not to spend any more time trying to troubleshoot why the _0022 drivers didn't work properly. I imagine the hardware is not similar enough. Perhaps for the "HD" interface they replaced one or more of the processor chips that the previous X-Fi Titanium boards had in common with our old interfaces. But even the "HD" interface for which the _0022 are for, is now an "Archived" product under Creative's support page.

Creative milked this tech for all it was worth but don't stand behind these products and that makes me never want to purchase another Creative product.

Rawl

Hey Rawl,

Really Big :tu: for all you're work to make it possible for all EMU users to get their interface working with WIN10 (updates). The only thing I needed was to make EMU/ASIO work with Cubase 10.5. I will try you're new patch and will let you no the outcome of this install.

FJazz

FJazz,

You are welcome! I expect that you will need to apply the Registry Edit in order to get 64 bit ASIO drivers to show up in 64 bit Cubase 10.5. See my next post about shortcuts...

Rawl

Update on re-installation of Emu drivers:

Yesterday afternoon, a customer asked me to get his Emu PCI interface (1212 I think) remotely via remote control of his Windows PC. I was able to do so without going into "Safe Mode" or uninstalling his drivers or PatchMixDSP software. It did require a reboot.

1. I installed the 2.30 Beta drivers.
2. I rebooted his machine.
3. I right-clicked on the PatchMixDSP icon in the system tray (which had a red exclamation point) and selected "Exit"
4. I checked how his E-mu interface was listed under Device Management and determined it was the "long name"
5. I downloaded the Temp.rar file, extracted it and copied the contents to the C:\temp folder
6. I ran PowerShell "As Administrator and then
A. entered the "set-executionpolicy unrestricted -scope localmachine" command and entered "A" for all
B. Changed to the C:\temp folder using the "cd c:\temp" command
C. Ran the "EMU_Driver_Fix-LongDeviceName_19.ps1" script
7. All script commands returned green
8. The existing PatchMixDSP application restarted automatically and now shows all hardware as available.

This tells me that it is not always necessary to:
1. Un-install drivers or the PatchMixDSP application
2. Re-Install drivers in "Safe Mode" or
3. Run the Powershell script in "safe Mode".

to have success. I was able to successfully test his interface in his 32 bit Cubase 5 selecting the ASIO drivers.

For those using 64 bit ASIO host applications I believe you will probably still need to apply the Registry Edit as well.

Thought some would like to know these short cuts...

Rawl

初めまして。
私は日本人で日本語しか話せません。
これはgoogle翻訳を利用して書いています。

私はE-MU 1212m PCI Firewire Versionを使用しています。
私のPC環境は
Win10 64bit Pro (1909)/CPU Phenom II X6 1065T/Memory 8GB。

・EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exeをインストール。
safe modeで実行してインストール↓
//XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019
//EMU_Driver_Fix-ShortDeviceName_19.ps1
//FilesToReplace_19.csv
・EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exeをインストール。

ASIO入力出力とWAVE出力は正常に機能していますが、WAVE入力が異常の状態です。
WDM,WASAPI,MMEの全ての入力にノイズがのるか音が出ないかという状態です。
PacthMixでWAVE HOSTにAUX SENDの設定は済んでいます。
WAVE HOSTが正常に機能していないように思われます。

皆さんもこのような状態なのですか?
Windowsサウンドの録音はできていますか?
ご教授よろしくお願いします。

Nice to meet you.
I am Japanese and can only speak Japanese.
This is written using google translate.

I'm using the E-MU 1212m PCI Firewire Version.
My PC environment is
Win10 64bit Pro (1909) / CPU Phenom II X6 1065T / Memory 8GB.

-Install EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe.
Run in safe mode and install ↓
// XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019
//EMU_Driver_Fix-ShortDeviceName_19.ps1
//FilesToReplace_19.csv
-Install EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe.

ASIO input / output and WAVE output are functioning normally, but WAVE input is in an abnormal state.
It is a state where there is noise or no sound at all the inputs of WDM, WASAPI, and MME.
AUX SEND has been set for WAVE HOST in Pacth Mix.
WAVE HOST does not seem to be working properly.

Are you all in this situation?
Are you able to record Windows sounds?
Thank you for your professor.

l_maseroni wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:36 pm Has anyone ever connected an EMU to a notebook with a PCI / USB adapter?
nope and never seen one. I doubt it even exists because of electrical (power) and signaling (speed/latency/collision).

But I used and use the cardbus version with:
- cardbus to expresscard adapter
- cardbus to express card adapter to pcie adapter in akitio node due thunderbolt 3 chassis
with the latest versions of Windows after doing as described in this forum.

that's the only way to go on a notebook that doesn't have a cardbus slot.

Weird thing is that I tried to replace the cardbus->EC adapter->PCIe adapter with the original PCIe EM8982 (so: EM8982->akitio node duo->TB3 port on laptop) and Windows returns an error initializing the PCIe to PCI bridge of the EM8982 while linux sees the card without a problem :( I had the same problem back in time on a dual socket workstation depending on the slot the card was placed into and apparently there's nothing I can do about it :( :(

Last edited by aletib on Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:03 am, edited 4 times in total.

smg49 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:54 am Hi. I have been following you guys for a while now. Excellent job sherwoodsound and ClubHouseKey!
I have the 1616m PCMCIA version.
I held back upgrading my old laptop for years because I knew that the 1616m would not work on newer systems.
I have tried UAD's stuff (apolloX4) as well as MOTU.
As far as I can see there is no mixing + fx console that comes CLOSE to the versatility of patchmixDSP.
My question:
1. My new laptop has Thunderbolt 3.0 and is running windows 10. However, there is no PCMCIA slot. Is there any way I can get the 1616m system card to work on my newer PC? PCMCIA adapter? Any Solutions?
2. If not :-( , which console software / interface is the most similar to the 1616m / patchmixDSP software?

Thanks,
Shmuel.
been using the card with 2 systems through TB3: Dell Precision 5510 and 5530. See my previous message for details. Sonnet also produces a TB2 to expresscard adapter. Bought one on ebay but sent it back as it wasn't working: I don't know if it was the TB3 to TB2 adapter or the TB3 to ECthat wasn't working.

Diego_R wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am Don't you guys ever had to deal with the infamous choppy recording bug with your E-MU card on recent 64bit Windows and more than 3.5GB of RAM ?

If you don't know what bug I am talking about (and you are lucky then), E-MU drivers have this weird bug on some computers when you have over 3.5GB of RAM, playback is still ok but recording gets choppy, and when you zoom in on the recorded waveform you see that it is full of these little holes :
emu_recording_full_of_holes.png

I see that this bug was talked about here several years ago : viewtopic.php?t=371322 , as well as on some other websites, but nobody seem to have ever found a solution.

And unfortunatly I happen to have this infamous bug myself since over a year now, it started right after I upgraded from 3GB of RAM and XP 32bit to 5GB of RAM and Win7 64bit.

I have tried many driver+patchmix versions combinations, setting the same samplerate in Windows and Patchmix, but nothing does.

I noticed that everytime, right after I uninstall and reinstall the driver, it works for some minutes, then the bug appears and never goes away, until I uninstall and reinstall it again.

I searched throught the pages. Maybe this on page 12 was related :
Skupje wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:14 pm 3. Do IRQ assignments on the motherboard cause most of the problems (BSODs, pops & crackles) that people are experiencing? Would moving their card to another slot help?
4. Does Windows 7's automatic driver install process seem to interrupt the proper driver installation and then cause issues? Is there a way to turn this off so that we know for sure something strange isn't happening when we are installing drivers?
5. Does Windows 7's sound configuration settings (Sound -> Properties -> Advanced -> Set your sample rate) & system sound cause issues?

Same here the recording buffer is running out "gapping". Maybe the newer DS drivers have different buffer sizes? I do get it to work using ASIO.
I am still experiencing this problem... Still no solution ?

Diego_R wrote: ↑Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am
Don't you guys ever had to deal with the infamous choppy recording bug with your E-MU card on recent 64bit Windows and more than 3.5GB of RAM ?
I have not seen this bug but I confess I am not regularly using my Emu card equipped machine much anymore. And when I do, I mainly use it with VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) where no sound card ASIO or otherwise comes into play.

Instead it acts a VEP server which hosts VST plugins, gets MIDI from the main DAW machine where there is a VEP VST "plugged" in to that machine which sends MIDI and receives the audio. This is particularly useful for using those old 32 bit VST's in a 32 Bit VEP server instance sending audio back to Cubase Pro 11 which is 64 bit only without any bridging software such as JBridge.

Rawl

rawl747 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:22 pm
Diego_R wrote: ↑Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am
Don't you guys ever had to deal with the infamous choppy recording bug with your E-MU card on recent 64bit Windows and more than 3.5GB of RAM ?
I have not seen this bug but I confess I am not regularly using my Emu card equipped machine much anymore. And when I do, I mainly use it with VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) where no sound card ASIO or otherwise comes into play.

Instead it acts a VEP server which hosts VST plugins, gets MIDI from the main DAW machine where there is a VEP VST "plugged" in to that machine which sends MIDI and receives the audio. This is particularly useful for using those old 32 bit VST's in a 32 Bit VEP server instance sending audio back to Cubase Pro 11 which is 64 bit only without any bridging software such as JBridge.

Rawl
Interesting trick.
For my part I haven't replaced my good old computosaur and the E-MU 0404 with anything newer, for they just still do everything I want. Well, everything except recording now. I rarely record anything so it was not that much a big problem to me so far, but I have an antique synth and I wanted to sample it now.
There are not many tricks I can use in this case. I could just enable the integrated audio chip of my motherboard and record with it, but it sucks having a rather good quality audio card and having to record with the motherboard chip because of a stupid bug... I will try just removing some RAM, hoping that the bug really only happens with over 3GB, but how stupid is it to have to remove some ram when you want to record something... ( I am also considering giving up and buying a cheap usb audio card, but I am not sure if the recording quality would be as good as the venerable 0404 or even just better than the motherboard chipset anyway. )
Well, this is why I was hoping that someone here had found how to fix this bug. By the way, I have tested billions of drivers and patchmix versions combinations and the bug was happening with all.

Diego_R wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:26 pm
Diego_R wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:11 am Don't you guys ever had to deal with the infamous choppy recording bug with your E-MU card on recent 64bit Windows and more than 3.5GB of RAM ?

If you don't know what bug I am talking about (and you are lucky then), E-MU drivers have this weird bug on some computers when you have over 3.5GB of RAM, playback is still ok but recording gets choppy, and when you zoom in on the recorded waveform you see that it is full of these little holes :
emu_recording_full_of_holes.png

I see that this bug was talked about here several years ago : viewtopic.php?t=371322 , as well as on some other websites, but nobody seem to have ever found a solution.

And unfortunatly I happen to have this infamous bug myself since over a year now, it started right after I upgraded from 3GB of RAM and XP 32bit to 5GB of RAM and Win7 64bit.

I have tried many driver+patchmix versions combinations, setting the same samplerate in Windows and Patchmix, but nothing does.

I noticed that everytime, right after I uninstall and reinstall the driver, it works for some minutes, then the bug appears and never goes away, until I uninstall and reinstall it again.

I searched throught the pages. Maybe this on page 12 was related :
Skupje wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:14 pm 3. Do IRQ assignments on the motherboard cause most of the problems (BSODs, pops & crackles) that people are experiencing? Would moving their card to another slot help?
4. Does Windows 7's automatic driver install process seem to interrupt the proper driver installation and then cause issues? Is there a way to turn this off so that we know for sure something strange isn't happening when we are installing drivers?
5. Does Windows 7's sound configuration settings (Sound -> Properties -> Advanced -> Set your sample rate) & system sound cause issues?

Same here the recording buffer is running out "gapping". Maybe the newer DS drivers have different buffer sizes? I do get it to work using ASIO.
I am still experiencing this problem... Still no solution ?
I have 20 GB of RAM on my Win7 (x64), and have not had this problem. @Diego_R in 2019, it appears you had "5 GB of RAM"; I'd be more inclined to believe that's the issue than some sudden problem with a system that had been running fine before he went to the 64-bit version of Windows. Some systems need paired sticks of RAM. Dropping back to 4 GB for a test would be the first thing I'd do -- especially if that 4 GB of RAM is matched in speed and latency.

And ASIO should be the only thing you use with the E-MU cards. Anything else will cause latency issues (pops and clicks) long before ASIO does.

That said, if it works shortly after re-installing, the issue isn't IRQs or any of that, and probably not the RAM, either. You'll want to look at what else you have running on that machine.

It would also help to know which motherboard and processor you have, along with how much RAM you currently have -- and just as important, if that RAM is matched for speed and latency. Also, are you using ASIO, MME or something else? Finally, which specific version of Windows are you using, and what else do you have running on your PC (such as anti-virus, Wi-Fi and other things that run in the background).

Forgive me if you mentioned this somewhere back in the thread; these threads become difficult to follow on my phone, as you can imagine -- especially ones going back 15-18 months. ;)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Yes, my ram is unpaired. I needed more ram along the years but old DDR2 became way too much expensive for what it is, so I ended up with three identical Samsung 1GB 800MHz and one Qumox 2GB 800MHz, I do not know about their latencies though. I did not know that it could be a problem, aside from losing dual-channel. (and by the way, oddly, at startup the motherboard still says "dual channel mode". I once wanted to force it off to try but I did not find the setting in the bios.)

The motherboard is an Asrock P43Twins1600 with Intel P43 and ICH10 chipset. The audio chip, lan and floppy ports all are disabled. The CPU is a Core 2 Duo E8400. Nothing is overclocked. Nothing gets hot neither.
In PCIexpress there is a GeForce 9500GT.
In PCI (old ones, not express) is the E-MU 0404.
In SATA ports there are a 128GB SSD (which was added quite recently so it can't be causing the problem) and a Samsung SpinPoint 1TB hard disk.
In USB ports there are an old wifi dongle, an old Wacom Intuos 3 drawing tablet, and a Dell U2412M display which also serves as an usb hub.
The original PSU was a 300W Antec, it passed away and was replaced by a 400W BeQuiet.
It runs Windows 7 64 Familly Premium SP1.

( Yeah, I know, my computer is obsolete, but that old thing still does everything I want, never crashed once in over twelve years, and it is nearly noiseless even at night to cap it all, so I like it. ;) )

For recording I use an antique copy of Cool Edit Pro (Adobe Audition's ancestor) which does not support ASIO, it uses "wave" as input device. Audio sources that I tried were Cubase 5 (running in ASIO but sending sound to wave in patchmix), winamp, vlc...

The only stuff always running in background are SpeedFan (to display temperatures), CleanMem (ram optimizer), Patchmix, and WordPad (my todo list). I tried with SpeedFan, CleanMem and WordPad closed.
Nothing else. I don't like stuff to waste resources. I also disabled all unnecessary services, including Windows Update. I just checked in task list, there are only the few Windows stuff that can't be shut down without causing a blue screen. No antivirus running at all. (I only do a scan every two or three months with an antivirus which does not need to be installed.)

Yes, it always works for a short time after reinstall, then never ever.

No problem. Thank you for taking care of my problem. :)
Too bad other people who were experiencing this problem seem to have just gave up in the meantime, we could have compared our systems to find out. Now it seems that I am the only one left...

Well, it sounds like you know what you're doing with the machine, which is a good start! I'm not familiar with "Windows Family Premium" however; where did you get this?

It's too bad you're not closer. I have plenty of 2-GB sticks of DDR2 that I've taken out of dying computers over the years (I'm a computer consultant during the day).

That said, let's look at a few things:

1. When Windows is up and running, and with whichever audio program open that you usually use, how many processes and how much RAM is in use on your computer? How big is your swapfile and is it on the SSD or the HDD?

2. Do you have a reliable list of which Services you disabled? I disable a lot of Services on Win7 and Win10 machines all the time, but you have to be careful not to "cut too close to the bone" and disable something Windows keeps trying to use. Did you follow one of the on-line "streamline" guides? If so, do you know which one you used?

3. Can you run Cubase 5 reliably with ASIO without switching to the other audio protocols (Wave, MME, etc.?) If you can, how long can you go before you start having problems again? You may have to re-install everything one more time to get it to work before using Cubase 5. And then, you may have to just stay in Cubase 5 as long as you can, until you start experiencing the same problems again. Whether you do or don't have the same problems again, that tells us something.

4. For as long as you can hold out, can you remove that 1-GB stick of RAM, and all the USB stuff that you don't need? Wi-Fi is particularly problematic in creating latency issues, and definitely turn off CleanMem, as it's constantly calculating the RAM in use and in cache, compressing and or reserving or releasing RAM. This takes up a LOT of processor cycles. Turn off SpeedFan, too. If nothing has gotten hot by now, it's not going to get hot in the next few days while you do these tests, either. :wink:

Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and might actually run on your machine. If it does, it could replace Cubase 5, if you'd like. Audacity is also free, can use ASIO (and VST plug-ins) and could replace Cool Edit Pro. I'm not trying to get you to throw out what works for you or replace your hardware; I'm just trying to get you to use ASIO for your entire workflow (if possible), since it's much more efficient than any of the Microsoft-provided audio protocols.

If you can provide me the numbers I asked for in question 1, the list of Services you disabled in question 2, and try the experiments I outlined in questions 3 and 4 to see what results you get, we might be able to find out what's going on with your machine.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Diego_R

( I am also considering giving up and buying a cheap usb audio card, but I am not sure if the recording quality would be as good as the venerable 0404 or even just better than the motherboard chipset anyway. )
If you do decide to get a new "cheap" interface, you might consider a Focusrite USB interface. I have a 1st gen Scarlett 18i20 but there are much smaller (less channels) Focusrite interfaces that are not that expensive and I have found the quality to be pretty close to what you are used to with your Emu card.

More importantly, Focusrite seems to maintain and update their ASIO hardware drivers better than Creative did with the Emu line.

I also liked that they had a separate mixing software application similar to PatchMixDSP. I can even record Windows Audio playback from other applications similar to how my Emy interface can, something that many other newer interfaces can't do.

My old system with the 1820m interface has had 16GB since I first built it based on an ASUS m/b. I don't recall getting the symptoms you describe but then again, I no longer use it to record like I used to. I mainly keep the 1820m "going" so I can support a few remote support folks that still do.

Rawl

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”