How do I use DeClick with Resolve?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. The help file explains what the software does but not how to do it. Two youtube vids show people playing with it but don't explain. Can't find any sort of tutorial vid. So I played with it for an hour.

I added the suite to Resolve. It shows in Effects. I can open it. I can play my clip so that blip(s) representing the clicks I want removed, show in the DeClick window.

I have some wilderness footage. It has 3 or so loud camera click sounds that need to be removed. May I ask, what are the steps to make it happen?

Personally, I wouldn't use a VST for this. There's a far more efficient way, but it takes a bit of a learning curve. That said, I've never used Resolve, but if I wanted to remove "3 or so loud camera clicks" from a video, it would be far quicker for me to just do it manually. The trick to doing it is, first, export the audio stream from the video to a .wav file. Then I would load it into an audio editor like Cool Edit and zoom-in graphically to where the camera click is located, which is probably not even a few milliseconds. Then I would select and copy the same amount of audio in milliseconds either in front or in back of the camera click, so when the click is deleted and the copied selection above is pasted, the audio doesn't go out of sync when the stream is re-encoded back into the video. Most video software has a way to do this by adding .wav files to a new line, so this shouldn't be a problem. Just by looking a screenshot from Resolve, this definitely looks possible. So for that, I would just mute the audio from the original video and add the new exported/edited .wav file to another line in the video software before exporting the newly edited video. :idea:

Thank you but this is not good news. I just paid $100 for this program. On the Davinci Resolve forum it was pointed out that there is no click pop remover in the program and that a VST was best. This program was specifically mentioned.

Does this program's declicker actually remove clicks? If so, how?

@ NickMDal - Who makes the DeClick plugin you're using - is it iZotope, Acon, or someone else?
@ jp008 - Your method only works if there's nothing else happening audio-wise at the same time as the click.

Hi Windstontaneous. It is Acon.

Last edited by jp008 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by jp008 on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winstontaneous wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:36 pm @ jp008 - Your method only works if there's nothing else happening audio-wise at the same time as the click.
I think you mean if there isn't any talking, which is is true - to a certain extent. If there's silence, then replacing the camera clicks with a few milliseconds of the same silence would be ideal. On the other hand, if the clicks are located where someone is talking, you would just hear a slight stutter, but only if the click is located exactly on someone's voice, so it's a bit of a hit-or-miss situation. Personally, I would take my chances. Sometimes trying to find the right VST can be a bit of a waste of time.. and money. I've actually tried Acon DeClick in the past, as well as others like Waves X-Click or X-Noise. None of them ever worked well for me because they made things sound garbled or 'watery', kinda like an old MP3 file the was encoded under 128khz.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”